Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm pretty sure at least one person has tried the plaid SXM tuner (which would have had to be from an AMD car), and it still didn't work. let me see if i can find that post and i'll tag him...

edit: here it is, it was @PhilCaps who tried this and had it not work. so, it's not just a matter of using the plaid tuner w/ AMD car...it has to be something else.

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure at least one person has tried the plaid SXM tuner (which would have had to be from an AMD car), and it still didn't work. let me see if i can find that post and i'll tag him...

edit: here it is, it was @PhilCaps who tried this and had it not work. so, it's not just a matter of using the plaid tuner w/ AMD car...it has to be something else.

Maybe @PhilCaps can try the method outlined above and report back! Would be exciting to hear this works!

Reactions: crackers8199
estimated cost for parts?

the most expensive part by far is the new tuner, which you can sometimes find on ebay for around $200. it can sometimes be difficult to get the service center to sell you the tuner, since it doesn't apply to your car. i got a quote from them before buying it on ebay, direct from tesla it's $225 - at least it was last year when i first did this mod.

if you want a second model 3 tuner to be able to use that for the housing swap and keep your existing tuner intact, that's another $50 or so on ebay. don't get that from tesla, they charge like $600 for the tuner brand new (i remember this one because it was so absurd).

the rest of the parts needed (antenna and adapters) are cheap.

rough ballpark estimate... absolute minimum (if you want to leave FM completely disconnected) is somewhere in the neighborhood of $250. that's the new tuner, the SXM antenna, and the SXM antenna adapter.

if you want to connect only one side of the FM antenna and live with degraded reception, you're probably looking at an additional $25 on top of that.

if you want to connect everything, including both sides of the FM antenna (which gives you basically stock FM reception plus SXM), add another $35 or so for the additional parts needed for that.

so, somewhere between $250 and $350 (allowing for a bit of overages if some of these parts cost a bit more at any given time) is a good rough estimate. you can also then add another $50 for the spare model 3 tuner on top of that, if you want to go that route.

cost for the model Y will probably vary slightly, but this is a good rough estimate for both.

the most expensive part by far is the new tuner, which you can sometimes find on ebay for around $200. it can sometimes be difficult to get the service center to sell you the tuner, since it doesn't apply to your car. i got a quote from them before buying it on ebay, direct from tesla it's $225 - at least it was last year when i first did this mod.

if you want a second model 3 tuner to be able to use that for the housing swap and keep your existing tuner intact, that's another $50 or so on ebay. don't get that from tesla, they charge like $600 for the tuner brand new (i remember this one because it was so absurd).

the rest of the parts needed (antenna and adapters) are cheap.

rough ballpark estimate... absolute minimum (if you want to leave FM completely disconnected) is somewhere in the neighborhood of $250. that's the new tuner, the SXM antenna, and the SXM antenna adapter.

if you want to connect only one side of the FM antenna and live with degraded reception, you're probably looking at an additional $25 on top of that.

if you want to connect everything, including both sides of the FM antenna (which gives you basically stock FM reception plus SXM), add another $35 or so for the additional parts needed for that.

so, somewhere between $250 and $350 (allowing for a bit of overages if some of these parts cost a bit more at any given time) is a good rough estimate. you can also then add another $50 for the spare model 3 tuner on top of that, if you want to go that route.

cost for the model Y will probably vary slightly, but this is a good rough estimate for both.
Model Y costs for me are roughly $160. Tuner, Xm Antenna, and Antenna Adapter. The Y has the same antenna setup as the S and X so its plug and play with the mounting plate swap.

eBay, watch the item and the seller will send you a lower offer. A lot of them are automated. It was listed at 199. Offered at 99. $135 with tax and shipping.

good on you. I tried that and could never get anyone down on price. I finally got sick of waiting and paid $225 when I did this last year.

it does look like there are more options now though, at least for the regular tuner. the plaid tuner seems harder to come by...I wonder if with the new update this would work on an AMD car with the old tuner.

good on you. I tried that and could never get anyone down on price. I finally got sick of waiting and paid $225 when I did this last year.

it does look like there are more options now though, at least for the regular tuner. the plaid tuner seems harder to come by...I wonder if with the new update this would work on an AMD car with the old tuner.
I found something local, but it appears to be a DOM in 2021, which should be an Intel. Do we have a data sheet for tested tuners?