Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ-Pass location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I hate anything on my windshield.

I usually place the easy pass where you cannot see it from drivers seat. That ends up pretty low on windshield.

I also hate cleaning around obstacles on the windshield.

So I’m gonna try this unique location.

43164201810_5f5500eb8d_b_d.jpg

I’m 99.99% sure it will work fine.

Can’t see it from inside or outside.

Only from the back seat inside, which is rarely occupied by a human.

I’ve had these even work in the glove box on some cars so I’m pretty sure it will work reliably here. It’s only maybe 15 degrees difference from top of windshield and the transponder doesn’t care where along your vehicle it gets a response.

Reactions: evpulse
We put ours on the sunroof too.

So far it’s working. It’s brand new and not registered out of state yet (takes 48 hours). But the toll booth guy said he sees it, but it looks unpaid.

Note, to be clear, I put it the furthest point forward in the rear window. Not what I call “sunroof”. It is sort of a rear seat sunroof or the back window ;). I have the sunscreen on the way and I didn’t want it to interfere with that.

In VA the HOV lanes require an EZ pass. When using the "Express Lanes" you either have 3 people in the car and flip the switch to HOV, or leave it in normal and pay the $$$ toll. In peak times it can be $20+ for the ~10 miles from home to my office o_O

ezpass-flex-transponder.jpg

You know in Va MD and DC

You can use HOV lane at all times with your Tesla. No matter how many people in car. The purpose of HOV lanes was to reduce emissions by convincing people to car pool. Well with EV, you have no emmisions.

In CA, you are supposed to have the FasTrak transponder in the windshield for law enforcement to see it (...and for the cameras that take photos of the cars/stickers/license plates to grab it).
Really? I can't find any reference to that on bayareafastrak.org. I've used mine without mounting it on the windshield for many years and never had an issue. Given that the back of the tag is just a nondescript white surface, I don't see a reason why law enforcement would want to see it?

I like the idea of putting it under the glass roof, but remember that this will not work with the sunshade that Tesla sells. While it may just barely fit between the glass and the shade, you wouldn't be able to operate the switch anymore ...

If ours isn't visible in the windshield here the state trooper will pull you over when he's patrolling the exit ramp from the HOV lane on my route to work.
Maryland and Virginia have external, license plate transponders. If nothing else, get something black, and about the same size, and put it where that transponder would go if you want to put your white, plastic one behind the bumper. Or just get one of them.

In VA the HOV lanes require an EZ pass. When using the "Express Lanes" you either have 3 people in the car and flip the switch to HOV, or leave it in normal and pay the $$$ toll. In peak times it can be $20+ for the ~10 miles from home to my office o_O

ezpass-flex-transponder.jpg

You know in Va MD and DC

You can use HOV lane at all times with your Tesla. No matter how many people in car. The purpose of HOV lanes was to reduce emissions by convincing people to car pool. Well with EV, you have no emmisions.
In MD you need to fill out a form to get the sticker. Assuming same in VA/DC.

Chris

In MD you need to fill out a form to get the sticker. Assuming same in VA/DC.

VA does not offer E-ZPass stickers.

You know in Va MD and DC

Not true. See: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.

I wish I had gotten the pre-2006 “Clean Special Fuel” plates. That said, with the DMV transition from HOV lanes to HOT lanes on I-395 and I-66, these plates will lose much of their utility.

Last edited:
Not true. See: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.

I wish I had gotten the pre-2006 “Clean Special Fuel” plates. That said, with the DMV transition from HOV lanes to HOT lanes on I-395 and I-66, these plates will lose much of their utility.

This. I’ll probably get the clean special fuel plates since I commute on the toll road today. Although, I do plan to move sometime in the Spring.