Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extending destination charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the stupid level 2 destination charger that they put in at my work has a fancy cord extension mechanism that only lets out about 3 feet of cord. The way the parking spots are arranged, the only way to get this to reach my MS is to back right up to the post that holds the station and to take up part of a second spot. Obvioulsy this is suboptimal (already backed the car once into the charging station, fortunately no damage!) I'm wondering if there are any extension cords we can purchase to add to the destination charger. Would only need 3-4 feet of length. THX

J1772 extension cords are available from quickchargepower.com and other sources. They cost in the hundreds of dollars. I would ask at work to see if they can fix the cord length issue with the charging stations.

Good Luck,

GSP

So the stupid level 2 destination charger that they put in at my work has a fancy cord extension mechanism that only lets out about 3 feet of cord. The way the parking spots are arranged, the only way to get this to reach my MS is to back right up to the post that holds the station and to take up part of a second spot. Obvioulsy this is suboptimal (already backed the car once into the charging station, fortunately no damage!) I'm wondering if there are any extension cords we can purchase to add to the destination charger. Would only need 3-4 feet of length. THX

An extension cord for the Tesla specific wand end that is plugged into the MS could be difficult to find.

The fancy cord extension mechanism was probably used to keep the cable off the ground preventing folks from driving over the cable and should have come with specific instructions on how high to mount it typically around 7ft high. The destination charger should be mounted 4ft high.
The amount of cord that it dispenses could be around 3ft so there should ' no loops and very little sag between the Charging Station and the Retractor Hose Clamp' to quote the pdf doc over at Clipper Creek.

Your issue could be taken care of by loosening the dispenser cable clamp and moving it closer to the destination charger itself. The extra length of cable reach should be able to get to your car without you having to bump into it.

The extra cord dispensed may be laying on the pavement you may want to move it to prevent users from driving over it.

Please post before and after pics.

already backed the car once into the charging station, fortunately no damage

This is actually a great use for summon. I’ve used it a few times when trying to back into unfamiliar chargers. I get as close as I’m comfortable while I’m in the car, but if I need to move back a little more I just use summon so I don’t have to get back in and and I can see exactly where the car is so I don’t accidentally back into anything.