Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive supercharging voids warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am probably a bit of an edge case. I have an early 2017 Tesla S that I purchased 2nd hand (less than 1 year old, got a fantastic price for it with unlimited supercharging linked to car for life not owner) which I have used rather....robustly. I live less than 1km from a charging station and travel with it quite a lot. One of my popular destinations (other work office) also has one coincidentally nearby.

So since owning, I have put on around 400,000 km of supercharged battery. I recently got an error on the car and scheduled a repair. However I am having trouble with them.

Am I right in thinking that I did not break any rules in particular? Yes I think I got good value from the supercharging and maybe its not a normal amount, but was it in the rules? I still have several years of warranty left and think it should be covered? I am fairly certain that by the time I am finished with the warranty that my car will not be worth a lot....

There is a supercharging fair use policy.

It includes:

Supercharger Fair Use​

To help ensure that Superchargers are available for their intended use, unless you charge on a pay per use basis, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used:

• as a taxi;
  • for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
  • to commercially deliver or transport goods;
  • for government purposes; or
  • for any other commercial venture.

This went into effect for all vehicles purchased after Dec. 15, 2017. Look like you bought the vehicle before this date, so you should be good.

Reactions: Rocky_H
There is no limit to my knowledge about SuperCharging. And nothing that should void the warranty.

Thank you.

At 400000km I think you would be out of warranty anyway...

Why? I have unlimited km warranty?

There is a supercharging fair use policy.

It includes:

Supercharger Fair Use​

To help ensure that Superchargers are available for their intended use, unless you charge on a pay per use basis, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used:

• as a taxi;
  • for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
  • to commercially deliver or transport goods;
  • for government purposes; or
  • for any other commercial venture.

This went into effect for all vehicles purchased after Dec. 15, 2017. Look like you bought the vehicle before this date, so you should be good.

Thanks. Yes I was before this and I am in Europe as well.

I am having trouble with them.
This is totally vague and doesn't tell us anything. What are they saying? What kind of trouble?

As @Johann Koeber pointed out, there was a policy put in place about business or commercial use of Supercharging, but if it's all just personal usage for you as an individual, then there is no limit at all and nothing that could void your warranty or affect any coverage, and they are not allowed to refuse to fulfill their warranty obligations because of this.

Reactions: bhzmark
They mentioned that I had a high energy usage per KM and the man was like do you take off from every light or something? And yes I would be first to say I drive hard, but I don't see why that is an issue? Also the area is quite mountainous and cold so that really gives it a beating.

He mentioned that it was obscenely high km for just supercharger and I cited the above that it was in-fact not against terms of conditions. I asked for escalation and it has been raised. I still have 2+ years left on the unlimited warranty and I refuse to stop using the car. I will lose nearly the entire value of car in depreciation so being able to put another 150,000-200,000km on car between the end seems only fair to me? I would do the same in a benzin car so what is problem?

Anyway will update once the escalation has been resolved.

for the record I have averaged 350 wh/km over 400,000 km so hardly outrageous.

@highkmcar - entire situation is strange.

As presented, I can't ID anything to why TSLA would move to void your warranty.

If you feel comfortable sharing, can you post any correspondence you've had with Tesla on the issues (estimates, in-app chats, etc.)? Might help the hive mind here lock in on what's the issue.

for the record I have averaged 350 wh/km over 400,000 km so hardly outrageous.
I'm used to seeing wh / mile, since I'm American, but that already surprised me, because the wh / km is supposed to be LOWER than we usually see. That is equal to 560 wh / mile, which is really really high!
Also the area is quite mountainous and cold so that really gives it a beating.
Makes sense then that it runs high.

"Distance driven". Avoids the metric vs. imperial war.
Let the war rage.

Are you not entertained!

Actually I was stationed in Europe so I can flip back and forth pretty easily.

While over there I would get asked why Americans persist with imperial and I would always tell them it's because metric has no correlative for feet and inches, and that feet and inches are very intuitive lengths. A foot being around the length of your forearm and an inch the length of your thumb. It makes them easy to estimate. I know a foot is around a 3rd of a meter, and an inch around 2.5 cm but those are conversions, not really correlatives. Even for someone like me who has lived in a metric system imperial is just more intuitive.

Anyway I find it humorous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
While over there I would get asked why Americans persist with imperial and I would always tell them it's because metric has no correlative for feet and inches, and that feet and inches are very intuitive lengths.
I saw a funny article on this several years ago talking about how informally, some people in metric type countries still use some things like teaspoons and cups for cooking things that are just common utensils because they seem a little more intuitive than trying to measure out something in milliliters.

And in construction, having to have this made-up created fake unit that is 120 centimeters for measuring lumber because a meter can't be evenly divided by 2, 3, or 4 like a yard can.

Reactions: Avatempest
I'm used to seeing wh / mile, since I'm American, but that already surprised me, because the wh / km is supposed to be LOWER than we usually see. That is equal to 560 wh / mile, which is really really high!

Makes sense then that it runs high.

Oh wow I didn't even catch that it was in wh/km. I think I am under 300 wh/mile, so 350 wouldn't be that far off, and was perplexed at why the range was so low. Now it kind of makes sense, especially with the mountainous driving. If you're spending almost twice as much energy to go a mile, I suppose you should expect about half the range.

I saw a funny article on this several years ago talking about how informally, some people in metric type countries still use some things like teaspoons and cups for cooking things that are just common utensils because they seem a little more intuitive than trying to measure out something in milliliters.

And in construction, having to have this made-up created fake unit that is 120 centimeters for measuring lumber because a meter can't be evenly divided by 2, 3, or 4 like a yard can.
Can confirm. I live in Canada (metric) but we use cups and teaspoons often for cooking. I use celcius for temperatures except water (a pool etc) where we use farenheit, although boiling water would obviously be 100C :) ). I use kilometers for distance in general but feet when measuring a room size, cutting lumber to size etc . Yep, it's weird.