Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ-Pass transponder mounting on refreshed nosecone-less Model S

Does your EZ-Pass transponder work reliably on your refreshed (i.e., no nosecone) model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the new refreshed Model S and a the new small rectangular EZ-Pass. The front license plate mounting bracket bends back 90 degrees and there's 2 wierd security screws that hold it on there. There's actually a gap between this part of the bracket and the body of the car, so I just shoved my little easy pass in this space. I loosened the security screws a bit (using 90 degree needle nose pliers), but I don't think it's necessary. The EZPass in this gap has a pretty good friction fit, so I don't think it will go anywhere, but I'm thinking of using a bit of 3M VHB (very high bond) double stick tape to secure it in place. I went through several tolls on the NJ Garden State Parkway and it working fine.

The Natick EZ-Pass Service Center on the Mass Pike nicely exchanged my 12-year-old FastLane transponder for one of the new smaller interior EZ-Passes. I've only been through one toll booth so far (the exit after the Natick Service Center visit), but I did get a green light there with my new transponder mounted in the windshield. This implies that the old transponder battery was weak and partly at fault.

I'm starting with the obvious mounting (arrows facing up to the right of the rear view mirror), and I'll modify that as I gather more data. However, for the moment, I'm optimistic about the new transponder.

The Natick EZ-Pass Service Center on the Mass Pike nicely exchanged my 12-year-old FastLane transponder for one of the new smaller interior EZ-Passes. I've only been through one toll booth so far (the exit after the Natick Service Center visit), but I did get a green light there with my new transponder mounted in the windshield. This implies that the old transponder battery was weak and partly at fault.

I'm starting with the obvious mounting (arrows facing up to the right of the rear view mirror), and I'll modify that as I gather more data. However, for the moment, I'm optimistic about the new transponder.
I got an email from my DS today that said that on the refresh S, there's "you will place the EZ Tag directly to the right of the base of your rearview in the black section to the right of the mirror. I hope that helps!"

I should have my refreshed 90D back from wrap and tint this week. I have both the small EZ Tag sticker and the 1 1/2" x 6" license plate mount transponder. I'll try the sticker first and if that doesn't work, will try the front mount unit. Will report back...

• Informative
Reactions: ishop4more
Here's a pic of my ezpass mounted in the bottom of the license plate bracket (Refreshed Tesla)

Attachments

• IMG_20160705_113915.jpg
    IMG_20160705_113915.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 365
Update- I tried putting the transponder under the parcel shelf, as Joules Verne described- it worked perfectly! I drove through 4 EZ pass booths, skipping the express lanes so I could see the green light confirming that it was read. Thanks for the tip!

Can anyone confirm if this actually works? Still trying to figure out where to mount my SoCal FastTrak Transponder. Trying to avoid having to use the trunk shelf if I can get it to work on the windshield. Thanks!

I mounted my EZ-Pass (new slim model) in the black area to the right of the rear view mirror and went through 2 non-express EZ-Pass lanes today on the PA Turnpike and confirm that it works properly.

If anybody is interested. Here's a E-ZPass taken apart. The parts are horizontally aligned.

If you are looking at the E-ZPass from the front (where the barcode/label is) note that the antenna part is on the right. So when you mount it make sure the right part of the E-ZPass is on the non-coated section of the windshield.

20160707 E-ZPass.png

Disclaimer, I'm no expert on EM systems or radios, I just like to read a lot.

According to various documents on the Internet (http://www.root.org/talks/BH2008_HackingTollSystems.pdf), it seems that the E-ZPass transponder is vertically polarized (perpendicular to the surface of the Earth). So while mounting the E-ZPass sideways (vertically) may work, it is probably better to mount it horizontally. Or in Tesla's case, upside down with the right over the black non-coated area.

Additionally, the communication protocol for the transponder systems seems to be governed by something called "Title 21". The toll booth antenna sends a carrier signal to your transponder. And if the antenna of your transponder is in a position to receive it, it will modulate (backscatter) the a hardcoded frame back. This can take up to 1s on normal toll booths (not the express ones). While this may sound like its quick, the Tesla is quicker.

With that said, I did all this research to see if I can come up with a more elegant way to mount a transponder than a) on the winshield b) on the bumper c) taking apart a nosecone on the refresh by going through the frunk d) mounting in the rear trunk. (Mounting on the front will allow earlier detection aka less slow down at the booth, thusly less "unable to read" anxiety.)

My current idea is to create some sort of sticker antenna that I can mount on the non-coated part, and paint it black. With the chip/transistors hidden away inside the rearview/autopilot cradle. It'll likely fail, but should be a fun project/learning experience nonetheless.

• Informative
Reactions: brantse
Here you go:

av4grH.jpg
It took me a while to understand it was supposed to go there. The DS kept saying "to the right of the base of the mirror" which I interpreted to mean "the bottom" of the mirror. Once I stared at the windshield, I realized by "base," she meant where the mirror attached to the windshield. I'm pretty sure it will work there. Plus, the photosync isn't there either.

I used the plate-mounted transponder. It's working fine. Ugly, but functional. I haven't noticed any autopilot interference.

I bought a couple toggle bolts at the hardware store and mounted the black EZ Pass transponder in the black grill to the right of the radar (drivers's side). The EZPass has worked well in Maine, NH, MA, NY, NJ, PA, and VA. Most folks don't notice it. Do you?

I'm very happy I don't have the transponder cluttering up my windshield or my license plate.
Parking Lot Large.jpg