Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive brake dust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owner of a new X. I drive about ~800 miles a week, with car washes each week. I have noticed on all 4 wheels (20" silver stock wheels) that there is quite a bit of brake dust. I understand the pads and rotors are Brembo and designed for racing applications, but the amount of dust coming from them considering that regenerative braking is set to standard, and most of the mileage is 95% highway seems excessive.

This is what the brake dust looks like on all 4 wheels after 1 week/~900 miles.

Does this seem excessive or normal?

IMG_20190716_101143.jpg IMG_20190716_101127.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thank you for asking this question!
I kept looking at my standard silver 20" wheels thinking man those are nasty!

I remember in the distant past brake dust covers to keep the wheels clean...
They would probably foul up the airflow/cooling of the brakes.
Maybe the different pads are the answer.

Shawn

Hi Guys,

Thank you for asking this question!
I kept looking at my standard silver 20" wheels thinking man those are nasty!

I remember in the distant past brake dust covers to keep the wheels clean...
They would probably foul up the airflow/cooling of the brakes.
Maybe the different pads are the answer.

Shawn
From my experience owning German cars, ceramics seem the way to go although considerably more money...

The dust happened on quite a few of cars that I've owned. To clean them, I wore a pair of disposable latex gloves and grabbed a disposable microfiber towel, then I just gentle wiped the dust off the wheels. Both the latex gloves and microfiber towels can be bought at Costco. Just want to share.

I have a non P X Raven. Not doing as many miles as OP, but 1500 miles in a month and they seem normal (for new brakes) to me. Some dust, but not bad or unusual.

What wh/mi is OP getting (and speeds). That would give a hint on how spirited they drive. My lifetime is 280 wh/mi. Typical highway is 65 mph.

My concern is the wear. My Model X is a 2020 delivered in February. Massive brake dust along the sides and rear of the car, and of course nasty black crap on the wheels as reported by others. Just driving 15 miles on surface streets results in loads of brake dust along the sides!!

How DO you folks drive? It‘s an EV with powerful re-gen braking!! All my wheels ever do is collect road grime. Brake dust is rare (emergency braking will generate some dust). Cleaning is aiming a pressure washer and poof, it‘s gone.

Concerned about wear? I sold my MS with 220000km and original pads and discs.

How DO you folks drive? It‘s an EV with powerful re-gen braking!!

Smoooooth and slowwwww. I am loving the Tesla because I can drive so smooth and so slow. My game in cars since I was a kid has been to match my Dad's skill at applying the brakes way before I need to be stopped and not having to apply more or let up. Constant deceleration. I also try to arrive at a red light right as it turns green. No "charge up, slam on the brakes" for me. That's sh***y driving.

I clean my wheels somewhat frequently. That means I use a microfiber to wipe the wheels down every 3 days or so. Luckily the black 22’s hides the dust decently too.

I also notice the brake dust does build on the performance red calipers and they need to be wiped down too.

I used the re-gen braking a lot but the X weighs 6,000 lbs so if/when standard brakes are used I’m sure the pads are going to let off enough dust.

Does the H function use any of the standard braking components when engaged?

Does the H function use any of the standard braking components when engaged?

Yes. Hold mode will engage the friction brakes just before stop because at that point, there is not enough kinetic energy left stop the car with re-gen only. Any EV that offers „full single pedal driving“ uses friction brakes this way as far as I know. Putting current on the e-motor(s) in reverse to stop and hold a car still, is too costly in terms of energy consumption.

Yes. Hold mode will engage the friction brakes just before stop because at that point, there is not enough kinetic energy left stop the car with re-gen only. Any EV that offers „full single pedal driving“ uses friction brakes this way as far as I know. Putting current on the e-motor(s) in reverse to stop and hold a car still, is too costly in terms of energy consumption.

makes sense. so while re-gen braking is great (no complaints there from me) the use of the "conventional" brakes does seem to be in use quite often too. i still believe based on the weight of the X, the OEM pads are going to let off a dust more-so that we want.

I still don‘t understand why you guys generate so much dust. Re-gen on the X is strong enough for normal use. It‘s 81kW of force „pulling you backwards“. If full re-gen (81kW) is available (battery warm enough) then I rarely/hardly need the friction brakes except for the obvious last few meters for a stoplight. And I don‘t drive like grandma...
In the winter, I pre-heat the battery to have full re-gen available from the get go. I love not having to clean my rims. I just hose them down with a pressure washer.

Folks that drive their cars like they stole them should not wonder about dust build up of course, nor should they complain.

The factory pads (Brembo) are a compromise between braking performance, initial bite, not glazing over under repeated heavy use, not squealing, even wear, not eating up the rotor etc. etc. etc.
You can’t have it all.

I still don‘t understand why you guys generate so much dust. Re-gen on the X is strong enough for normal use. It‘s 81kW of force „pulling you backwards“. If full re-gen (81kW) is available (battery warm enough) then I rarely/hardly need the friction brakes except for the obvious last few meters for a stoplight. And I don‘t drive like grandma...
In the winter, I pre-heat the battery to have full re-gen available from the get go. I love not having to clean my rims. I just hose them down with a pressure washer.

Folks that drive their cars like they stole them should not wonder about dust build up of course, nor should they complain.

The factory pads (Brembo) are a compromise between braking performance, initial bite, not glazing over under repeated heavy use, not squealing, even wear, not eating up the rotor etc. etc. etc.
You can’t have it all.
The biggest surprise for me, coming from a 3 to an X, is the brake dust. I don’t really drive aggressively and I actually try to approach stop signs and traffic lights in a way that I minimally use the friction brakes. Maybe the pad composition was different, but I rarely had to clean the wheels of my 3 between normal car washes. The X builds up dust not only on the wheels, but on the sides of the car, as well. I can’t say that I recall having to ever clean it off the side of any car I’ve ever owned. Yes; my car is white, so maybe that adds to my woes, but I just didn’t expect this much dust from a vehicle with regen braking.