Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It changes the XM station on MCU by voice command. 100% getting XM from antennae not WiFi streaming.

Heard back from a Tesla rep and got this msg

1143716-00-C : not available

1143711-00-C: not available

1622932-00-B = radio tuner AVAILABLE for $225 plus service
Thanks for doing the leg-work for us. At least we have a realistic ballpark number for the price.

In the photo you uploaded it shows the streaming icon and "Utopia Radio." It's not showing the SiriusXM channel playing so that is why I asked.

Reactions: ArtK
Thanks for doing the leg-work for us. At least we have a realistic ballpark number for the price.

In the photo you uploaded it shows the streaming icon and "Utopia Radio." It's not showing the SiriusXM channel playing so that is why I asked.
Utopia radio is a XM channel.

Newer Model S and X use the same tuner.
1622932-00-B = radio tuner AVAILABLE for $225 plus service

They just replied back that I can buy the tuner without "service."

1658955674573.png

1658955722157.png

Did the icon change in an update or something? I'm truly confused now.

Actually I took a look at both photos and 1 is showing XM icon and another shows streaming icon. Now I'm confused, could the tuner possibly enable wifi streaming???

That's what I'm hoping for, lol. I tried it on my car but it just gave a streaming result. In general, Tesla will default to the Slacker radio streaming source by default. If I say "play Jeremy by Pearl Jam" it will frequently play some other random song with "Jeremy Radio" under slacker/streaming (with the streaming icon next to it).

View attachment 833490
View attachment 833492

Did the icon change in an update or something? I'm truly confused now.
I've been running my OEM Tesla tuner (without audio form the OEM tuner) along with my FM modulator tuner for not quite a month now. I'll tune both the OEM and FM modulator tuners to the same channel so I get both the text (artist/song) as well as the audio as a workaround until the OEM Tesla Tuner works completely.

The channel icon will change from time to time. I assumed it was artwork built into the software, but it will even change for specific songs on the Chill channel for example. I don't currently have a Tesla Premium mobile subscription, nor do I have wifi enabled.

I've been running my OEM Tesla tuner (without audio form the OEM tuner) along with my FM modulator tuner for not quite a month now. I'll tune both the OEM and FM modulator tuners to the same channel so I get both the text (artist/song) as well as the audio as a workaround until the OEM Tesla Tuner works completely.

The channel icon will change from time to time. I assumed it was artwork built into the software, but it will even change for specific songs on the Chill channel for example. I don't currently have a Tesla Premium mobile subscription, nor do I have wifi enabled.
So you have a stand alone XM tuner?

So you have a stand alone XM tuner?

What are we calling a stand alone XM tuner?

My 2022 M3 LR has TWO tuners in it currently.

1. OEM Tesla XM Tuner which does everything but the audio (Currently on 3 month free trial sub)
2. FM modulator XM Tuner that audio comes through on an FM radio station. (Currently holding my lifetime sub)

Since the problem with my current setup is that the last FM tuned station comes through, I have the effect of it fully working, I just have to change the channel twice. Once on the #1 tuner through the MCU LCD interface and then again on #2 tuner through an IR remote. I don't like this, but its a workaround trying for the full solution of a single OEM Tesla XM tuner working.

So I think why this works for owners with an Intel Atom mcu and not Ryzen mcu's has something to do with new tesla model s and x not coming with sirius. I looked at the current service wiring diagrams, and none of the newer ones show the sat antenna. Older model s and x with intel mcu does have the sat antenna on the tuner module. Can anyone confirm if at some point tesla stopped having new model s and x vehicles ship with the xm equipped tuner? Also for those wondering the tuner and mcu use BroadReach ethernet not CAN for communicating. So if the mcu is detecting the tuner at all then its not physical wiring blocking the audio connection. My suspicion is the ryzen unit has a different way of outputting audio, and that the sirius xm application that pops up was coded for the intel atom units. This would only make sense if around the time of shipping ryzen they stopped having sirius equipped cars.

1659010369055.png

Hey, really appreciate someone else weighing in on the circuitry aspect. Unfortunately the explanation for the failure in newer models is not so simple; the newer Model S definitely has SiriusXM, as illustrated here and by the Plaid models having a new iteration of the tuner too. I don't think Tesla is phasing it out in general.

I can corroborate your interpretation of the diagrams though. For whatever reason they usually don't show the antenna as an element in any of the diagrams I've reviewed (Model 3, Y, X).

EDIT: Here it is in the S 2021+ diagram; maybe I was thinking of the amps, not the antenna:
1659011310807.png

As for the ethernet/CAN debacle, do you have documentation on the newer model's network? I assume you're right about the switch in the MCU; that was what the old MCU used as well. That is why I am so perplexed by the circuit diagram using the same pins the tuner uses; I don't even know what that implies.

Last edited:
What are we calling a stand alone XM tuner?

My 2022 M3 LR has TWO tuners in it currently.

1. OEM Tesla XM Tuner which does everything but the audio (Currently on 3 month free trial sub)
2. FM modulator XM Tuner that audio comes through on an FM radio station. (Currently holding my lifetime sub)

Since the problem with my current setup is that the last FM tuned station comes through, I have the effect of it fully working, I just have to change the channel twice. Once on the #1 tuner through the MCU LCD interface and then again on #2 tuner through an IR remote. I don't like this, but its a workaround trying for the full solution of a single OEM Tesla XM tuner working.
Stand alone XM tuner = FM modulator XM tuner.

So do you have 2 XM antenna?

Also this is from another thread but interesting regarding the XM antenna vs streaming
Your X is getting the actual radio signal via the satellite. However, it does get channel listing and frequency via LTE for some reason. So, if you lose LTE service and were already listening to it, it will continue to play. But if you were on streaming, and try to switch to SXM, it won't load, because it needs the LTE signal to find the frequency or something. Not 100% sure on the exact technical details.

I can't say for sure as I have not seen your garage -- but with the past 4 cars I've had, I've always had SXM signal even when backing my car in, so the antenna is all the way in -- even with garage door closed, and no line of sight. And yet, I go under a bridge or a tree, and it cuts out... no clue how/why.
From "very strange XM behavior" post

Reactions: ph0ton
Might be a stupid question as I will attempt the install this weekend, but how easy is it to access the Model 3 FM tuner. I can see that we need to remove the panel on the passenger side on top of the trunk, but is there any video you guys have watched in order to do it the proper way? Thanks

stutech gave me an idea and I checked the Model S diagrams to see if they were hooked up similarly:
Tuners:

1659011557693.png

1659011592976.png

CAN:
1659011631729.png

1659011658551.png

I think I got us chasing our own tail here. Clearly in the Model S diagrams they are notated on entirely different connectors. Looking back at the connectors, it says the chassis CAN comes in on X908 but the other reference clearly shows it coming from X175:

1659011911336.png

Lesson of the day? These diagrams are inaccurate; we can't trust without verifying it in triplicate!

Might be a stupid question as I will attempt the install this weekend, but how easy is it to access the Model 3 FM tuner. I can see that we need to remove the panel on the passenger side on top of the trunk, but is there any video you guys have watched in order to do it the proper way? Thanks

Unfortunately not. I kind of just wiggled my fingers in the top and yanked down. The service manual shows push clips???

1659012222804.png

1659012263435.png

This applies to the right-hand side too. Maybe they're just push clips because you can just push it in; I have no idea how you release them from the outside.

Reactions: Germ
its fairly simple. there are like 4 pieces you need to remove, which are all head in by clips

check this post above by @ElectricNerd

Reactions: ElectricNerd