Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extend free Supercharging for COVID?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my M3 RWD last June. Love it. Part of deal was 5,000 miles free Supercharging. However, didn’t know I had a 12-month time limit until received “reminder” recently. Wondering who/where I can advocate for an extension because of COVID & stay-at-home restrictions for last 3+ months. Insurance giving breaks because we’re not able to drive. Would be grand if Tesla would do similar for charging. Thanks, all

Does anyone know how Tesla accounts for free miles used?

I made my first trip to a Supercharger today, because my 1000 miles expire the end of June (after a COVID extension). I tanked up with 200 miles, but my app lootbox still says 868 free miles left!

I think it is actually based on kWhs, and I think the 1000 miles is based on a vehicle that uses more energy per mile, like the Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Does anyone know how Tesla accounts for free miles used?

I made my first trip to a Supercharger today, because my 1000 miles expire the end of June (after a COVID extension). I tanked up with 200 miles, but my app lootbox still says 868 free miles left!

It's not actually 1000 miles, it's actually 400 kwh of free charging. 1000 miles would be about 400 kwh based least efficient Tesla vehicle (think the P100D/Performance Model S).

I had a referral given to a friend back at end of December and my expiration for the 1,000 miles back then was 6/25/20. They did I think automatically give accounts extensions because mine changed to 7/25/20 without asking and others commented on getting extensions around the same time. I have 400 to use up before end of next month. I have almost always charged at home except on the road so for a while there wasn't using them thinking we'd take a road trip down to Central California before end of July and I'd save them for that. Well covid kind of nixed that and maybe in March I decided I might as well start supercharging to use them up while I could. I know how you feel though. Why waste them if you can help it. :) Told my husband to use my car if he wants to when he's out picking up groceries for us so maybe I can get close to exhausting them.

That's on top of the one month extension that everyone got a while ago?
I don't think so. I wrote to them way back in March, and at first was flatly refused. But then the virus really caught on, and I got the extra month. I haven't tried extending because my miles are almost gone. But, it seems to me that it wouldn't hurt to ask and keep asking. The economic damage caused by the virus isn't going away any time soon, so a case could certainly be made to extend. Squeaky wheel and all you know.

• Informative
I received my M3 24 Jan. Of this year and was told I will lose my free miles August of this year with the one month extension because of the virus. I do not feel this is fair As many others do! I am 76 years old and because of this virus I am limited to were I can travel and what I can do. Tesla as a company is doing well and there is no reason why our free mileage can’t be extended at least till sometime next year ! Give us break Elon !