Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expensive maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although they said , maintenance costs wouldn't be that high as for a fuel car, I have other experiences! I had to replace the big screen (it didn't turn at all) .. cost 3000 EUR! There was also no way of not replacing as without the screen, no radio, no airco, ..
Is it to be accepted that electronics nowadays are not lasting for 3 years (100.000KM)? Should we see a car as an iPhone and replace every 2 years now?
Model S from 2015.

Small replacements they handle well and almost always for free.

Although they said , maintenance costs wouldn't be that high as for a fuel car, I have other experiences! I had to replace the big screen (it didn't turn at all) .. cost 3000 EUR! There was also no way of not replacing as without the screen, no radio, no airco, ..
Is it to be accepted that electronics nowadays are not lasting for 3 years (100.000KM)? Should we see a car as an iPhone and replace every 2 years now?
Model S from 2015.

Yeah. I've had my center screen and my drive screen done - but both under warranty. It seems to be a weak spot - at least with the older ones.

These are low volume, high cost vehicles. They will have a high parts cost, not unlike Porsche, MB, Ferrari, etc.... I'm sure the parts for the M3 will be cheaper. If you want to see high parts prices, try owning a small aircraft for a while. The prices are beyond absurd.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Have you ever had to replace a door handle on a non-EV car?
Neither have I.

Fancy door handles on BMW X5 broke all the time AND we’re specifically excluded in the fine print of the extended warranty (meaning to me they knew). Dealer price was stupidly high, but volume was sufficient to support aftermarket replacements.

How many NON - EV cars have door handles that auto present?

I think the Range Rover Velar has auto present door handles. Given RR's track record on build quality, one can expect some issues as well ;).
If my S would have the Model 3 style door handles I would have been just as content, and it would have been less of a hassle. Fact remains that it's still something that impresses people when they walk up to my car.
Didn't have a failure up to now, but since I now talk about it, I probably just jinxed it.

My car is also out of warranty btw with 167000km on the odo.

Model S from 2015.

EVs certainly have lower maintenance costs than ICEs. We don't have to contend with oil changes, fan belts, spark plugs, air filters, oxygen sensors...
What's costing us money is bad design and build quality.