Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(experience) adding FSD after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So still debating whether I wanted to add FSD so I thought I’d give Tesla a call and see what the process was.

TLDR: Process to add FSD driving for model 3 seems to have not been trained to employees and was a complete clusterF.

First I called my local service center and they I no idea what I was talking about. She kept calling it cruise control and told me that I already had it. And then she put me on hold to ask her colleagues, and she came back to tell me that FSD doesn’t exist yet due to Federal regulations, so its not a feature I can add to my Tesla yet. Probably a new employee so I just politely ended the phone call.

Next call was to my ISA who redirected me to the main tesla hotline. Main Tesla hotline told me I should be able to do it directly in my tesla account, but they logged into my account and saw my account didnt have that option. ( Not sure if its my account specifically or all model 3’s in general, so if anyone has it in their account, lemme know!) So they redirected my phone call to the roadside assistance to call Account services. I told them that I wanted to add FSD but before I had a chance to explain the situation, they immediately redirected my call to the main Tesla helpline.

Decided to call roadside assistance back and choose option 1 (services help - super charging, auto pilot etc). Asked the guy about how to ask FSD, he put me on hold cause he didn’t know how. Came back and told me I already had it. Thinking I had somehow mistakenly gotten FSD for free, I asked him why it wasn’t showing up under my options. Turns out he meant I already had EAP.

Once we cleared that misunderstanding up, he had to put me on hold again to ask someone about it. Came back and told me that I need to call my local service center and they can add it and take payment. So here I am, almost 4 hrs later, full circle back at step 1....
Also asked him how much it would cost to add. (I know its 4000 but just wanted to see if they could waive the 1000 upcharge since I just took delivery). As he was looking through the system, he said he couldn’t find it anywhere in the Tesla database.

So at this point I do have a service center visit scheduled, for other minor issues, but no idea what to expect in regards to FSD.

Anyone else have a successful experience adding FSD after delivery?

At the moment, paying for FSD is akin to a donation to Tesla.. Hence the difficulty - you are asking to send money to Tesla and in return Tesla will do literally nothing to your car.
At this point, maybe you should buy some TSLA? If TSLA had a direct stock purchase program, I'd be happy to donate my money that way with a chance for a fair return.

Just curious, why everyone prefers to make a phone call rather than sending and email to their nearest Service Center? From my humble experience, you have much better response/turnaround that way. It is also easier to explain in writing what your request is about. If you go to Tesla website, you can search for the nearest Service Center, the results will also include the email address to use for communication.

Here's the link: Find Us | Tesla

Just curious, why everyone prefers to make a phone call rather than sending and email to their nearest Service Center? From my humble experience, you have much better response/turnaround that way. It is also easier to explain in writing what your request is about. If you go to Tesla website, you can search for the nearest Service Center, the results will also include the email address to use for communication.

Completely agree.

Agree with the others. It's probably a blessing in disguise that you can't add FSD now. It's going to be months before EAP is fully out and many more months before the first FSD features are introduced and no one is sure what that'll even look like.

YMMV. My service center doesn't answer emails. They barely answer the phone, but that is the only way to actually contact them short of showing up in person.

So still debating whether I wanted to add FSD so I thought I’d give Tesla a call and see what the process was.

TLDR: Process to add FSD driving for model 3 seems to have not been trained to employees and was a complete clusterF.

First I called my local service center and they I no idea what I was talking about. She kept calling it cruise control and told me that I already had it. And then she put me on hold to ask her colleagues, and she came back to tell me that FSD doesn’t exist yet due to Federal regulations, so its not a feature I can add to my Tesla yet. Probably a new employee so I just politely ended the phone call.

Next call was to my ISA who redirected me to the main tesla hotline. Main Tesla hotline told me I should be able to do it directly in my tesla account, but they logged into my account and saw my account didnt have that option. ( Not sure if its my account specifically or all model 3’s in general, so if anyone has it in their account, lemme know!) So they redirected my phone call to the roadside assistance to call Account services. I told them that I wanted to add FSD but before I had a chance to explain the situation, they immediately redirected my call to the main Tesla helpline.

Decided to call roadside assistance back and choose option 1 (services help - super charging, auto pilot etc). Asked the guy about how to ask FSD, he put me on hold cause he didn’t know how. Came back and told me I already had it. Thinking I had somehow mistakenly gotten FSD for free, I asked him why it wasn’t showing up under my options. Turns out he meant I already had EAP.

Once we cleared that misunderstanding up, he had to put me on hold again to ask someone about it. Came back and told me that I need to call my local service center and they can add it and take payment. So here I am, almost 4 hrs later, full circle back at step 1....
Also asked him how much it would cost to add. (I know its 4000 but just wanted to see if they could waive the 1000 upcharge since I just took delivery). As he was looking through the system, he said he couldn’t find it anywhere in the Tesla database.

So at this point I do have a service center visit scheduled, for other minor issues, but no idea what to expect in regards to FSD.

Anyone else have a successful experience adding FSD after delivery?

sounds like you've already spent at least $1000 of Tesla time trying to add it. why would they let you have it for $3000 since you already took delivery? TBH, i'd be asking for $3k as well if i were in your shoes though :)