Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker retrofit to enable boombox on 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla won't retrofit that for you, but you can do it yourself like some of us have. The problem you might run into is that your service center may refuse to activate PWS/Boombox for you. Some got it activated for free, some paid (I paid for it), and recently it looks like at least one person can't get it activated no matter what Pedestrian Warning System (BoomBox) Retrofit For...
A service tech came by to do a headlight install and he told me I dont have the harness for the speaker so it wouldnt work.

A service tech came by to do a headlight install and he told me I dont have the harness for the speaker so it wouldnt work.
All Model 3 have the wires for the speaker in the passenger side floor in the A-pillar, but the older ones do not have the harness going from there to the front where the speaker would go. You would have to do what I and others did and run your own 2 wires for the speaker and install your own speaker. Then contact Tesla to activate Boombox remotely. Some people have been unable to get their local service centers to activate Boombox, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
All Model 3 have the wires for the speaker in the passenger side floor in the A-pillar, but the older ones do not have the harness going from there to the front where the speaker would go. You would have to do what I and others did and run your own 2 wires for the speaker and install your own speaker. Then contact Tesla to activate Boombox remotely. Some people have been unable to get their local service centers to activate Boombox, so your mileage may vary.
That sounds great. Does anyone know of instructions to add this feature on an older car?

That sounds great. Does anyone know of instructions to add this feature on an older car?
Yes, this is the one I read that helped me find the two wires to tap into Pedestrian Warning System (BoomBox) Retrofit For.... I ran my own speaker wires to the frunk area and installed a 6.5" marine grade speaker to my aftermarket aluminum skidplate. My car was made in March of 2018 and did not have the wiring harness for the speaker under the frunk, nor did the plastic under tray have the spot to mount the OEM speaker. You can see my posts and pictures here Part 1 and Part 2.

Can I have Boombox installed on my 2018 Model 3? It was not available when I got my car.
Thanks.
Many people have had luck making a request through the app or with a physical person via an SC or a mobile visit. Others like myself on the other hand have the speaker installed (2018 also) but cannot get them to activate. I've tried every avenue and they all deny me, it's to the point where my local SC is notified everything I make a service request that I might ask them to activate boombox.

@HankLloydRight do you happen to have the memory card image for the W.A.S.P, mine has become corrupted. or can anyone point me in the correct direction? ( an image of the files and structure would be enough )
Yes..I did receive your email as well. I’m traveling this week and can send you a download link when I get back on Sunday. Sorry for the delay.