Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior wall charger questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've got a Model S on order and am looking for ideas about outside charging.

1) Is there a big issue over running the wall charger cord under a garage door?
b) If so, does anyone have a working solution for a pass-through from inside a garage?
2) If I go to mount it outside, I gather that I'd need a weather sealed box - is there any good sources? I would want it lockable and sufficient to keep the charger base and cord enclosed when not in use.

I don't want to damage the garage door. The walls are concrete cinder blocks, carrying some load. I've already got a breaker box set up in the garage for woodworking equipment which I may try to tie the charger into.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I went with:
1084-4XSCHC - Cooper B-Line - Wall Mount Enclosures | Galco Industrial Electronics
1084-4xschc_p.jpg

(This is a $500 box some places)

and

PBC-LOCK-3-O YuCo LOCKABLE STAINLESS STEEL INDOOR/OUTDOOR ENCLOSURE HANDLE
s-l1600.jpg

Cooper makes great boxen. I went with the smallest that I could fit a UMC and 14-50 outlet in. Cord stays outside, coiled on a hanger, but it's easy to find larger sizes.

I have the 'T' from a blown steering wheel airbag that I siliconed to the lid.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
So, I've got a Model S on order and am looking for ideas about outside charging.

1) Is there a big issue over running the wall charger cord under a garage door?
b) If so, does anyone have a working solution for a pass-through from inside a garage?
2) If I go to mount it outside, I gather that I'd need a weather sealed box - is there any good sources? I would want it lockable and sufficient to keep the charger base and cord enclosed when not in use.

I don't want to damage the garage door. The walls are concrete cinder blocks, carrying some load. I've already got a breaker box set up in the garage for woodworking equipment which I may try to tie the charger into.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
You are talking about the wall connector, right? That is weather-proof and approved for outdoor installation. You don't need a sealed box for it. Here is the installation manual for it, and it does have this line specifically listed:
"
Note: The Wall Connector is approved for
outdoor use. Protection from rain is
recommended but not required"

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ll_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES.pdf

You are talking about the wall connector, right? That is weather-proof and approved for outdoor installation. You don't need a sealed box for it. Here is the installation manual for it, and it does have this line specifically listed:
"
Note: The Wall Connector is approved for
outdoor use. Protection from rain is
recommended but not required"

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ll_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES.pdf

Thanks! I didn't know that it was approved for outdoors. Frankly, I've not had the time to look over everything yet, so thanks for the info. I'll have to consider putting some kind of shelter around it as it's fairly open exposure.

I run my UMC cord under my garage door from a NEMA 14-50 outdoor box. It works great. I have one of those rubber seal things that runs along the bottom of the garage door so it fits snugly. It would have been like $3k more to have the outlet in the detached garage, because it would require a new sub panel and wiring through the roof or under ground.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
My guess was fairly informed, since his question did actually have the word "wall" in it.
"Is there a big issue over running the wall charger cord under a garage door?"
You don't want to repeatedly squish the cable. I cut a slot in the concrete to avoid this. Works great.