Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i wish they would, its not that difficult to do and please a lot of people. sxm should not be classed as a luxury item
I am so done with this car. 100k. No way to speak to anyone. No customer service. The whole SXM favorite thing seems like it's not a priority to them... even with all the complaints and the cost of the SXM service... which is unusable because you can't scroll your favorites. That's because the whole engineering team is at Twitter trying to wreck that company. The car drives great. The entertainment system is a piece of dreck. This is my 3rd and LAST Tesla. I'd rather drive a Toyota that has a functional radio and Sirius and Spotify.

Yea... it's never being fixed. Been a year since I got the car and I personally wish I had not bought it. In 2 years it's over for me with them.

i'm amazed that more of you with an S or X that are dealing with this haven't taken them to arbitration over it. people should be filing with the NHTSA as well, since it's a safety issue to force people to look at the screen rather than being able to control the radio with the steering wheel.

I sent them an email to their legal. The local repair shop called me and assured me they are working on it and that it should work. I don't care anymore. I asked why I couldn't have a tilted screen so I don't have to take my eyes of road to even adjust my AC.. it's not possible. I asked them to fix horn... not possible. I drive the other car I have. It was an expensive mistake.

I sent them an email to their legal. The local repair shop called me and assured me they are working on it and that it should work. I don't care anymore. I asked why I couldn't have a tilted screen so I don't have to take my eyes off road to even adjust my AC.. it's not possible. I asked them to fix horn... not possible. I drive the other car I have. It was an expensive mistake.
Since I got the MSP in late 2021, XM has been messed up. Tesla does not care. But wait…we are getting a Christmas update that adds a Fart…..shows the caliber of of the Tesla team..👎

I appreciate being directed to the thread on OEM installation of XM radio -- I read pages and pages -- kudos for all the work and troubleshooting, can anyone tell me if they successfully installed a Model X Tuner to function in a model 3 or model Y with the newer Ryzen CPU ??

I appreciate being directed to the thread on OEM installation of XM radio -- I read pages and pages -- kudos for all the work and troubleshooting, can anyone tell me if they successfully installed a Model X Tuner to function in a model 3 or model Y with the newer Ryzen CPU ??
To the best of our knowledge this is not possible unless someone has higher-level gateway access to change the codes; even then it might not work.

Reactions: crackers8199
I have a sxm tuner in my Ryzen m3p and answer is no.

Update;

Sirius app disappeared few a few days but came back the other day. Unfortunately no changes in functionality in amd Ryzen models. Able to change stations in on screen app but no sound.

I don't plan to remove the SXM tuner so I'll update if it ever starts working, but not holding my breath.

another annoyance that we've discussed here previously, but hit me last night. after the rose bowl, cell service was spotty at best...when we got back to the car after the game, I realized that I had left Spotify on while we were tailgating. this led to me not being able to access SXM, because the connection wasn't already active and the favorites don't work (i.e. I didnt have one available in my recents list to press to get me back to SXM, which is the workaround @ph0ton discovered earlier in this thread). had I left it on SXM we would have been fine, but since I had it on a different input, we were screwed. since the car needs internet to pull the channel list every time it starts up, without an internet connection you have no way to switch to SXM, short of the workaround I just mentioned.

we sat in the car for a while in silence, waiting for traffic to clear out before heading home (no internet so no streaming, and I have the FM radio disconnected). after about 10 mins, I decided to try my phone hotspot. even though I had limited cell service via T-Mobile, the car connected to my hotspot and was able to load the SXM channel list so that I could pick a channel and change to that input.

it boggles my mind that the media interface in these highly advanced, very expensive cars that can literally almost drive themselves is so horrific. it's quite frankly embarrassing that Elon is more worried about adding fart noises and games to the car than fixing obviously horribly written and designed stuff like this that affect everyone's day to day driving lives.

Jumping in on this thread late…crackers8199, my problem seems similar to yours. 2015 Model S, upgraded to MCU2 with SXM/AM/FM receiver. Since the upgrade, my SXM/AM/FM crackles anytime I turn volume up or down, and also at random/sporadically when listening to music. Now it also started cutting out for 1-2 seconds randomly when using Bluetooth for music or phone call, as well as when streaming. It is incredibly annoying and makes all audio virtually unusable. Took it to SC who told me it is a firmware issue, engineers are aware, and no ETA for the fix. Got a second opinion from another SC (I’m an hour from two different ones), same conclusion.

Two videos can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/@jarrodklunk, one on SXM and one on streaming. It is so bad that I’m thinking about getting rid of the vehicle. I have a mobile service scheduled for next week, but I’m expecting them to cancel it and tell me to wait for a (possible, but not probable) firmware update.

• Informative
Reactions: ph0ton
Jumping in on this thread late…crackers8199, my problem seems similar to yours. 2015 Model S, upgraded to MCU2 with SXM/AM/FM receiver. Since the upgrade, my SXM/AM/FM crackles anytime I turn volume up or down, and also at random/sporadically when listening to music. Now it also started cutting out for 1-2 seconds randomly when using Bluetooth for music or phone call, as well as when streaming. It is incredibly annoying and makes all audio virtually unusable. Took it to SC who told me it is a firmware issue, engineers are aware, and no ETA for the fix. Got a second opinion from another SC (I’m an hour from two different ones), same conclusion.

Two videos can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/@jarrodklunk, one on SXM and one on streaming. It is so bad that I’m thinking about getting rid of the vehicle. I have a mobile service scheduled for next week, but I’m expecting them to cancel it and tell me to wait for a (possible, but not probable) firmware update.

This is the model 3 subforum, and model 3s do not come with any sort of OEM SXM functionality. Perhaps there is a thread in the model S subforum that is more appropriate?

This is the model 3 subforum, and model 3s do not come with any sort of OEM SXM functionality. Perhaps there is a thread in the model S subforum that is more appropriate?

i think his post here is valid since he's seeing the same behavior i and others have seen when we implemented the SXM retrofit into the 3 or Y (the scratchy audio / clipping). it seems that we're having the same issues that S/X owners have with this horrific SXM implementation, so completely valid to post it here IMO.

i'm actually somewhat relieved to hear that they think it's a firmware issue, as maybe they'll eventually fix it. i was worried it was something in my wiring that was going to be impossible to figure out...although, given how they've just completely ignored everyone on the favorites issue and basically told us that we're all too stupid to see that it's working as it should be, i'm not going to get my hopes up.

Reactions: ph0ton
i think his post here is valid since he's seeing the same behavior i and others have seen when we implemented the SXM retrofit into the 3 or Y (the scratchy audio / clipping). it seems that we're having the same issues that S/X owners have with this horrific SXM implementation, so completely valid to post it here IMO.

i'm actually somewhat relieved to hear that they think it's a firmware issue, as maybe they'll eventually fix it. i was worried it was something in my wiring that was going to be impossible to figure out...although, given how they've just completely ignored everyone on the favorites issue and basically told us that we're all too stupid to see that it's working as it should be, i'm not going to get my hopes up.
Thanks. I had a mobile tech appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but they switched it to service center (90 minutes away) and not until 2/7. Will report back if/when I know more.

Related note—I also have a MX that I swapped out MCU1 for MCU2, however they inadvertently installed the MCU2 without AM/FM/SXM even though I requested it. Have not had a single problem with streaming/Bluetooth in this one. If they cannot get a fix I may request they swap out MCU2 to no SXM receiver and refund the difference. They told me once they would not do that even though the current version clearly does not work.

If they cannot get a fix I may request they swap out MCU2 to no SXM receiver and refund the difference. They told me once they would not do that even though the current version clearly does not work.
There is no difference in the MCU2s, the difference is if they install the tuner box or not. I don't know if you could just unplug it or if they have to change a configuration.

And BTW there is no AM on MCU2s even with the tuner.

I appreciate the mod helping mediate the conversation, but yeah, I'm also relieved that the behavior is innate to the audio stack, instead of our possibly janky wiring.

I'm on 2023.2.10 and everything is working the same.

Giving users the opportunity to add satellite radio (app or hardware) or basic ipod connectivity would make so many owners and/or potential owners happy. I just don't understand why the company is so neglectful of the music interface in general. They would rather put resources into silly things like farting noises than make more of their user base happy. It just makes no sense to me.

Interesting development today—I also have a 2016 Model X where I upgraded to MCU2 but did not add SXM/FM tuner. Was fine until today, when streaming starting pausing/skipping back just like my Model S. I just upgraded software to 2023.2.10 last night.

I’d recommend waiting on the software upgrade if you are not having problems, as I now have it with 2015 MS and 2016 MX. I’m guessing there could be issues with M3 and MY as well.