TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Expanding UK Supercharger sites

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Brunel, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Brunel

Brunel Member

We’ve Got You Covered

Expanding the UK Supercharger Network

June 17, 2015
    Tesla’s UK Supercharger network continues growing to enable routes to the West of Scotland and Eastern England. Seven Supercharger stations will be added at motorway services with additional UK motorway locations in the works to be announced soon. The Supercharger network extends across Europe as well, so Model S drivers can drive from Edinburgh to Venice or from Tenby to Trieste.
    In just one year, Tesla Superchargers throughout the United Kingdom have powered more than two million electric miles. Starting with the first Tesla supercharger location in Royal Victoria Docks, London, there are now 68 Superchargers at 22 Supercharger stations across the country. They have enabled Model S drivers to save more than 350,000 litres of petrol and 1,000 tons of CO2.
    With a range of up to 310 miles and Tesla’s worldwide fast charging network, Model S makes road trips a pleasure. Supercharging is free for long distance travel on any properly equipped Model S and provides half a charge in as little as 20 minutes. New UK supercharging stations will be conveniently located on motorways. Existing Superchargers are on major routes near amenities like hotels, business parks and restaurants to allow travellers to stop for a quick meal or coffee break.
    Building a dense network of charging solutions is just one of the ways Tesla is proving the benefits of owning a Model S, whether the road takes you to Loch Lomond or Ljubljana.

2. 4dz

4dz Member

But where?! I guess the one on the M25 (South Mimms) might open, be interesting to see where else!

3. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Tesla and Ecotricity have settled out of court, so I would expect to see a lot of superchargers at motorway service stations reasonably quickly.

South Mimms and Hopwood Park will finally get commissioned, but no idea where the other 5 are as yet...

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

Finally. My impression of the whole situation was a petty clash of big egos.

5. arg

arg Member

Curious that they say "East of England" and "New superchargers will be conveniently located on Motorways". We don't have many motorways in the East of England, and the one we have got (M11) doesn't have any formal service areas. Ecotricity also don't have any charging here either, apart from the "Cambridge Services".

6. 4dz

4dz Member

7. politeperson

politeperson Member

I'll put £7.50 on the Extra Services at Peterborough.

8. smac

smac Active Member

Completely agree! A1 opened up as an alternative to the M1 when it gets clogged, and logical route if coming from down here to the Euro tunnel.

Is it enough for me to agree to pay for Supercharging, which to date has been better off in my pocket... tough decision.

I'm still torn, I'm two years before swapping, and not having it has not caused me a single problem I couldn't resolve by using my ICE instead, so for 2 trips a year the sums don't work out.

9. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

I see South Mimms is already on-line - 2 bays and next to the Ecotricity ones.

10. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Where is it exactly? It's not in supercharge.info ?

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Calais. It's on the main TM.com map.

12. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Ah, I thought it was on the UK side. So this is odd. The Tesla Motors website says it has 2 stalls, but your picture shows 4 stalls.

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

So did I at first, which is why I posted in here but quickly deleted again. You quoted me before I deleted it.

No idea about the stalls thing though...

14. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Problem solved! The Calais SuperCharger seems to be upgraded to 4 permanent stalls. That's what seems to be happening.

The roundabout is also LHD orientated, so this seems to be in France.

15. thegruf

thegruf Member

I think it was that for sure, but a bit more too.
    Ecotricity invested in charging stations at many Motorway services with an exclusivity period to help them recover the cost of their forward looking investment.
    Tesla not unreasonably said it was anti-competitive to prevent them installing their much higher spec'd Superchargers.

At the end of the day sense has prevailed to the benefit of all EV owners.
    And it's not often that happens these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Where's the best and most up to date UK supercharger map?

16. Brunel

Brunel Member

The Calais SC seems to be confusing people because it is so unannounced. From what I can tell you have the current 2 SCs at Coquelles outside terminal, but now there are 4 new SCs built, but not powered at the Calais terminal / duty free / waiting area.

Also, people are surmising that some groundworks at UK side of Eurotunnel is for SCs (or maybe DBT Chademo).

17. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Yes it appears that in addition to the existing Calais supercharger site (which has 2 bays live as well as planned space for 4 more), an entirely new SC site is being installed inside the Calais Eurotunnel Terminal, with 4 SC bays (and 2 x DBT chargers).

I've also seen a photo of some groundworks in the car park at the Folkestone Eurotunnel Terminal but they don't look like they're for a supercharger (or any kind of charger) to me. There are no cable ducts for a start.

18. Gerasimental

Gerasimental Member

Oxford under construction!
    Just my luck, this happens 2 days before I leave Oxford for good (for now). Will still drive past and check it out.

19. smac

smac Active Member

Arguably the one in the car ;) In theory it should also know which ones are in use and route you optimally. (Though without wanting to further bash the sat nav more, without way points it's still fallible :( )

In a perfect world we shouldn't need to know, and just be able to drive anywhere safe in the knowledge we are never outside range of one. In other words exactly the same way as I've never needed a complete map of the UK's petrol stations ;) :D

20. Timr1965

Timr1965 New Member

Hopwood Park M42 j2 is being installed currently

Hopwood is being commission, I will let you know when it is online.

Can everyone keep this post updated as new sites are being installed?

Great news for Tesla Owners

Attached Files: