Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after 100k / 120k the car is basically disposable if you have a battery failure?

We just released the first 3rd party Service Agreement for Model S, Model X and Model 3.

We have an online tool where you can learn, see, and purchase coverage directly on our website. X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

Product Highlights
- $100 Deductible
- Exclusionary Coverage
- Highlighted Items; MCU, Instrument Cluster, Internal Charger, HVAC, Door Handles/Falcon Wing Doors, Sensors/Cameras, Air Suspension, Sunroof, etc.
- Emergency 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Trip Interruption Coverage

Let me know if you have any questions.

Xcelerate to sell third-party warranties for EVs including Teslas | Reuters

The Highlighted items are not covered? What is is there to cover?

@Garlan Garner can you explain me this?

Is it the concern that Model 3 is an expensive disposable car? I do have that concern too. I figure once warranty is up, it may be cheaper to buy a new one than to continue owning the old one.

This is what was said that he responded to;

I just think to throw some burnable carbon on the fire at this time solves nothing.

Now think about throwing "burnable carbon" on a fire.

It's a pretty well known euphemism.

ac3069165abf98a21a21b0b9d31ed7c2.gif

Reactions: outdoors
We just released the first 3rd party Service Agreement for Model S, Model X and Model 3.

We have an online tool where you can learn, see, and purchase coverage directly on our website. X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

Product Highlights
- $100 Deductible
- Exclusionary Coverage
- Highlighted Items; MCU, Instrument Cluster, Internal Charger, HVAC, Door Handles/Falcon Wing Doors, Sensors/Cameras, Air Suspension, Sunroof, etc.
- Emergency 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Trip Interruption Coverage

Let me know if you have any questions.

Xcelerate to sell third-party warranties for EVs including Teslas | Reuters
Not available in CA? Seems like there might be a few Teslas in CA, no?

• Funny
Reactions: Runnergirl
That's exactly my point! Your issues are not mileage-based, but with your high mileage you'll burn through a 4yr/50k extended warranty in the first year. That means you'll be plopping down at least $3k every year, on top of any routine maintenance. If that's not considered a "loss", then I don't know what is.

Xcelerate to sell third-party warranties for EVs including Teslas

Note that the article indicates the extended warranty needs to be purchased BEFORE the 5k mile mark!

It does not. We have offerings for Model S, Model X and Model 3. so long as your vehicle is under 100,000 mile (Tesla specific) then there is an coverage option. We are expanding our offering pretty frequently. If you are looking for a specific term then feel free to reach out to [email protected] and we can assist. As Model 3s get older, then we will have more coverage options available.

PS - i have a Model 3 with 22k miles, so I definitely have an option for people in the same boat as me :)

Reactions: Guy V
Wrong link, here's the correct one: https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

I've never purchased an extended warranty for a vehicle before, but shouldn't it "extend" the manufacturer's warranty and not apply the warranty to current date and mileage? Also, this does NOT seem to include coverage for the battery and motor(s)...yikes!

Technically "Extended Warranties" only can come from the manufacturer thus the name. X-Care is technically a vehicle service agreement with similar coverage. So in order to mimic the "extension" passed your original factory warranty, the longer coverage options are available.

I went on to Xcelerate's site. www.excelerateauto.com X-care is the product and is service is provided by Tesla Service Centers

For a 2018 Model 3 with 20k in miles they want $3500. Would not let me put more than 20k in miles box. My assumption is they don't offer more than that....

@Garlan Garner . Currently not offered in IL.

for 5,000 miles and below you get two options

10y 125k for $3700
8yr 100k for $3200

So coverage would be to 130 and 105 respectfully.

Lot's of information in the FAQ's

Not for me.....20k was so last year:p

I am working on adding a coverage option that will support newer higher mileage vehicles like yours (mine has 22k miles) you will see it in a couple days.

As far as IL goes, we will be live in IL in about 2-3 weeks. Service agreements require filing in every independent state and they all have various timeline for approvals. IL is next up on my list!

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I am working on adding a coverage option that will support newer higher mileage vehicles like yours (mine has 22k miles) you will see it in a couple days.

As far as IL goes, we will be live in IL in about 2-3 weeks. Service agreements require filing in every independent state and they all have various timeline for approvals. IL is next up on my list!
Any chance for Canada?

Reactions: navguy12
Interesting... if I put in 5000 miles on the car today I can buy 10 years/130k total miles of coverage for $3700... or 8 years/100k total miles for $3200.

If I put in 5001 miles to 10,000 miles only the 8 year option is offered, and it's $3400.

If I put in 10,001-20,000 same 8 years/100k but it's $100 more ($3500)

If I put in 20,001 miles or more no coverage is offered.

So if Garner is putting 50k a year on the car he might wanna buy sooner than later (and if he's already over 5k he's only going to get a second year of coverage out of it rather than 18 months)

Interesting... if I put in 5000 miles on the car today I can buy 10 years/130k total miles of coverage for $3700... or 8 years/100k total miles for $3200.

If I put in 5001 miles to 10,000 miles only the 8 year option is offered, and it's $3400.

If I put in 10,001-20,000 same 8 years/100k but it's $100 more ($3500)

If I put in 20,001 miles or more no coverage is offered.

So if Garner is putting 50k a year on the car he might wanna buy sooner than later (and if he's already over 5k he's only going to get a second year of coverage out of it rather than 18 months)

A coverage offering for a 20k 2018 Model 3 will be on the site by early next week. Stay tuned!

Everyone,

I have been shaken to my core and have no other words.

I called Tesla Customer Support @ 1-877-798-3752. Prompt 2 and then Prompt 2.

I told the rep that I am interested in acquiring an Extended warranty for my Model 3. He responded " At this time Tesla does not offer any extended warranties for the Model 3. "

No problem. -

I then told the rep that I'm concerned because I am putting a TON of miles on my car right now and I will probably exhaust my warranty before I've had the car for a year. I told him that if I were going to have to pay for my upcoming service appointment outside of warranty - then I would have to pay upwards to $1800 to $2000 that I don't have. I told him that I just want to know if I can speak to someone about this.

After a few min of pleasant conversation.....

He said to me " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty".

I said "Excuse me?"

and then he said this " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty - so......".

If I didn't record it on my phone I wouldn't believe it.

I don't know what to say. I'm floored.
He's right know your product.. I'm sorry if the money is a problem ifor maintenance coming up or it is out of range... another choice of car would have been better a Ford focus?

Im lost. I have 132k miles, ZERO maintenance or service. what r they doing?
I have had a lot of sw work done. New motor last week free with 3 qts of oil. New motor harness FREE.
I love my service center in Jax. Gotten loaner each time.
I got ripped off in Richmond, that is horrible sc.