Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just like insurance. How often does my house got flooded, on fire, blown away by tornado, collapsed because of earthquake?

My home hasn't experienced any mishaps but why do I still pay insurance for something that has never happened to me in the past?

Same with my good health: I haven't experienced any illness yet but why do I still pay for health insurance premium every month on my pay check?

So, if you ask me about your Model X, I would say: get it!

Repairs out of warranty can be very expensive on a Tesla (think $1,200+ a pop). If you plan on keeping it a long time, it is probably worth it. Some people don't purchase it until right before their 4 year original warranty is done.

Google " How much is a Tesla extended warranty" and look around at the results. It may help you with your decision. Also keep in mind that there is a difference between the Service Plan and the Extended Service Agreement. From what I read, the Extended Service Agreement can be purchased up to 30 days (after) your warranty expires in four years.

Last edited:
From what I read, the Extended Service Agreement can be purchased up to 30 days (after) your warranty expires in four years.
Directly from Tesla's site:
"You may purchase the Extended Service Agreement no later than 30 days or 1,000 miles (1,600 km), whichever comes first, past the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. So keep in mind the original warranty isn't necessarily a 4 year warranty if you drive a lot.