Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory extended warranty option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC,

I've been searching for an extended warranty option. My wife, which purchased her Model 3 recently, puts in about 100 miles per day. At this rate, she will likely end up with no more warranty in about a year from today.

I see that there are plenty of aftermarket warranties but none that are OEM. I know at some point (and probably still at this time) Tesla offers extended warranty to S and X owners.

Does anyone know if Tesla may at some point, offer extended warranty for the 3's?

Hello TMC,

I've been searching for an extended warranty option. My wife, which purchased her Model 3 recently, puts in about 100 miles per day. At this rate, she will likely end up with no more warranty in about a year from today.

I see that there are plenty of aftermarket warranties but none that are OEM. I know at some point (and probably still at this time) Tesla offers extended warranty to S and X owners.

Does anyone know if Tesla may at some point, offer extended warranty for the 3's?

are you talking about the battery warranty which is like 8yrs 100k/120k based on which model you have? you realize Teslas require minimal maintenance, so a warranty is like buying insurance you most likely will never use.

are you talking about the battery warranty which is like 8yrs 100k/120k based on which model you have? you realize Teslas require minimal maintenance, so a warranty is like buying insurance you most likely will never use.
Not the battery warranty, I'm talking about the 4 year/50k mile warranty. She's already taken it in for the "Surround View Limited" issue and now "Front Left Restraint System Fault". After taking it in for "Surround View Limited" 4 times, they replaced the Computer. I've also taken mine in for the "Surround View Limited" issue as well.

I can imagine the computer replacement could be quite pricey.

An extended warranty from Tesla doesn't yet exist. But I believe one will be coming soon, because it's too ready a source of immediate cash for Tesla to not offer it, given Tesla's thirst for cash in the near term. I'll be burning through the 50k original warranty in just under two years, so am eager to see what Tesla offers.

• Funny
Reactions: rdfield
An extended warranty from Tesla doesn't yet exist. But I believe one will be coming soon, because it's too ready a source of immediate cash for Tesla to not offer it, given Tesla's thirst for cash in the near term. I'll be burning through the 50k original warranty in just under two years, so am eager to see what Tesla offers.
Another thing that doesn't exist but should and is an easy source of immediate cash is the maintenance plan.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Not the battery warranty, I'm talking about the 4 year/50k mile warranty. She's already taken it in for the "Surround View Limited" issue and now "Front Left Restraint System Fault". After taking it in for "Surround View Limited" 4 times, they replaced the Computer. I've also taken mine in for the "Surround View Limited" issue as well.

I can imagine the computer replacement could be quite pricey.
Not what you were asking about, but that technically meets lemon criteria for 4 times of the same fault... I would not be please to keep having it serviced for the same reason...

And yes, I agree, an extended warranty sounds almost like a must on these cars. Especially the first production you or so.

Another thing that doesn't exist but should and is an easy source of immediate cash is the maintenance plan.

...what maintenance?

Change brake fluid every 2 years, change battery coolant every 4.

That's pretty much it for maintenance (as opposed to wear parts like wipers, tires, and brake pads that maint. plans don't cover).

As to the extended warranty- I expect they want to get as much "in the wild" data as they can on failures before they price one.

I suspect a few Model 3 owners have probably already gotten close to having it expired, so I hope they offer it relatively soon for those drivers and other hi-mileage drivers.

Seeing the pricing on the S/X makes me think a 4 year extended warranty would be from $3k to $5k.
Extended Service Agreement

Personally though, I think failures occur more based on time (and bad luck) than mileage except for possibly the drive train which would be covered under the included 8 year / 120k miles anyways.

Not what you were asking about, but that technically meets lemon criteria for 4 times of the same fault... I would not be please to keep having it serviced for the same reason...

Lemon Law in my state (Florida) states it covers vehicle nonconformities which defines it as a defect or condition that "substantially impairs the use, value or safety of a vehicle".

I don't think an error that says "Surround View Limited" and disables the auto lane change would qualify as substantially impairing the use. It is actually more of just a minor inconvenience.

I suspect a few Model 3 owners have probably already gotten close to having it expired, so I hope they offer it relatively soon for those drivers and other hi-mileage drivers.

Seeing the pricing on the S/X makes me think a 4 year extended warranty would be from $3k to $5k.
Extended Service Agreement

Personally though, I think failures occur more based on time (and bad luck) than mileage except for possibly the drive train which would be covered under the included 8 year / 120k miles anyways.

I'd expect the 3 to be cheaper if/when they offer it... it's a vastly less complex car (no presenting door handles, smaller screen, no dash, a TON less wiring/electronics, no physical air vents, etc.) plus the volume on parts should make those cheaper too... agreed on time vs miles though, a benefit of so few moving parts.

...what maintenance?

Change brake fluid every 2 years, change battery coolant every 4.

That's pretty much it for maintenance (as opposed to wear parts like wipers, tires, and brake pads that maint. plans don't cover).

As to the extended warranty- I expect they want to get as much "in the wild" data as they can on failures before they price one.
The S and the X both have a prepaid maintenance plan. I'm wondering how much Tesla will charge for a brake fluid and battery coolant change.

The S and the X both have a prepaid maintenance plan

The maintenance plans on the S/X are simply you prepaid, with a discount, for the annual service visits (and the 3 does not require service that often).

That said- even on the S/X, most of the items in the annual visit are nonsense things there's no reason to pay the insane Tesla pricing for... (it's crap like wiper blades, tire rotation, changing fob batteries, etc)

The maintenance plans on the S/X are simply you prepaid, with a discount, for the annual service visits (and the 3 does not require service that often).

That said- even on the S/X, most of the items in the annual visit are nonsense things there's no reason to pay the insane Tesla pricing for... (it's crap like wiper blades, tire rotation, changing fob batteries, etc)
The battery coolant is what I'm most interested in. I also would like them to do a general inspection on annual basis.

the car has like 6 moving parts- what do you want them to inspect? :)

Realistically though it seems Tesla would need a MASSIVE expansion of number of service centers, and staff at those centers, to be able to offer the same frequency and level of service/checks/maintenance that they offer on the S/X, given the much higher sales volume on the 3.

Rather than do that they seem to be admitting the car doesn't really need hardly any of that anyway. It's one of the (several) significant costs savings compared to an ICE vehicle.

the car has like 6 moving parts- what do you want them to inspect? :)

Realistically though it seems Tesla would need a MASSIVE expansion of number of service centers, and staff at those centers, to be able to offer the same frequency and level of service/checks/maintenance that they offer on the S/X, given the much higher sales volume on the 3.

Rather than do that they seem to be admitting the car doesn't really need hardly any of that anyway. It's one of the (several) significant costs savings compared to an ICE vehicle.
I would like them to check the sensors and cameras to make sure nothing is wrong with them. It could be a matter of life and death if they were malfunctioning. Also I want them to check the battery for any damage. I don't want my car to go up in flames.

It would also make me feel better if they kicked the tires while they're at it. :D