Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior mirror not unfolding properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

D.E.

Uncorked
Oct 12, 2016
MI
My left exterior mirror isn’t unfolding properly.

I thought it was broken, it stayed folded, then I got it to partially unfold but the mirror seemed loose, easily moved through part of the range of motion with gentle effort, Wind at highway speed put it back into the full folded position.

When I got home I used the door switch to unfold and this time it went to the full unfolded locked position, no looseness at all.

So now I think the mirror is OK. Anyone else seeing unfolding issues?

See tag for car info. I’m at about 5,400 miles.

David

I'll update this post just so that if anyone has a similar problem the information is here. I looked here first and didn't find anything useful.
The service department is ordering a new mirror and then a ranger will come out and evaluate things. The current thought is that there might be a memory issue within the mirror. I didn't know the mirror had its own memory. If the mirror needs replacement I'll try to keep the mirror cap since it is wrapped. Currently the mirror is unfolded I've disabled all automatic folding with the car's settings menu.

I'll update this post just so that if anyone has a similar problem the information is here. I looked here first and didn't find anything useful.
The service department is ordering a new mirror and then a ranger will come out and evaluate things. The current thought is that there might be a memory issue within the mirror. I didn't know the mirror had its own memory. If the mirror needs replacement I'll try to keep the mirror cap since it is wrapped. Currently the mirror is unfolded I've disabled all automatic folding with the car's settings menu.

I had issues with both of mine unfolding properly. They lubed one of them and replaced the other. When they replaced it They only replaced the mechanism on the bottom it appears. The painted portion (that I had wrapped) remained even with the new mirror install.