Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed heat pump and supermanifold, out of warranty - $ouch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I definitely mentioned it, multiple times. The fact there is no recall or service bulletin for these parts that's applicable to my car means there's nothing they can do. In-warranty it would be a different story - they told me they've replaced lots of heat pumps because of the issues in the last little while so they have the process down to a tee. But for older vehicles like mine, there is no acknowledged issue and therefore nothing they can do.
Yeah, after looking through a few pages of the other thread these are the key points:

1) Only applies to 2021-22 S3XY cars delivered with a specific version of software: Tesla's heat pump problem causing loss of heat explained in new NHTSA recall
2) There's not a whole heap of a lot of problems reported to Transport Canada according to this: More than 170 Tesla owners have complained to Transport Canada about heat pump failures
3) I'd be curious to see if you have this type of damage (if it doesn't come up, it's #293 on page 15): Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

Best of luck with it anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
3) I'd be curious to see if you have this type of damage (if it doesn't come up, it's #293 on page 15): Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

Best of luck with it anyway.
Thanks, appreciate the info. I may just take a look at the damage - I insisted on taking the old parts home with me, on principle as much as anything. They wanted to keep it and send it back to HQ - that may be OK for a warranty repair but in my eyes the old and the new parts both belong to me. You’d think they’d offer some kind of financial incentive in this situation if they really want the parts but nothing was forthcoming.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Thanks, appreciate the info. I may just take a look at the damage - I insisted on taking the old parts home with me, on principle as much as anything. They wanted to keep it and send it back to HQ - that may be OK for a warranty repair but in my eyes the old and the new parts both belong to me. You’d think they’d offer some kind of financial incentive in this situation if they really want the parts but nothing was forthcoming.
Often the cost of the new part is based on returning the core. You can keep the old parts but there may be a significant cost for you to do this.

Thank you for sharing. I am a newbie Tesla owner. So forgive my newbie question. But there is no Extended Warranty that one can buy is there?
I think you could definitely buy one third party. It’s a gamble whether it’s worth it, as with any car.

For the record I think my experience is fairly rare, and I have done 100,000km with zero other maintenance costs aside from wipers, air filters and tires.

I think you could definitely buy one third party. It’s a gamble whether it’s worth it, as with any car.

For the record I think my experience is fairly rare, and I have done 100,000km with zero other maintenance costs aside from wipers, air filters and tires.
Thank you for the clarification. In that sense, at 100KMS with no previous maintenance issues. Then it is par for the course and everything is on the up and up.

My 2020 Model Y has been generally great - we just passed 100,000km. Last night though, sitting in it waiting for my kids there was a loud clunk and then a bunch of battery/BMS warnings. At first it didn't want to drive but a quick reboot and the issues seemed to go away. I went into service mode and took some pics, noticed other warnings in there for the heat pump, and sent it all to Tesla in a service request.

The (very prompt) answer this morning is an estimate to replace the heat pump and supermanifold - $2500 parts and $1400 labour.

Anyone else dealt with this? I've seen posts about heat pump sensor replacements but not so much the whole lot, plus supermanifold. Would this also potentially be the reason for the HV battery warnings?

I haven't noticed any particular issues with lack of heat or cold, so I'm tempted not to do anything immediately. I may just go in and get the battery checked since that was the original issue and they do have a HV battery integrity check/general diagnosis also lined up.

Any relevant experiences or thoughts welcome. I wonder if this might be the time to trade up, even though trade-in prices are no doubt abysmal.
I just had this same problem with my 2020 MY with 100,700 miles on it. Just out of warrantee. I had the same ‘clunk’ and then the car was left non drivable. $3,034 estimate to replace the internal compressor and super manifold….

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I just had this same problem with my 2020 MY with 100,700 miles on it. Just out of warrantee. I had the same ‘clunk’ and then the car was left non drivable. $3,034 estimate to replace the internal compressor and super manifold….
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Seems like we got a little short-changed not being part of any recall but I guess we got decent mileage out of the vehicle before this. My heat pump has been solid since, as has the whole car. Getting tempted to go new (maybe MYP) but when I consider how great this one runs, the fact I have USS and the all bits and pieces I've upgraded, I don't have enough reasons... 130,000km and this 2020 is still going strong as ever.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Seems like we got a little short-changed not being part of any recall but I guess we got decent mileage out of the vehicle before this. My heat pump has been solid since, as has the whole car. Getting tempted to go new (maybe MYP) but when I consider how great this one runs, the fact I have USS and the all bits and pieces I've upgraded, I don't have enough reasons... 130,000km and this 2020 is still going strong as ever.
Keep it going until it’s nearly out of battery warranty. Like you said, you’ll be getting less out of a new one (aside from the MCU update) and your cost/dollar will be better with running your current one longer.

But yeah, all the 2020/earlier 2021 owners should have had that heat pump/super manifold work comp’d since their units likely incurred damage before they fixed it and they have a higher likelihood of failing down the line.

Keep it going until it’s nearly out of battery warranty. Like you said, you’ll be getting less out of a new one (aside from the MCU update) and your cost/dollar will be better with running your current one longer.
Yeah I drove an MYP a week or so ago, expected to be blown away just by the drive but it didn’t feel much faster than my LR with acceleration boost. Yes the screen was definitely smoother and it was a bit quieter but other than that, tough to make a strong argument for change.

I’m definitely going to have to give it serious thought when I approach battery warranty - I’ll have to read up on the early warning signs of issues. Teslamate tells me I have 5.7% degradation which doesn’t seem bad at all.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ