Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expections for Delivery of an Inventory Vehicle with Higher Mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excited to be joining the Tesla family! I pulled the trigger on a inventory Model S with 14k miles that was a service loaner. What should my expectations be for the condition of the vehicle? My owner advisor said the vehicle will be all cleaned up but the only thing is the seats are tan so they might show some wear.

I'm leaning towards leasing since I'll be able to write off a portion of the lease as a business expensive. Is there anything I should keep in mind with delivery such as tire depth? I've read quite a few tire issues so I'm worried that a vehicle with this much mileage will need tires sooner than later.

Attachments

• TeslaDesign.png
    TeslaDesign.png
    449.2 KB · Views: 121
Excited to be joining the Tesla family! I pulled the trigger on a inventory Model S with 14k miles that was a service loaner. What should my expectations be for the condition of the vehicle? My owner advisor said the vehicle will be all cleaned up but the only thing is the seats are tan so they might show some wear.

I'm leaning towards leasing since I'll be able to write off a portion of the lease as a business expensive. Is there anything I should keep in mind with delivery such as tire depth? I've read quite a few tire issues so I'm worried that a vehicle with this much mileage will need tires sooner than later.

Looks to me that you have yourself a very, very good price. The tires should last a long time because you have the 19" wheels. Even if the tires are worn (which I doubt), you are saving a lot of money on what should be a very, very durable car. If they are worn, "It never hurts to ask" for a new set, but that would not be a deal breaker for me with all that is saved on this purchase.

14k is high mileage? I just took delivery of an inventory car with 40,500 miles. The tires had 7/32" tread, paint only had one scratch and a scuffed bumper - the latter of which they are replacing. Software was already at 8.0. I have had a few issues since delivery - one of the door handles won't pop out and the sunroof makes a bad squeak. I figure that when the bumper shows up I will have them address the other issues then.

Also, I'm not against leasing cars, but I can think of a few good reasons to add to the 'buy' argument; I hope this helps

1) Minnesota is one of the states that, even on a lease, requires sales tax to be paid on the full value of the car (source).
2) The $7500 tax credit they are 'including' in your purchase price goes to the lender when you lease. Sure it's probably passed along as part of the cap cost, but I can't say for sure.
3) Your car will have a 4/50k warranty, and if you decide to own you can even extend that to 8/100k as the "first" owner
4) Your car is going to qualify for 'free for life' supercharging, and if you lease, the next one won't.

My inventory car had 8k miles on it, and it was in like-new condition except for one tiny scuff on the rear inside door panel I didn't notice at delivery.

Also, I never fret about tires. Good condition, bad condition, whatever. If in bad condition, they're inexpensive enough to replace right away with better tires that I choose to put on for my specific needs, not the default OEM tire Tesla will. Even good condition tires I usually replace anyway... which is why I still have 2 Michelin 21"x265mm PS2s in my garage collecting dust (replaced with Hankooks).