Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expiring Free Supercharging Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is interesting...mine updated with a date now too.

and...

New referrals don't extend the expiration. If you have no banked miles a referral will set a new 6 month expiration.

That does not appear to be correct.

I have 2- both were in December 2019, one about a week after the other.

My expiration date is now December 2020.

Which would exactly match the second one adding 6 months to the expiration of the first one.

That does not appear to be correct.

I have 2- both were in December 2019, one about a week after the other.

My expiration date is now December 2020.

Which would exactly match the second one adding 6 months to the expiration of the first one.

They have changed the rules since then.

Free Supercharging miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. If all mileage on an account is used before expiration, the expiration date for the next referral is reset to 6 months.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
They have changed the rules since then.

I don't think they have.

The "previous versions" twisty at your link says the previous program ended February 2nd, 2019.

My referrals are from December 2019... which is under the current program.

The bit you quote is about what happens if you have 0 miles in your loot box when you get a new referral- not what happening if you have non-zero miles.

The NON bold part in your quote appears to cover THAT situation- the expiration date is set 6 months out from whenever new miles are added....

(Because I guess either Tesla decided having a different date for different sets of miles was confusing- or more likely their crap internal IT can't handle it)

The NON bold part in your quote appears to cover THAT situation- the expiration date is set 6 months out from whenever new miles are added....

(Because I guess either Tesla decided having a different date for different sets of miles was confusing- or more likely their crap internal IT can't handle it)

They have changed it on March 29th. It used to say that a new referral extended the expiration date by 6 months. It no longer says that:

Free Supercharger miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account, and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. Each additional referral will extend the previous expiration date by 6 months up to 36 months. If all mileage on an account is used before expiration, expiration date for the next referral is reset to 6 months.

(Even the 36 month limit was a new addition from how it was originally.)

You could read how it is now that each referral award has it's own 6 month expiration date, but then the bolded sentence would mean nothing, as that is how every referral would be treated. (But maybe they just missed removing that sentence with the last revision.)

Their rules have never been very clear...

So I'm changing my interpretation to be that starting on 3/29/2020 each Supercharging miles referral award has it's own 6 month expiration period. (But we will have to see if that is how they actually implement it.)

(But maybe they just missed removing that sentence with the last revision.)

Given how often tesla IT screws stuff up I wouldn't be, at all, surprised by that being the case- especially with that line being the same word for word as the pre 3/29 sentence.

So I'm changing my interpretation to be that starting on 3/29/2020 each Supercharging miles referral award has it's own 6 month expiration period. (But we will have to see if that is how they actually implement it.)

That, too, could be the case-though it seems overly complicated... guess we'll need to wait for data from folks with more than 1 referral since that date to know though, which is probably a relatively small group of folks under current conditions.

Just checked mine and now it says "Expires on 6/13/2020" I got the car on 11/16/2019 but the miles didn't show in the loot box until later when I checked with Sales advisor on 12/12/19 so they must've put or processed it on 12/13...

I just checked mine and I have my 325 miles left from purchasing almost a year ago, April 20th, they WERE gone, but since were added back and expired on 5/31/2020, so they must have extended it after getting complaints of them disappearing and had to save face and put them back with an expiration.

Just on Twitter. Hopefully we will get our missing ones back.

Attachments

• D9E927E0-3DFC-4869-9627-6F8EA9B75755.jpeg
    D9E927E0-3DFC-4869-9627-6F8EA9B75755.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: James88 and gcmak
When I purchased in Aug I was Not told my miles would expire nor was I told my premium connection would expire

The miles aren't part of the purchase process- but the referal page explicitly mentioned they expire.

The premium connectivity you were ABSOLUTELY told about

Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

that's a copy of Tesla.com from August 5 2019

Click on "partial premium interior" or "premium interior" to see what's included- and it specifically informs you:

Premium connectivity (1 year included)

(going back to the July 29 version says the same, so even if you ordered Aug 1 it was there)