Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone who has taken a recent model 3 delivery know if it now comes with the external speaker for pedestrians at low speed?
Think the EU law now require and there was the holes in the bumper for it but just curious if it's there or not now

It is only required on new models seeking EU approval at the moment, so not required on S/X/3, but would be for Y.

July 2021 is the date for all new sales to be fitted with the AVAS regardless of when they were initially approved for sale..

I hope Tesla offer it as a retrospective update. Happy to pay a nominal amount for this safety feature.
The law doesn’t apply to car already in circulation. So you will not need to retro fit.

New models launched after july 19 need to include it (model 3 is not a new model)

Any new car sold from 2021 need to include it even if not a new model (eg a model 3 sold after 2021)

Enjoy your silent car which will sell for a silent premium post 2021 :)

Having nearly been flattened a couple of weeks back and only saved because I heard a car revving its engine behind me, I'm wanting this safety device even more. I also use to work for a company involved in road safety, so know the importance of subtle cues such as sound. Its hardly intrusive is it and I don't see why people are so negative towards a safety feature that will save injury and possibly lives. As I said, I would like to see it available as a retrospectively fitted OPTION.

You don't need restricted vision to need audible aids. We don't have 360 vision but do have 360 hearing.

I'm all for road users not using headphones/ear buds (some drivers use them too) but just because you are wearing them and listening to something does not mean that you cannot hear what is going on around. In fact, wearing them may even make you more aware of what is going on around as people compensate for extra risk - cars would be so much safer if there was a big spike mounted on the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
It isn't something I'm excited about and it screams of solutionism at its finest. Having stood at the side of the road when both EV and ICE cars have driven past there's often no discernable difference in the noise either cars make to my ear.

If I were to buy an EV with the option and the noise was obnoxious I'd find a way of disabling it.

Reactions: AMC7
By the time you see an ICE, if you have not been co concentrating, you have placed yourself at risk. A revving engine sounds 'abnormal'. A horn toot may help.

Drive safely - walk safely and pay attention.

No 'sound' will work, as like all noise, we suppress it, naturally.

• Love
Reactions: AMC7
Having nearly been flattened a couple of weeks back and only saved because I heard a car revving its engine behind me, I'm wanting this safety device even more. I also use to work for a company involved in road safety, so know the importance of subtle cues such as sound. Its hardly intrusive is it and I don't see why people are so negative towards a safety feature that will save injury and possibly lives. As I said, I would like to see it available as a retrospectively fitted OPTION.

Total agreement. Otherwise ICE Mfrs will be requesting the return of the red flag act.

This is a MAJOR issue where I live for lots of reasons (bridle path, 2 foot paths, massive downhill, popular with MTBers unadopted road, nearby school, blind corner, dense tree canopy, irritable badgers, kids playing, numerous elderly people etc ) I don't want to hit anyone or have anyone be hit by a near silent car. Retrofitting a novelty 'make my EV sound like an ICE' will just feed:

Perhaps they could do the old air horns from the 1970s that used to play Colonel Bogey :)

They don't mention (or at least didn't when I was younger) on the first driving lesson - this machine can easily cause death or serious injury to you or others, you may find your life massively changed do you still want to proceed - yes, no?

If I was in charge, it's a good thing I am not, I'd want anybody fit enough to take a Motorbike test alongside a car test. Vulnerability, self-preservation and awareness of others.

I endeavour to drive carefully in built up areas and turn the radio off, I open the windows so I can listen at junctions where I live (even when it's raining) as there are hedgerows and blind summits approaching junctions.

I think motorway limits could be relaxed in appropriate conditions (the French drive slower in the rain speed limit is so sensible) as we now have Disc brakes, seatbelts, central reservations and many more features that have saved lives.

Ideally any AVAS (mid-rant, no time to look up standard) should have an element of white noise like some ambulance sirens but not be abrupt it frightens so that direction can be ascertained from the sound without wave reflections confusing direction interpretation from hard surfaces.

Seems like I need a nearly home playlist - not too much bass to upset my neighbours..

Remember, most accidents happen within a mile of your home. It is for that very reason I park just over a mile away and walk home, admittedly the charging cable is a somewhat unwieldy ;)

Reactions: Baldrick and Roy W.
Having now driven 25k miles in a Tesla I haven't noticed any difference in pedestrian awareness compared to our ICE car. Many ICE cars are equally as quiet at very low speeds. So will they have to have these noise generators too?

Exactly, this is not the preserve of EV. My wife had a little Focus with the tine 1L engine, you had to check the revs to tell if the engine was on.

If quiet cars as the issue, not just another chance to irritate EV drivers then why isn't it just a requirement for any car generating less than a certain dB noise level?

Having now driven 25k miles in a Tesla I haven't noticed any difference in pedestrian awareness compared to our ICE car. Many ICE cars are equally as quiet at very low speeds. So will they have to have these noise generators too?
People don't hear my i30 when I'm driving up behind them unless I rev it.

These drone noise makers are gonna make busy cities sound like some sort of effed up beehive.

• Funny
Reactions: IanMcL and Roy W.