Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive supercharging voids warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize for getting this thread off topic with my "metric vs. imperial" comment while we wait on the OP's escalation result. But I do appreciate the stories about co-existing with both measurement systems. I find myself constantly pushing the in/mm button on my electronic caliper when comparing specs. Had to do the same when performing some hardware projects at work (was a semiconductor test engineer for 4+ decades but also had to do some mechanical work at various times). 25.4, 1.6, 3.3, 2.2, 28 are some of the factors I quickly learned that gets me close enough to the correct answer.
And in construction, having to have this made-up created fake unit that is 120 centimeters for measuring lumber because a meter can't be evenly divided by 2, 3, or 4 like a yard can.
Just curious... what's so special about 120cm or 47 1/4" in construction?

Reactions: Genie
I saw a funny article on this several years ago talking about how informally, some people in metric type countries still use some things like teaspoons and cups for cooking things that are just common utensils because they seem a little more intuitive than trying to measure out something in milliliters.
And then there are those countries that use weight instead of volume for recipes, because..... it's just so much more accurate? A cup of sifted flour? A quarter-cup of chopped parsley?

Not to mention - a clove of garlic? A "medium" shallot? A "small" onion? Are you kidding me????

Reactions: Avatempest
And then there are those countries that use weight instead of volume for recipes, because..... it's just so much more accurate? A cup of sifted flour? A quarter-cup of chopped parsley?

Not to mention - a clove of garlic? A "medium" shallot? A "small" onion? Are you kidding me????
It really depends, at least for me, on what I'm doing in the kitchen. If I'm cooking it's the wild west in there. A pinch of this a handful of that. What do we have in the crisper drawer that needs to get used up? If I'm baking I get out a scale and consult the hygrometer, cause baking is science. And yeah I measure in grams and milliliters cause science uses metric.

All this talk of cooking reminds of a Thanksgiving story. My friend's wife was cooking the turkey. She got a cooking bag from a friend. The said instructions said put the turkey and fixins in the bag, set oven and cook x hours. After x hours she took it out, the bird was barely warm and white as a baby's arse. The temperature was in Celsius. Of course, her friend was originally from Europe.

I still have 2+ years left on the unlimited warranty and I refuse to stop using the car. I will lose nearly the entire value of car in depreciation so being able to put another 150,000-200,000km on car between the end seems only fair to me?
And, if anyone wonders why Tesla does not support V2G and why they charge extra to unlock performance mode on Model 3s and Ys. Folks will go out and abuse the warranty. Tesla has to protect themselves by ensuring one cannot put unreasonable wear on their vehicles, then force them to warranty them.
There may be a warranty violation in
One of my popular destinations (other work office) also has one coincidentally nearby.
If the OP claims or has claimed a tax deduction or company reimbursement on the vehicle for driving between work offices as a business expense, Tesla might be able to legitimately claim that the car is being used for commercial purposes.
I'm not a lawyer, I'm just an engineer who has had to worry about designing around warranty abuse. Actually, however, this is just another idea from another clown on the internet.

And, if anyone wonders why Tesla does not support V2G and why they charge extra to unlock performance mode on Model 3s and Ys. Folks will go out and abuse the warranty. Tesla has to protect themselves by ensuring one cannot put unreasonable wear on their vehicles, then force them to warranty them.

If the OP claims or has claimed a tax deduction or company reimbursement on the vehicle for driving between work offices as a business expense, Tesla might be able to legitimately claim that the car is being used for commercial purposes.
I'm not a lawyer, I'm just an engineer who has had to worry about designing around warranty abuse. Actually, however, this is just another idea from another clown on the internet.

As far as unlimited supercharging is concerned, please remember those that have it, paid exorbitant prices for their vehicles at a time when Tesla was a niche automaker. They essentially bank rolled the build out of the supercharger network and the development of the newer more affordable cars. That very small percentage of customers are the reason Tesla grew into the company it is today. They took a chance and bought, very expensive, vehicles that initially had very few locations where they could redeem that unlimited supercharging.

Additionally, not a single customer forced Tesla to offer unlimited supercharging. Redeeming that supercharger offer is not abuse. Driving to and from work is not abuse, its a normal function of owning a personal transportation vehicle. Driving a set monthly sales route would probably be abuse but would depend entirely on the laws in the country the vehicle is being used in(OP indicated they are not in US).

why would it be a warranty violation?

And why is it abuse? I paid a lot of money for the car and the offer was free supercharging? What exactly is abusive about this? I would also point out that Tesla doesn't exactly give a *sugar* in reply, having devalued everyones car willy nilly.
As far as unlimited supercharging is concerned, please remember those that have it, paid exorbitant prices for their vehicles at a time when Tesla was a niche automaker. They essentially bank rolled the build out of the supercharger network and the development of the newer more affordable cars. That very small percentage of customers are the reason Tesla grew into the company it is today. They took a chance and bought, very expensive, vehicles that initially had very few locations where they could redeem that unlimited supercharging.

Additionally, not a single customer forced Tesla to offer unlimited supercharging. Redeeming that supercharger offer is not abuse. Driving to and from work is not abuse, its a normal function of owning a personal transportation vehicle. Driving a set monthly sales route would probably be abuse but would depend entirely on the laws in the country the vehicle is being used in(OP indicated they are not in US).

Thank you. I think people forget these cars were pretty expensive back then and it was a gamble they would open up more superchargers etc.

Don't get me wrong I have done okay out of my particular arrangement, but for every person like myself there are probably 500 that didn't use almost any free supercharging.....I routinely see cars with 50-100km on the clock where they say they barely used it...

Anyway, Tesla apologised for the misunderstanding and have agreed to do whatever is required. So happy ending.

why would it be a warranty violation?
If a tax deduction is taken for the car "for business use" as many folks with multiple offices do (in fact, I know of doctors who keep a small office near their homes that they take patients in perhaps 1 day per week) and the warranty does not cover use "for business use", there could be an issue. i'm not a lawyer though.

And why is it abuse?
The Supercharger network was originally (naively, IMHO) assumed to be used only for long distance travel. The naive Musk couldn't envision people who could pay nearly $100K for a car wasting 30 minutes on a regular basis to charge their cars to save a few $ worth of home electricity and/or the cost to install a home charger. Is that abuse?

If the cars had V2L and you used your free Supercharging to charge your car, then drove home and ran your home from it, that would almost indisputable abuse. Granted what is 'abuse' is rife for interpretation and we know most people tend to interpret things like that in their own favor.
Anyway, Tesla apologised for the misunderstanding and have agreed to do whatever is required. So happy ending.
Sadly, Tesla, like most companies, must yield to internet bullying.
I paid a lot of money for the car and the offer was free supercharging? What exactly is abusive about this?
I submit that the above comments easily support why Tesla, sadly, does not support V2L or V2G with their cars.
Its easy to foresee:
"I paid a lot of money for the car and the offer was free supercharging and V2L so I Supercharge for free and run my whole house off of it, my 12 pottery kilnsk, and sell power to all of my neighbors too. What exactly is abusive about this?"
It reminds me of the family I saw at Costco where they bought 4 of the $1.50 hotdog special (hot dog and a free fountain drink). They ate their hot dogs, filled one cup with soda, took 4 straws and drank from the same cup, refilling several times. They then took their other 3 cups and filled them with the free ketchup, mustard, and relish, put lids on them and left. "They paid a lot of money for the hotdog special and the offer was free ketchup, mustard, relish, and unlimited soda refills? What, exactly, is abusive about that?"

The Supercharger network was originally (naively, IMHO) assumed to be used only for long distance travel. The naive Musk couldn't envision people who could pay nearly $100K for a car wasting 30 minutes on a regular basis to charge their cars to save a few $ worth of home electricity and/or the cost to install a home charger. Is that abuse?
This paragraph is kind of nonsense. It's pretending that high rise condos and apartments in big cities don't exist or that Musk was unaware of that. Tesla even had statements on their website about how they were trying to build out more Superchargers in cities for apartment dwellers.

This paragraph is kind of nonsense. It's pretending that high rise condos and apartments in big cities don't exist or that Musk was unaware of that. Tesla even had statements on their website about how they were trying to build out more Superchargers in cities for apartment dwellers.
I noticed that you omitted describing the folks who externalize their personal parking costs by parking on public streets, but only mention those who put their $ in the pockets of the speculative condo and apartment builders instead of retaining control of their lives so they can easily put their own charging in.
Those high rise (and low-rise) condo and apartment dwellers could pretty much always put in their own charging. It is often a lot more expensive than doing so in a single-family dwelling. It generally does not, however, cost more than the cost difference between a multi-family dwelling and a free-standing home so a condo or apartment owner who wants home charging can still install one for net-cheaper cost than a free-standing home owner.
Note: I've lived in and/or owned all of the aforementioned housing tenures myself, some in the 24 years since I started driving an EV, but that doesn't negate the fact that those folks (and I) chose to not spend the money for home charging and instead, relied on (or expected) others to provide it for us.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
If a tax deduction is taken for the car "for business use" as many folks with multiple offices do (in fact, I know of doctors who keep a small office near their homes that they take patients in perhaps 1 day per week) and the warranty does not cover use "for business use", there could be an issue. i'm not a lawyer though.

If the cars had V2L and you used your free Supercharging to charge your car, then drove home and ran your home from it, that would almost indisputable abuse. Granted what is 'abuse' is rife for interpretation and we know most people tend to interpret things like that in their own favor.

Sadly, Tesla, like most companies, must yield to internet bullying.

I submit that the above comments easily support why Tesla, sadly, does not support V2L or V2G with their cars.
Its easy to foresee:
"I paid a lot of money for the car and the offer was free supercharging and V2L so I Supercharge for free and run my whole house off of it, my 12 pottery kilnsk, and sell power to all of my neighbors too. What exactly is abusive about this?"
It reminds me of the family I saw at Costco where they bought 4 of the $1.50 hotdog special (hot dog and a free fountain drink). They ate their hot dogs, filled one cup with soda, took 4 straws and drank from the same cup, refilling several times. They then took their other 3 cups and filled them with the free ketchup, mustard, and relish, put lids on them and left. "They paid a lot of money for the hotdog special and the offer was free ketchup, mustard, relish, and unlimited soda refills? What, exactly, is abusive about that?"

You are clearing chatting rubbish about warranty, clearly you are not a lawyer or even someone with common sense if Tesla agreed with me and apologised for the misunderstanding. And no there was no "internet bullying" the escalation contact immediately said there was no issue and apologised. Probably some overzealous people somewhere reading your posts.

And no the süpercharger network was not sold to me as long distance travel at all. I talked before I purchased the car a lot and it was clearly stated it was there to be used whenever you wanted.

And why are you bringing in hypotheticals about retarded ideas such as costco and trying to charge my home or implying I would? I am normal man working in a professional job, who was using a car.......for what a car was intended to do. I purchased a car advertised for a certain feature and used it. Your continuing attempts to portray me as some kind of gypsy is dishonest and a bit pathetic.

I have an early 2017 Tesla S that I purchased 2nd hand (less than 1 year old, got a fantastic price for it with unlimited supercharging linked to car for life not owner) which I have used rather....robustly.
so, apparently, whomever sold you the car:

And no the süpercharger network was not sold to me as long distance travel at all. I talked before I purchased the car a lot and it was clearly stated it was there to be used whenever you wanted.
perhaps did not know the original intent of Supercharging.

Since you're getting personal, however:
Regardless, thanks for jacking up the cost of Teslas for the rest of us by your robust use and their having to cover your warrantee, clearly a lot at our expense while you
got a fantastic price for it
which kind of conflicts with
I paid a lot of money for the car
Also, thanks for pushing them to honor the warranty for your "robust" use since I also point out that your type of behavior is a big reason Tesla does not support V2G or V2L.

As far as:
there was no "internet bullying"
this:
So I am probably a bit of an edge case. I have an early 2017 Tesla S that I purchased 2nd hand (less than 1 year old, got a fantastic price for it with unlimited supercharging linked to car for life not owner) which I have used rather....robustly. I live less than 1km from a charging station and travel with it quite a lot. One of my popular destinations (other work office) also has one coincidentally nearby.

So since owning, I have put on around 400,000 km of supercharged battery. I recently got an error on the car and scheduled a repair. However I am having trouble with them.

Am I right in thinking that I did not break any rules in particular? Yes I think I got good value from the supercharging and maybe its not a normal amount, but was it in the rules? I still have several years of warranty left and think it should be covered? I am fairly certain that by the time I am finished with the warranty that my car will not be worth a lot....
isn't exactly a quiet conversation between you and Tesla is it?
Good that it worked out for #1, enjoy the free ketchup, mustard, and relish as well. Hopefully, there aren't too many like you or Costco will have to provide wasteful, plastic, single-portion packets of ketchup, mustard, and relish like the rest have had to resort to.

so, apparently, whomever sold you the car:

perhaps did not know the original intent of Supercharging.

Since you're getting personal, however:
Regardless, thanks for jacking up the cost of Teslas for the rest of us by your robust use and their having to cover your warrantee, clearly a lot at our expense while you

which kind of conflicts with

Also, thanks for pushing them to honor the warranty for your "robust" use since I also point out that your type of behavior is a big reason Tesla does not support V2G or V2L.

As far as:

this:

isn't exactly a quiet conversation between you and Tesla is it?
Good that it worked out for #1, enjoy the free ketchup, mustard, and relish as well. Hopefully, there aren't too many like you or Costco will have to provide wasteful, plastic, single-portion packets of ketchup, mustard, and relish like the rest have had to resort to.

No, I talked to Tesla as they have a centre near where I am and I talked to them. Stop trying to find holes.

I am not sure I was jacking up the price, more like I paid the price for making Tesla cheaper for everyone else. Or in your retarded world, should I nobly have paid for a new battery myself? Bearing in mind the cost that I paid for 2017 Tesla.......which included a 8 year warranty for such eventualities.

And your continuing to pick holes is just getting embarrassing. If I purchase a 1 million euro Ferrari for 850,000, it's a great price........I still paid a lot though.....

And no, my usage is not the reason whatever V2G or V2L is. It's a warranty repair for a battery that appears to have failed. Tesla offered an unlimited KM warranty for a reason. And they honoured the reason.

And how is it not a quiet conversation between me and Tesla? I have provided no screenshots, no recordings nothing, just a couple posts on a random internet forum.

Honestly this is a little bit embarrassing now. Stop digging you're nearly through the crust!