TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Expensive maintenance

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by TomTom, Aug 1, 2018.

1. TomTom

TomTom New Member

Although they said , maintenance costs wouldn't be that high as for a fuel car, I have other experiences! I had to replace the big screen (it didn't turn at all) .. cost 3000 EUR! There was also no way of not replacing as without the screen, no radio, no airco, ..
    Is it to be accepted that electronics nowadays are not lasting for 3 years (100.000KM)? Should we see a car as an iPhone and replace every 2 years now?
    Model S from 2015.

Small replacements they handle well and almost always for free.

2. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Yeah. I've had my center screen and my drive screen done - but both under warranty. It seems to be a weak spot - at least with the older ones.

These are low volume, high cost vehicles. They will have a high parts cost, not unlike Porsche, MB, Ferrari, etc.... I'm sure the parts for the M3 will be cheaper. If you want to see high parts prices, try owning a small aircraft for a while. The prices are beyond absurd.

• Helpful x 1
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

Have you ever had to replace a computer on a non-EV car? They are just as expensive, if not more. And so many cars are starting to emulate the Tesla screen positioning.

4. Inside

Inside Member

Have you ever had to replace a door handle on a non-EV car?
    Neither have I.

5. David.85D

David.85D Member

Fancy door handles on BMW X5 broke all the time AND we’re specifically excluded in the fine print of the extended warranty (meaning to me they knew). Dealer price was stupidly high, but volume was sufficient to support aftermarket replacements.

6. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

How many NON - EV cars have door handles that auto present?

7. xveys

xveys Member

I think the Range Rover Velar has auto present door handles. Given RR's track record on build quality, one can expect some issues as well ;).
    If my S would have the Model 3 style door handles I would have been just as content, and it would have been less of a hassle. Fact remains that it's still something that impresses people when they walk up to my car.
    Didn't have a failure up to now, but since I now talk about it, I probably just jinxed it.

My car is also out of warranty btw with 167000km on the odo.

8. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

EVs certainly have lower maintenance costs than ICEs. We don't have to contend with oil changes, fan belts, spark plugs, air filters, oxygen sensors...
    What's costing us money is bad design and build quality.