Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ-Pass transponder mounting on refreshed nosecone-less Model S

Does your EZ-Pass transponder work reliably on your refreshed (i.e., no nosecone) model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the original poster again. Based on the comments above, I decided to check out my EZPass track record since I mounted my new white windshield transponder right side up in the black area (i.e., did the obvious mounting according to the instructions). Of the 64 EZPass transactions I've recorded since I got my new transponder, I've had only two transactions where EZPass MA resorted to reading my license plate instead of the transponder. That's about a 3% miss rate, which I'm OK with. And one of those was from the day I got the new transponder, which makes me think the new one hadn't cleared the system yet.

As I previously noted, when I go out of state, the results seem less consistent. Maine seems to do just fine with this transponder, while NH had to think about my transactions for about a month, but it eventually acknowledged that it had read my tag as well -- I don't know why they had such a delay but they did. I haven't hit tolls in any other state yet.

Bottom line: My 5-year-old transponder really didn't cut it (I think the battery really was on the verge of failure), but the new one I got last year seems to work quite well. I've yet to try it in any of the toll lanes where they don't raise the bar without a successful tag read, but at present, the MA Pike's overhead readers seem to be very good at reading the EZPass tag in my 90D.

-Carl

• Helpful
Reactions: Kross
I mounted mine in the vertical orientation just to the right of the black area. It worked every time. Tesla replaced my windshield and mounted it in the black area. It worked 1/3 of the time. I moved it back where it was before and it works perfectly again. I had read about the best placement in a different thread.

I mounted mine in the vertical orientation just to the right of the black area. It worked every time. Tesla replaced my windshield and mounted it in the black area. It worked 1/3 of the time. I moved it back where it was before and it works perfectly again. I had read about the best placement in a different thread.
Hmmm, well, that's peculiar. Don't you think?

Hmmm, well, that's peculiar. Don't you think?

Oops. I take back what I said. In my first Tesla the transponder was mounted to the right of the black dots. On the 90D it works only in the black area and not on the glass next to the black area.

It works fine in the location pictured below. Sorry for my brain cramp. :confused:

IMG_20170706_180812.jpg