Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they're still giving me a hassle through the app.

"if the part is for anything other than a model 3, we will need the vin to that vehicle."

this after i sent them a screenshot from the parts catalog where it clearly says no vin required. madness.

also, hilariously, the radio for the model 3 now costs almost $600.

"if the part is for anything other than a model 3, we will need the vin to that vehicle."

this after i sent them a screenshot from the parts catalog where it clearly says no vin required. madness.

What happens if you just find a VIN online from a used vehicle listing for example and use that?

Tesla customer service is by far the worst. It will prob be the reason that I wont purchase another Tesla. Their #1 excuse is always "we technically are not a dealership"

600$!!!! Now I feel bad gutting my 36$ one

after i asked what the purpose of having it listed that way is, they are allowing me to purchase. $225 (which is what was quoted earlier in this thread as the price for the plaid tuner).

if anyone is still looking for a tuner, i'll have one available in about a week (the original C model tuner that i'm replacing with the plaid one). to be clear, the older model tuner does work, just with occasional static (that may or may not bother some people, but it bothers me enough that i'm willing to give the plaid tuner a shot). based on replies from @PhilCaps i'm hopeful that it will, but i won't know for sure til i get my hands on the plaid tuner and try it out.

Last edited:
@ph0ton @PhilCaps since you two are the two who seem to use this the most like i do (and anyone else really who wants to chime in), can you check something for me? my FM radio still works, but i've lost the "stations" list for the most part (where it used to be present almost all the time)...the tab on the FM app that shows you the stations that are available in the area, along with all HD sub-channels. for me, this list seems to have disappeared completely except that occasionally it comes on and shows me only the station i'm listening to, if i leave it on long enough.

wondering if this is something weird going on with just our SXM hack, or just my radio. my reception seems to be fine, i can still get all the stations i previously could at my home...i just don't have that list coming up anymore when driving around. i noticed the other day that it was gone when i tried to listen to the traffic report on KNX, and just did a quick drive around tonight to test it out...sure enough, that screen never showed me anything other than the station i was currently on.

also weird, the little signal strength icon at the bottom right of the FM channel icon keeps bouncing between having signal and then having a line through it. off and on and off and on. constantly.

trying to figure out if this is something that has broken in my setup, or if they borked something in a recent update (would be interesting to hear if any regular model 3 FM radio peeps could chime in, perhaps i'll post this as a question in the main forum after you guys can confirm whether or not you're seeing the same thing).

@ph0ton @PhilCaps since you two are the two who seem to use this the most like i do (and anyone else really who wants to chime in), can you check something for me? my FM radio still works, but i've lost the "stations" list for the most part (where it used to be present almost all the time)...the tab on the FM app that shows you the stations that are available in the area, along with all HD sub-channels. for me, this list seems to have disappeared completely except that occasionally it comes on and shows me only the station i'm listening to, if i leave it on long enough.

wondering if this is something weird going on with just our SXM hack, or just my radio. my reception seems to be fine, i can still get all the stations i previously could at my home...i just don't have that list coming up anymore when driving around. i noticed the other day that it was gone when i tried to listen to the traffic report on KNX, and just did a quick drive around tonight to test it out...sure enough, that screen never showed me anything other than the station i was currently on.

also weird, the little signal strength icon at the bottom right of the FM channel icon keeps bouncing between having signal and then having a line through it. off and on and off and on. constantly.

trying to figure out if this is something that has broken in my setup, or if they borked something in a recent update (would be interesting to hear if any regular model 3 FM radio peeps could chime in, perhaps i'll post this as a question in the main forum after you guys can confirm whether or not you're seeing the same thing).
I have all those same problems once in a whie. No idea what causes it but i noticed if you switch to streaming for a bit then back to FM all of it goes back to normal.

Reactions: crackers8199
I have all those same problems once in a whie. No idea what causes it but i noticed if you switch to streaming for a bit then back to FM all of it goes back to normal.

interesting. i hadn't tried that...i'll give that a shot.

while i'm waiting for tesla service to fix my invoice so i can buy the plaid tuner, i also ordered these ferrite cores from amazon to see if they fix the static/popping/clipping issues with the C model tuner:

pretty sure they won't do any good, but i figured it's worth a shot.

I haven't observed this behavior. I was reticent at first about using the amplifier on the second antenna because though it would increase the amplitude, it probably does nothing for the signal to noise ratio. I suspected that maybe I might lose channels or data over channels because the amplifier might be just amplifying noise.

I haven't seen anything on my side to suspect my suspicions are true, but maybe the FM signal is too "loud" with both amplifiers. Maybe the polarity is reversed on the jumpers? I did see the station list act kind of janky when I had my data antennas disconnected but I can't recall the specifics of it.

Maybe the polarity is reversed on the jumpers?

I thought maybe this was it, but I've tried it both ways with no change. also, it was working fine when I first hooked everything up and then subsequently has stopped (which is why I thought maybe it was an issue with a recent update). the weird thing is that the radio itself still works and is still pulling in stations from far away just as strongly as it was before, just with this new odd behavior.

edit: perhaps I'll try to create a jumper to fakra wire this weekend if I get some time so I can bypass the second amp and see if that changes anything. I have no idea how to install a fakra though, so it would probably entail just getting an existing fakra cable, cutting one end and soldering the three jumpers to it. would that even work?

Last edited:
I thought maybe this was it, but I've tried it both ways with no change. also, it was working fine when I first hooked everything up and then subsequently has stopped (which is why I thought maybe it was an issue with a recent update). the weird thing is that the radio itself still works and is still pulling in stations from far away just as strongly as it was before, just with this new odd behavior.

edit: perhaps I'll try to create a jumper to fakra wire this weekend if I get some time so I can bypass the second amp and see if that changes anything. I have no idea how to install a fakra though, so it would probably entail just getting an existing fakra cable, cutting one end and soldering the three jumpers to it. would that even work?
I am pretty sure one of the leads off the antenna is just for noise filtering (via destructive interference) within the amp. On the other hand the fakra just has one wire for signal (the inner one) while there is a braided wire around it for EMI filtering. You should be able to trace the ground wire and use either aerial for the signal.

As for specs, I couldn't find any for a double fakra connector but it implies a power connection with the color so maybe the tuner is designed to handle it anyways? I feel like you have to be at least an automotive engineer to talk about this stuff in a semi-competent capacity.

the static is definitely within the wiring somewhere, but I can't figure out exactly where. I can get it to jump a bit by just wiggling the wires around under the radio (but not consistently). not sure if there's a good way to fix this...there was also a small nick in the yellow wire on the harness. I liquid taped it the best I could, but it hasn't fixed anything.

just for kicks, I just put my original FM tuner back in...the static is there too on FM. so it's not the tuner...it's either my car or the wiring somewhere along the way. not sure there's a good way to fix that, I can imagine it won't be cheap since I'm out of warranty.

• Funny
Reactions: ph0ton
Yeah definitely not my "clipping". That's bad
interestingly enough, I did a service mode software reinstall last night before going to bed, then let it sit overnight (which I suppose is the same as a hard reset)...this morning, it's gone. we'll see for how long, but hopefully that plus covering up that small nick on the wire in the harness will take care of it. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

Reactions: ArtK