Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extending insurance - additional 4 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...What's the value @ £800 per year?

The value of an insurance system is peace of mind: Hopefully, nothing will happen and you lose all your investment but at least if something goes wrong, insurance will cover it.

In case you haven't noticed, the repairs done by Tesla arevery expensive.

You can fix your built-in charger for about 20£ fuse but Tesla would swap the whole charger for thousands of pounds.

Same if your heater is broken.

Same if you need to swap out the memory card of your 17" screen computer: Tesla would swap the whole computer out instead of just the memory itself.

The list goes on.

Some items to break down in old age:

Air conditioner
Model S door handles
Headlight (Tesla doesn't change the light only, it's the whole thing that costs almost 1,000£)
GPS antenna...

If you are able to fix a Tesla, there's no need for the insurance.

Otherwise, if something goes wrong and you go to Tesla, it'll be very expensive.

Hi Ian,

My car is just three years old so not quite in the market yet. There are a number of UK insurers offering this type of warranty cover, try a Google search for " compare used car warranty" or similar.

I have found that if you look at a product, pause, wait, they want your business and come after you with extra discounts to close the deal.

First quote just now was about GBP50 per month, so 600 a year is less than your quote, with a shorter tie in. [Although this insurance might be more costly in years 6,7,8.]

Tony

Hey all

I have 2016 s85 due to come out of warranty in March 2020, I have found a fairly comprehensive warranty for £500 per year. Buying the car was a stretch so forking out another 3.5k is not happening.

(Dealer repairs)

There is a guy called Matt who knows a little about Tesla's so understands the motors and battery is already covered under warranty. Here are his contact details:

[email protected]

(please let me know if you take the policy or if you spot any holes in policy)

Don't wait until your car warranty expires as this will increase the cost of the policy.

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
Can you buy a Tesla extended warranty if you weren't the original owner?

I'm not yet a Tesla owner, but hope to buy one that's around 3 years old in the not too distant future. I have a great relationship with a small local garage and they are already servicing EVs and for things like changing headlight bulbs, brake discs and pads and the like, they would be fine and good value. But I do hear quite a lot of stories about the door handles failing and even instances regarding the need to change motors and these both sound horrendously expensive.

We've had used car warranty insurance policies for cars in the past but when you need them there always seem to be limits and we haven't bothered in recent times. But with a car like a Model S, maybe we should reconsider?

I am the second owner of a Tesla, my car warranty runs out next year. To extend with a Tesla approved garage it's expensive (see above)

However, the key thing to look out for is that there is a 50k mile limit even on the extended warranty and you must take out at least 4 years.

Hence the reason for going third party warranty... I would fire an email to address above when you get your car for a quote.

• Helpful
...Can you buy a Tesla extended warranty if you weren't the original owner?...

I can't go to the United Kingdom Tesla's site but for USA:

No for non-Tesla dealers
Yes for a private transaction before expiring on 4th year or 50,000 miles whichever first.

Extended Service Agreement

"Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and cars purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or Model X cars subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement."

• Helpful