Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely poor delivery experience from Mt. Kisco, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, my wife and I drove 235 miles from Central New York to Mt. Kisco for a 2:00pm appointment to pick up my new Model Y. About 20 minutes after checking in, a sales associate greeted me and took me to my car. To my surprise and disappointment, I immediately saw that the vehicle had a large and obvious dent in the front hood. What was harder to believe is that the associate didn’t point it out. How could he not notice the damage? On further inspection around the vehicle, I found other issues that should have been remediated prior to delivery. For example, the rear driver-side quarter panel had noticeable (factory?) grinding marks which clearly showed through the paint and clear coat; there were scuff marks on the interior rear seats and door; and dirt from muddy shoes that missed the paper on the front drivers-side carpet. The sales manager apologized and suggested that I take the car home to have the issues fixed by a local Tesla authorized service provider. I declined assuming this responsibility and said that I would come back to pick up the vehicle only after he certified that it has been properly repaired and in showroom condition. My wife and I promptly left and headed back home for another 5 hour road trip. I expect to hear back from Mt. Kisco today about the new delivery date. To his credit, the sales manager did offer to reimburse me for my next trip back to Mt. Kisco. A complimentary delivery directly to my door would have been the more appropriate remedy. They would not do this.

Needless to say, this experience as well as the very poor communication and coordination in the weeks prior to delivery do not leave me with confidence that future problems will be handled professionally and to standard. I suspect one of the major contributors here is the increased vehicle volume which has apparently overwhelmed Tesla’s distribution, delivery, and sales capacity. Does this apply only to the Mt. Kisco operation, is this temporary while they adjust to the higher demand, is this the lack of training? I don’t know, but the experience has left me worried about my future Tesla vehicle ownership. Will the new high demand of Tesla vehicles overwhelm their charging infrastructure, and if so, for how long? Could there be “battery charging” lines akin to the lines that formed at gas stations during fuel shortages? How about service and repair? How about good old fashioned customer service? I guess we shall see.

Yesterday, my wife and I drove 235 miles from Central New York to Mt. Kisco for a 2:00pm appointment to pick up my new Model Y. About 20 minutes after checking in, a sales associate greeted me and took me to my car. To my surprise and disappointment, I immediately saw that the vehicle had a large and obvious dent in the front hood. What was harder to believe is that the associate didn’t point it out. How could he not notice the damage? On further inspection around the vehicle, I found other issues that should have been remediated prior to delivery. For example, the rear driver-side quarter panel had noticeable (factory?) grinding marks which clearly showed through the paint and clear coat; there were scuff marks on the interior rear seats and door; and dirt from muddy shoes that missed the paper on the front drivers-side carpet. The sales manager apologized and suggested that I take the car home to have the issues fixed by a local Tesla authorized service provider. I declined assuming this responsibility and said that I would come back to pick up the vehicle only after he certified that it has been properly repaired and in showroom condition. My wife and I promptly left and headed back home for another 5 hour road trip. I expect to hear back from Mt. Kisco today about the new delivery date. To his credit, the sales manager did offer to reimburse me for my next trip back to Mt. Kisco. A complimentary delivery directly to my door would have been the more appropriate remedy. They would not do this.

Needless to say, this experience as well as the very poor communication and coordination in the weeks prior to delivery do not leave me with confidence that future problems will be handled professionally and to standard. I suspect one of the major contributors here is the increased vehicle volume which has apparently overwhelmed Tesla’s distribution, delivery, and sales capacity. Does this apply only to the Mt. Kisco operation, is this temporary while they adjust to the higher demand, is this the lack of training? I don’t know, but the experience has left me worried about my future Tesla vehicle ownership. Will the new high demand of Tesla vehicles overwhelm their charging infrastructure, and if so, for how long? Could there be “battery charging” lines akin to the lines that formed at gas stations during fuel shortages? How about service and repair? How about good old fashioned customer service? I guess we shall see.
I am sorry to hear about your poor delivery at Mt kisco. I echoed the same sentiments in the feedback requested by Tesla on my recent delivery from Smithtown Long Island.
I truly believe that it’s the last mile QC that’s holding Tesla down. For example Smithtown had my vehicle sitting on their lot 3.5 weeks.

I got the the delivery center and still had to wait 2 and half hours so they fix rear passenger seats and remove gunk from the inside of the car. While waiting for my card to get fixed I noticed that all the peeps were doing to get a car ready for delivery was, remove the protection wraps that came with the cars and drive the veg it from one side of the lot to the other.

I shook my head and asked one of the folks I saw “preparing” vehicles for pickup, why don’t you guys inspect the vehicle prior to the customers arrival. I was told it’s almost impossible because they had too many deliveries scheduled.

Yikes, this sounds like a bad experience alright. I feel that I could live with minor issues that need attention, perhaps a little scuff or something inside, a broken coat hanger hook, etc. But a large dent and the paint issues are a much larger concern and I'm not sure I'd be okay with taking delivery of this either.

I'm also in a similar boat as you in terms of location. Being from Rochester and planning on also picking up at Mt. Kisco, I have a 5.5 hour drive each way. Driving 11 hours and dealing with what you experienced sounds terrible.

Can you keep us updated in here about what happens? I'm very curious how this goes. I'm sorry you have to go through this!

I am sorry to hear about your poor delivery at Mt kisco. I echoed the same sentiments in the feedback requested by Tesla on my recent delivery from Smithtown Long Island.
I truly believe that it’s the last mile QC that’s holding Tesla down. For example Smithtown had my vehicle sitting on their lot 3.5 weeks.

I got the the delivery center and still had to wait 2 and half hours so they fix rear passenger seats and remove gunk from the inside of the car. While waiting for my card to get fixed I noticed that all the peeps were doing to get a car ready for delivery was, remove the protection wraps that came with the cars and drive the veg it from one side of the lot to the other.

I shook my head and asked one of the folks I saw “preparing” vehicles for pickup, why don’t you guys inspect the vehicle prior to the customers arrival. I was told it’s almost impossible because they had too many deliveries scheduled.
Was your vehicle held on the lot because of the containment hold? Most MY's were sitting on the lots for most of May.

I should be picking up my MY LR from Smithtown next week. Anything to look out for?

Was your vehicle held on the lot because of the containment hold? Most MY's were sitting on the lots for most of May.

I should be picking up my MY LR from Smithtown next week. Anything to look out for?
I suppose my vehicle held on the lot because of the containment hold. They delivery advisor didn’t say why my vehicle was held. Also I didn’t worry much about why the vehicle was held because it had 5 miles on the odometer.

As for inspecting the car, I would check the seats, scuff marks, panel gaps e.t.c. The car was filthy when I picked it up, they claimed it was due to pollen 😂🤣. I am still not sure why they didn’t clean the vehicle prior to my 11 am appointment.

I suppose my vehicle held on the lot because of the containment hold. They delivery advisor didn’t say why my vehicle was held. Also I didn’t worry much about why the vehicle was held because it had 5 miles on the odometer.

As for inspecting the car, I would check the seats, scuff marks, panel gaps e.t.c. The car was filthy when I picked it up, they claimed it was due to pollen 😂🤣. I am still not sure why they didn’t clean the vehicle prior to my 11 am appointment.
Yeah totally. I bet your car is one of the cars that I took a pic of here. This was taken mid-May right in the middle of the hold. The cars probably sat here all month.

1622572281680.png

I had same experience in brooklyn Tesla. Car came filthy on outside, albeit inside clean and tires were dirty with stickers still on them. Was told they ran out of tire shine. No apologies, no offer for wash, complained to all and never heard a thing. Overall a terrible delivery experience I would not wish on anyone buying this car

I had same experience in brooklyn Tesla. Car came filthy on outside, albeit inside clean and tires were dirty with stickers still on them. Was told they ran out of tire shine. No apologies, no offer for wash, complained to all and never heard a thing. Overall a terrible delivery experience I would not wish on anyone buying this car
When'd you order and when'd you pick up?

I think i'd prefer to detail the car myself rather than get a rushed wash from some overworked Tesla employee (no offense) that is just going to scratch up the paint. They should at least offer a free wash at a nearby car wash or something.

Reactions: croman

I going to Mt Kisco for pick-up next week. Did you end up taking delivery?

I think i'd prefer to detail the car myself rather than get a rushed wash from some overworked Tesla employee (no offense) that is just going to scratch up the paint. They should at least offer a free wash at a nearby car wash or something.
Same here! While in conversation with my SA, I said loudly…I don’t want the car detailed, at all—don’t touch it! This was my M3 and I told the current SA for my MY the same thing and I sent it in an email as well!
My reason.. picked up a new car several years ago and it was covered in scratches, looked like they dropped the wash rag and then continued on washing!

I am from the Finger Lakes Area and we had to go Mt Kisco as well, 8 hours round trip. We picked up a 2021 M3LR. We actually had a very nice SA and the car was in pretty good shape.
Fast forward to today, we have a 2022 MYLR on order and have to travel to Mt. Kisco again when it arrives—lord only knows when that will be! I will say I’m NOT impressed with my SA, there is no communication and when I do reach out it’s from like 4 other people other than him.
So far the first experience sounds like it’s going to be better than the second!
I’m sorry you had a bad experience, that’s not the way it should be when purchasing a Tesla.