Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eye strain in Y, horrible glare front windshield at night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is the plan! After I cancelled Tesla sales told the truth all of sudden “they are tired of not having a premium solid product to sale. Was told they are embarrassing to even stand next to at events with other car manufactures! He would have done the same and he all of a sudden has seen it before on the Y models”.
Even the sales guys want their quality to go up.
Screw the tech! If we spend 35k to 150k we should be getting a quality product. I wouldn’t throw 70k on black and cross my fingers. It was a bad decision. But the thuper Tesla fan boys don’t know what productive criticism is.
I don't think I'm a fan boy, I can only go by what I have. My MS is great, never had a problem with it, I did have a little glare from windshield when I first got it, but windex and a soft cloth and 15min. took care of that. I would feel like hell, if I would have let that car go over that. The car Events I have been to, it's the other car manufactures that are embarrassed, they wish they had a Tesla type car to sell. I could be wrong, but it does look like Ford, GM, other car manufactures trying to catch Tesla. Maybe I just got lucky, and my friends that bought Teslas got lucky too, and got great cars. I guess that happens. Last month I bring in my car to Tesla, for a MCU2 upgrade, I didn't see a lot of Teslas piled up, from cancelled and returned cars, what I did see was a lot of people picking up there MY's & M3's, and people singing up for test drives, more people than I see at the Ford Dealers down the street from me. Just look at Wall Street, and how Tesla stock has soared, for having a low premium high dollar car., and I thought Wall Street was smart. What are those people thinking buying up all that stock. Maybe they don't know what productive criticism is, I guess they're just fan boys.

You all inspired me... even after removing the overspray from my windshield, it was still very hazy each time the wipers chatter by. I replaced my driver's wiper with a Bosch Icon (minor mod needed of the clip), so now the wiper glided by smoothly, yet left a haze.

Out came my polisher and some cesium oxide... 10 minutes later, my windshield is crystal clear, the wipers glide like silk, and there is zero haze when they pass by.

I see my autocorrect got me. I used cerium oxide. Cesium oxide is most certainly not appropriate for polishing glass!

My MS had a little glare, just needed to be clean, I did it myself, took less then an hour, my Audi came with a bad windshield, took them a over a month to get that fixed, I think all car manufacturers have some problems, but most of the cars that come out of the factories are in great shape. The ones that don't there are laws that protect you. To make yourself go crazy, and panic over a easy fix, is Crazy.

I agree with this 100%. Every car has its issues but I’ve never seen so many falling apart. The only laws that protect you are lemon laws and it’s hard to fall into that catogoru
OP got a little mad. just think of Hubble, with a bad mirror, no one panic, or went nuts, they sat down came up with a fix, and just look at all great work it, the science, and the pictures, that the whole world got to see and use for all those years, OP gave up a fun car with all the tech, for a windshield that could be fixed in a day or 2, What a kill joy he is, I bet that if you gave him $100 dollar bills, he would bitch they were wrinkled.
Sorry, I call BS. This EXACT SAME POST made on the Tesla.com forum.

YOU CAUGHT ME!
Elon musk sent me here from the future
I'm a cybernetic organism. Living tissue over a metal endoskeleton

No, just making a stink over something that is not an issue in 99.999% of Teslas. Just yours.

Oh wait, you canceled your order. So you're here why?
To ensure everyone could help share in his disappointment. He saved up since Tesla incorporated but canceled his order because the one he drove had a dirty windshield or heaven forbid, an actually defective easily replaced piece of glass. Must have been traumatizing...

To ensure everyone could help share in his disappointment. He saved up since Tesla incorporated but canceled his order because the one he drove had a dirty windshield or heaven forbid, an actually defective easily replaced piece of glass. Must have been traumatizing...

Actually to see if anyone else had experienced this issue. And with a quick search there are a lot of people. “Tesla Windshield Distortion”

No, just making a stink over something that is not an issue in 99.999% of Teslas. Just yours.

Oh wait, you canceled your order. So you're here why?

Because I ordered a different model. One that’s been around a while. Jesus Christ you just try to punk out anyone who has one thing negative to say?

I was simply asking if anyone had any issues with their windshield on the Y. There are actually quite a few people that have had issues with Tesla glass on S,X,3, and Y models.

Actually to see if anyone else had experienced this issue. And with a quick search there are a lot of people. “Tesla Windshield Distortion”
So as you stated you did a quick search and found a lot of people with "Tesla Windshield Distortion", thus satisfying your curiosity, yet still felt the need to start a new thread of your own for this very same issue you found "a lot of people" had mentioned rather than replying to one? And according to you the other model's have the same issue but you ordered a different one anyway? Rather than reply to one of those threads you found for the other model that you ordered instead?

Sorry, but if your statements made sense no one would be trying to "punk" you out.

try cleaning the inside of the windshield, my MS had little glair did a good cleaning, gone

Bingo. New car interiors release all kinds of gaseous particles in the few months of their lives, some of which stick to the windows. A good thorough cleaning with window cleaner should work. At least it did for my 3.

Since this was a demo car, I would have just run my finger on the inside of the glass to see if it streaks. (likely). Then you can make a crack to the Sale rep that his detail team needs to work on their QC.

Reactions: Tcobshea
Because I ordered a different model. One that’s been around a while. Jesus Christ you just try to punk out anyone who has one thing negative to say?

I was simply asking if anyone had any issues with their windshield on the Y. There are actually quite a few people that have had issues with Tesla glass on S,X,3, and Y models.
You did more than simply ask who had issues with their windshield, go back and read what you wrote. It's Ok to feel the way you do, that is a lot of money for a car, but it is a easy simple fix. What to you end up buying, and what ever it is good luck.

• Love
Reactions: rxlawdude and MY-Y
I noticed something similar today in a M3 LR from Fremont (serial in the 900k series; intrestingly the door sticker does not indicate build date, unless it is a QR code now).

When driving in dark with lights on, I get reflection from oncoming cars lights (non high beams) and also their tail lights are lit (if I switch off my lights, the "extra" glare from oncoming traffic and taillights goes away). Also traffic signs stand out very bright. It almost seems as if the headlights contain some amount of black light, everything just lights up big time.

Here is a photo without high beams:

1617306391101.png

Everything lights up so much so that it hurts my eyes. Luckily I found a workaround: Surprisingly, if I switch to wearing sunglasses while driving at night, I can see almost as if daylight through sunglasses and the glare issue is gone (the sunglasses improve the light/dark balance so that overall visibility is better).

Here are two more photos (note: I am running low beams as there is an oncoming car), first one through sunglasses (the photo does not give justice to how well I can see in this situation) and below it the same without sunglasses (this is pretty much how bad the contrast is, it is so bright eyes hurt, almost feels like someone driving towards me with high beams) in front of the phone camera:

1617306622993.png

1617306659386.png

I wonder if there are some additional wavelengths in Tesla headlights to help autopilot, which might cause such glare issue? Really weird, feels unreal.

Wrong forum and wrong vehicle.

I noticed something similar today in a M3 LR from Fremont (serial in the 900k series; intrestingly the door sticker does not indicate build date, unless it is a QR code now).

When driving in dark with lights on, I get reflection from oncoming cars lights (non high beams) and also their tail lights are lit (if I switch off my lights, the "extra" glare from oncoming traffic and taillights goes away). Also traffic signs stand out very bright. It almost seems as if the headlights contain some amount of black light, everything just lights up big time.

View attachment 650030

Everything lights up so much so that it hurts my eyes. Luckily I found a workaround: Surprisingly, if I switch to wearing sunglasses while driving at night, I can see almost as if daylight through sunglasses and the glare issue is gone (the sunglasses improve the light/dark balance so that overall visibility is better).

Here are two more photos (note: I am running low beams as there is an oncoming car), first one through sunglasses (the photo does not give justice to how well I can see in this situation) and below it the same without sunglasses (this is pretty much how bad the contrast is, it is so bright eyes hurt, almost feels like someone driving towards me with high beams) in front of the phone camera:

View attachment 650032

View attachment 650033

I wonder if there are some additional wavelengths in Tesla headlights to help autopilot, which might cause such glare issue? Really weird, feels unreal.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tiger

View attachment 650030

View attachment 650032

View attachment 650033

I think you need to visit an ophthalmologist, my dude.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tiger