Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement for a used car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can a 2nd owner buy an ESA (aka extended warranty)? Or does the original owner have to buy it and transfer it? I thought it was the latter, but upon reading the Tesla FAQ, nothing says it has to be the first/original owner; it just says this:
"Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement."​
I'm looking at a car from a private party, he's the original owner, car is still under original factory warranty. Sounds like I could buy the ESA myself later if I choose to, before the eligibility period is up (shortly after the warranty is up) thus making the purchase from him less complicated.
Is this true?
The quote above specifically disallows "3rd party dealers" and states that "Owners" can buy the ESA within the eligibility period. A 2nd owner would not be a 3rd party dealer, IMO, but what do I know.

Can a 2nd owner buy an ESA (aka extended warranty)?
There has been much debate about this. I have a 2015 CPO and while Tesla will sell me prepaid maintenance the website does not offer ESA. I believe this is likely because the original owner (2 years, 8.8K miles) did not do the required services.

You do not need to do service to be eligible for the original factory warranty.

ESA can be offered on whatever terms Tesla likes, and I believe they will only offer it when the vehicle has been subject to recommended services.

I don't think you can get extended warranty if the car belongs to anyone but the original owner. In fact I'm pretty sure of that as I remember having the original owner of my S buy it for me the day he sold the car to me.

I have a 2013 S 85 with 53k miles. In the past 3k miles (after initial warranty), I've replaced passenger door handle, rear driver side passenger door handle, rear tail light, new floor mats (thrown in) and a few other things done. My motor was also replaced at 40k miles. Just bake the warranty in the loan if you're buying it and have the original owner get it for you. Way worth it IMHO which is why I'm getting it for my X as well. The FWD scares me.

The current understanding is that Tesla recently changed the rules, so that any 2nd+ owner via private sale can buy the ESA after purchase.

See: Vehicle Warranty

But a phone call to Tesla to confirm would be prudent than relying on advice on the internet.

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

What is the eligible purchase period for Tesla Extended Service Agreements, and what do they cover?
You may purchase the Extended Service Agreement no later than 30 days or 1,000 miles (1,600 km), whichever occurs first, past the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The Extended Service Agreement covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty.

The current understanding is that Tesla recently changed the rules, so that any 2nd+ owner via private sale can buy the ESA after purchase.

See: Vehicle Warranty

But a phone call to Tesla to confirm would be prudent than relying on advice on the internet.

This is correct. With the recent changes, you don't have to be the original owner to purchase the ESA. I purchased a 2013 P85 back in August from a private seller and was disappointed to find out after the purchase that I couldn't purchase the extended warranty. (I should have been reading this site first.). On the day of the recent announcement about changes to the plans, I checked my Tesla page. Sure enough, there was the option to buy the ESA. Even better, the price was $4250 which is only supposed to be offered for the first 180(?) days after delivery. I did buy the plan and it now shows up on my vehicle.

This is correct. With the recent changes, you don't have to be the original owner to purchase the ESA. I purchased a 2013 P85 back in August from a private seller and was disappointed to find out after the purchase that I couldn't purchase the extended warranty. (I should have been reading this site first.). On the day of the recent announcement about changes to the plans, I checked my Tesla page. Sure enough, there was the option to buy the ESA. Even better, the price was $4250 which is only supposed to be offered for the first 180(?) days after delivery. I did buy the plan and it now shows up on my vehicle.

Just checked, still not available on my CPO delivered in Dec - so I'd be real careful about assuming you can get it. As I said, I believe you'll need it to have been maintained per recommendations to get the ESA. Good luck!

OK I just got confirmation from Tesla support and then again from Tesla Sales:

Currently there is no possible way to buy an ESA on a Tesla purchased from a 3rd party dealer, end of story.

For private party purchases from the original owner (so no 3rd party dealer ever held the car) the 2nd or subsequent owners can purchase an ESA at any time within the eligibility period (30 days or 1000mi after original warranty expires). So you no longer have to have the original owner buy the ESA and then transfer it to you.

This makes the value proposition of a Tesla sold by a non-Tesla dealer very different. They should be pricing their cars accordingly.

I wonder if any 3rd party extended warranty companies will insure a Tesla, and if so would they pay for work done at a Tesla service center...?

Interesting,

I purchased my 2013 from a dealer who had taken the car by trade. I inquired with Tesla last year as my car was coming up on 4 years in service and the end of my warranty and was told that since I was not the original owner, I could not purchase an ESA.

Now, after reading this thread, I logged into my MyTesla account and I do have the offer to purchase either the 2 year or 4 year ESA.

I have a used 2015 and can now purchase an ESA on the My Tesla page, per the recent guidance from Tesla.

I presume this will remain an option as I approach the four-year point as well, and may purchase it just before the warranty expires, if only for peace of mind (and despite their crazy $200 deductible).

I have a used 2015 and can now purchase an ESA on the My Tesla page, per the recent guidance from Tesla.

I presume this will remain an option as I approach the four-year point as well, and may purchase it just before the warranty expires, if only for peace of mind (and despite their crazy $200 deductible).

$200 < 2 hrs labor, ignoring parts - so crazy though it might be ...

Anyone with a CPO have this option ??? Seems like Tesla has decided because they restarted the clock, I'm out of luck at 58K / 6 years - which is a great shame as I'd be prepared to pay to extend 2 years as John5396 indicated is an option for his :(

+1 This shouldn't be this confusing, I'm shopping now and this whole topic (and it's ambiguity) makes a massive difference in availability. Any ideas on how to get a definitive answer? *I've emailed my local Tesla store.

+1 This shouldn't be this confusing, I'm shopping now and this whole topic (and it's ambiguity) makes a massive difference in availability. Any ideas on how to get a definitive answer? *I've emailed my local Tesla store.
Any update on this?
I feel that if the car is still covered under the original 4yr/50k warranty then it should be eligible for an ESA, end of story.
Now I have to verify that the current owner didn't buy it from a 3rd party dealer?? And what if they did buy it from a 3rd party dealer before I bought it from them, Tesla may or may not have a record of this and deny my ESA purchase?
This shouldn't be this confusing or difficult.