Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found something local, but it appears to be a DOM in 2021, which should be an Intel. Do we have a data sheet for tested tuners?

these are the two model numbers that people have confirmed working, at least on intel cars:

• Tesla part number: 1143716-00-C (old Model X tuner)
  • Tesla part number: 1622932-00-B (Plaid tuner)

there are older tuners that may also work, but i don't think anyone has tried them yet. also, i believe everyone who has gotten this working on AMD cars so far (which seems to be a very small number of people, i believe just @leecox and @PhilCaps) has used the plaid tuner.

Reactions: ph0ton
these are the two model numbers that people have confirmed working, at least on intel cars:

• Tesla part number: 1143716-00-C (old Model X tuner)
  • Tesla part number: 1622932-00-B (Plaid tuner)

there are older tuners that may also work, but i don't think anyone has tried them yet. also, i believe everyone who has gotten this working on AMD cars so far (which seems to be a very small number of people, i believe just @leecox and @PhilCaps) has used the plaid tuner.
I just purchased 1622932-00-A, I will report back by the end of the week hopefully. (AMD MY)

I just purchased 1622932-00-A, I will report back by the end of the week hopefully. (AMD MY)
SiriusXM appears as a source like previous ones. I am waiting for my antenna and Fakra adapter to come in the mail. I should know by Thursday if it works. HD Radio still works in the meantime. It did require an update/software reinstall for the tuner to work. I happened to have an update pending for 44.1. It was a bit nerve-wracking as SXM did not initially appear as a source option, but once the car established an internet connection, it appeared as a source option.

Okay, skipped a few steps ahead. Here’s a tip, if you’re willing to do a little bit of nervous removal, you can remove the Fakra Adapter housing and directly connect the SXM antenna without the adapter.
IMG_2657.jpeg

Alright, and for the important part of the update. After bypassing the adapter, SXM worked! I was able to load up the preview channel! Unfortunately, once the refresh processed, it deactivated the subscription that was on the radio. But the important news, I can tune to and listen to the SXM Preview channel!!!!

EDIT: I had to directly contact SXM support as I could not add the radio ID to my account without chatting with them. They had no issues adding the free trial even though this tuner was previously activated. Funny enough, it says my trial ends on 11/10/20 on the preview channel. A bit odd. But, everything worked. I did not initially get the refresh signal within 30 minutes, but upon a reboot, it worked!
IMG_2655.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

Tuner:
1622932-00-A

Last edited:
Okay, skipped a few steps ahead. Here’s a tip, if you’re willing to do a little bit of nervous removal, you can remove the Fakra Adapter housing and directly connect the SXM antenna without the adapter.
View attachment 998734
Alright, and for the important part of the update. After bypassing the adapter, SXM worked! I was able to load up the preview channel! Unfortunately, once the refresh processed, it deactivated the subscription that was on the radio. But the important news, I can tune to and listen to the SXM Preview channel!!!!
View attachment 998733
View attachment 998735

Tuner:
1622932-00-A
Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
Installed a 1622932-00-B receiver into my 3/21 (Intel) build Model YP and the Sirius option came up after a couple reboots with the steering wheel buttons. Didn't use an antenna adapter like @WhiteOnWhiteMY in the above post by removing the fakra housing and everything was fine. Antenna was tucked underneath the hatch and window and no dropouts after driving ~60 miles.

Receiver showed a last use of 2020 on the subscription screen, Sirius had no problem giving 3 months free trial. Props to the guys that ventured early to make this happen, and allowing me to finally get away from the iPhone app.

2023-12-12 10.06.58.jpg

View attachment 998734

EDIT: I had to directly contact SXM support as I could not add the radio ID to my account without chatting with them. They had no issues adding the free trial even though this tuner was previously activated. Funny enough, it says my trial ends on 11/10/20 on the preview channel. A bit odd. But, everything worked. I did not initially get the refresh signal within 30 minutes, but upon a reboot, it worked!
View attachment 998733
View attachment 998735

Tuner:
1622932-00-A

how complicated was it to take the fakra housing out? that might actually be something worthwihle for us model 3 owners to do, as the fakra housing combined with the antenna adapter pushes against the top left bolt that mounts the tuner to the car. without that housing, it would probably make it much easier to connect that bolt.

also, i think the fact that you got the -A tuner working indicates pretty clearly that it's something in the new software (2023.44.1) that turns the support on. seems like it'll probably work on any car now (intel or AMD) with any tuner.

how complicated was it to take the fakra housing out? that might actually be something worthwihle for us model 3 owners to do, as the fakra housing combined with the antenna adapter pushes against the top left bolt that mounts the tuner to the car. without that housing, it would probably make it much easier to connect that bolt.

also, i think the fact that you got the -A tuner working indicates pretty clearly that it's something in the new software (2023.44.1) that turns the support on. seems like it'll probably work on any car now (intel or AMD) with any tuner.
I agree with your second point. I would advise the refresh tuners as they are plug-and-play as far as I can tell.

The Fakra connector is super easy to remove. You need a small flathead screwdriver to pry it off. It's super simple, pretty much friction mounted. Once you remove it, the SMB connector on the antenna can easily slide on. Ensure you are prying between the curry-colored connector and the metal immediately adjacent.

About a year and a half ago I installed the first Tesla OEM XM receiver into my 2022 Model 3 and created this thread.

Today, like others posted, I can confirm that it works with my Ryzen based Model 3!

I appreciate the @leecox posting the exact steps and details that made theirs work. For more data for the thread I'll post mine now.
As detailed in my first posts, I already had my Tesla OEM tuner recognized by the software including channel listings and song titles (with an active subscription). However I had no sound from XM (I would just hear the last tuned FM radio station when going into the SiriusXM tuning in the MCU). I was on software version 2023.32.9

I performed a software update to 2023.38.6. No change in behavior.
I performed a software update to 2023.44.30.2. Upon completion of the software update the Tesla Sirius XM tuning worked immediately.

-
No service mode needed
-No software redeploy
-No full power down (battery disconnects)

It just worked with audio on the preview channel! (I have not put a live subscription on it yet)
I can also report that this is using the original Tesla Model X listing in the very first page of this thread.

Specifically:
1143716-00-C
Date of Manufacture 12/10/2019

So I can confirm that the new Plaid tuners are NOT a requirement for a 2022 Model 3 with Ryzen MCU. The old Model X one from 2019 works!!

Thank you everyone that kept this idea alive and trying new things, and refining the installation, education, and functionality!

Good morning all,
Great research and write up. I just purchased my Model Y yesterday, and was disappointed to find out that SiriusXM wasn't included. I had asked the sales guy at the Tesla showroom, and he said it was included, but he is obviously wrong. He was new, and although he was very helpful, he didn't have all the correct information.

I'm looking on eBay trying to find a reasonably priced 1622932-00-A or 1622932-00-B receiver, but the only listing I'm seeing is over 400, which seems obscene. Do these come up at reasonable prices from time to time?

Reactions: ph0ton and ArtK
Good morning all,
Great research and write up. I just purchased my Model Y yesterday, and was disappointed to find out that SiriusXM wasn't included. I had asked the sales guy at the Tesla showroom, and he said it was included, but he is obviously wrong. He was new, and although he was very helpful, he didn't have all the correct information.

I'm looking on eBay trying to find a reasonably priced 1622932-00-A or 1622932-00-B receiver, but the only listing I'm seeing is over 400, which seems obscene. Do these come up at reasonable prices from time to time?
Yes, I purchased one for $175 last week. It will require you to be diligent if you want a plaid specific tuner. Although, if you’re willing to risk it, it seems like there is no requirement for it to be a plaid tuner after all!

Yes, I purchased one for $175 last week. It will require you to be diligent if you want a plaid specific tuner. Although, if you’re willing to risk it, it seems like there is no requirement for it to be a plaid tuner after all!

I actually just found the older 1143716-00-C that @sparkywatts said the got working with his Ryzen model 3 for $170. Much more palatable than over $400. So long as I get it fitted within 30 days, I can verify if it works or not. If it doesn't I can return it for a restocking fee. Worth the risk for me at that point.

Reactions: ArtK
I actually just found the older 1143716-00-C that @sparkywatts said the got working with his Ryzen model 3 for $170. Much more palatable than over $400. So long as I get it fitted within 30 days, I can verify if it works or not. If it doesn't I can return it for a restocking fee. Worth the risk for me at that point.

as long as the tuner isn't DOA, it will work.

I seem to have lost the ability to edit my prior posts (or I can't find the button now).

I wanted to post that I did throw a monthly subscription on the Model X tuner in my 2022 Model 3 with Ryzen MCU and I am successfully tuning all subscribe streams. While I was hearing the preview channel, I did have to go to the SiriusXM website and send the refresh signal twice. On the second refresh sending I had full channels in just a few seconds. I'll run this monthly sub for a bit to make sure its working, then transfer my lifetime SiriusXM sub over instead.

Also this is how this tuner from a Model X:

1143716-00-C
Date of Manufacture 12/10/2019

... appears in my SiriusXM account:

1703098189471.png