Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed heat pump and supermanifold, out of warranty - $ouch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model Y has been generally great - we just passed 100,000km. Last night though, sitting in it waiting for my kids there was a loud clunk and then a bunch of battery/BMS warnings. At first it didn't want to drive but a quick reboot and the issues seemed to go away. I went into service mode and took some pics, noticed other warnings in there for the heat pump, and sent it all to Tesla in a service request.

The (very prompt) answer this morning is an estimate to replace the heat pump and supermanifold - $2500 parts and $1400 labour.

Anyone else dealt with this? I've seen posts about heat pump sensor replacements but not so much the whole lot, plus supermanifold. Would this also potentially be the reason for the HV battery warnings?

I haven't noticed any particular issues with lack of heat or cold, so I'm tempted not to do anything immediately. I may just go in and get the battery checked since that was the original issue and they do have a HV battery integrity check/general diagnosis also lined up.

Any relevant experiences or thoughts welcome. I wonder if this might be the time to trade up, even though trade-in prices are no doubt abysmal.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I think the first one after the clunk noise was the very ambiguous "Vehicle may not restart. Service is required". Followed by "Electrical system is unable to support all features". Pics attached of the mega-detail from service mode.

IMG_0912.JPEG

IMG_0913.JPEG

IMG_0911.JPEG

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Is it possible to purchase an extended warranty? I doubt I'd do that kind of mileage in 3 years, but I think I'd buy a warranty if its still possible given the possibility of failure.
I think you'd take more of a loss trading in than fixing the issue as well

Last edited:
Yeah you’re probably right on trading, still with price cuts an MYP is tempting. :)

Extended warranties are always a gamble - you might have something like this happen or you might have nothing, and you pay thousands either way. My Model 3 got to similar mileage with no issues.

I’m waiting to see what happens tomorrow when I take it in. They said that replacing all this is “worst case” and then making sure they have the parts before my appointment. If I am looking at anything like these costs, I’ll see there’s a chance for a rational discussion/escalation. Even without a recall I’m not sure this stuff should fail after 2.5 years and 100,000km.

In service mode you will see a lot of alerts that very often seem ominous but really are not. Remember owners are not really supposed to the looking at the service menu, so if you do not see an alert on the main screen then you are fishing for issues in the service menu.

I suggest doing the low-voltage battery replacement and to ignore the heat-pump warning for now, especially if the system seems to be working.

Well, had to go ahead and get it done. Leaving it was not recommended as apparently the signs are there that the heat pump was failing and complete failure could damage other components. It was all well explained and reasonable, the undertones suggest Tesla knows the early heat pumps weren’t up to the job but that doesn’t translate to any pain relief on the cost of fixing. I’m assured I have the new generation parts and it should be much more robust and long-lived.

Oh well, there goes about ten months of gas savings from my two year ownership. As the only major thing I’ve had to deal with, not the end of the world. Having owned German cars, this is really nothing in comparison.

Curious what the "final damage" was? Not sure I saw this in the thread. Like others, I barely do 12k/yr so it is refreshing to see this kind of KM's. Almost appears as though you used it for ride-sharing - no disrespect intended.
$4100. No ride-sharing - busy family, busy kids in sport, have to drive to most things and it's our primary family vehicle. 40,000km has been our typical annual mileage for years, partly why an EV makes a lot of sense.

$4100. No ride-sharing - busy family, busy kids in sport, have to drive to most things and it's our primary family vehicle. 40,000km has been our typical annual mileage for years, partly why an EV makes a lot of sense.
WOW! Très cool!!! YOU are a testament to what should be done with these cars. They are meant to be driven and are not garage-queens. Thank you for sharing that info.

Given the "software" issue of a couple of winters ago which involved overrunning the pump in the winter and having problems with the active vents, I would put it back to Tesla to look into how much that contributed to this breakdown, if it is indeed the Supermanifold.

This is the thread: Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

Last edited:
Given the "software" issue of a couple of winters ago which involved overrunning the pump in the winter and having problems with the active vents, I would put it back to Tesla to look into how much that contributed to this breakdown, if it is indeed the Supermanifold.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well. OP’s HVAC system could have been stressed harder due to that issue which caused it to fail prematurely. Getting Tesla to admit this will be a massive feat though.

The question is who to argue with and how much energy to put into it? I'm definitely not into ranting at the service center staff who are just following the company line, as at any legacy dealership, and they've also been totally reasonable. I pick and choose my battles and TBH it doesn't feel like I'd get anywhere without a lot of hassle. It's a bummer but considering this is really the only major service/maintenance cost I've had after 100,000km it's not terrible.

If you know anyone who successfully got this done free out of warranty, I'd be all ears to more info.

Reactions: jjrandorin and GSP
This is exactly what I was thinking as well. OP’s HVAC system could have been stressed harder due to that issue which caused it to fail prematurely. Getting Tesla to admit this will be a massive feat though.
Yes, it would be a tall feat to get Tesla to take accountability - that even shows up in the other thread. Still, he has a case to at least express it to Tesla.

The question is who to argue with and how much energy to put into it? I'm definitely not into ranting at the service center staff who are just following the company line, as at any legacy dealership, and they've also been totally reasonable. I pick and choose my battles and TBH it doesn't feel like I'd get anywhere without a lot of hassle. It's a bummer but considering this is really the only major service/maintenance cost I've had after 100,000km it's not terrible.

If you know anyone who successfully got this done free out of warranty, I'd be all ears to more info.
That would be tough, but I would still mention it to the service centre staff - no need to rant on it. Still, you shouldn't let it go just because the vehicle is out of warranty, especially if you suspect the damage might be due to this situation. I'm glad that your car has managed to hold up for the 100K, but to me this is above and beyond what should happen. It'll be interesting to see how many failures happen over the course of the next few years for those models affected by the software issue.

I've had a some costly work done for free on my S and some I've paid for. See what happens when the billing is finalized - you still might be pleasantly surprised. I'll be curious to see what happens for your sake. I'd also ask as to what the warranty would be like on the repaired work.

That would be tough, but I would still mention it to the service centre staff - no need to rant on it.
Oh I definitely mentioned it, multiple times. The fact there is no recall or service bulletin for these parts that's applicable to my car means there's nothing they can do. In-warranty it would be a different story - they told me they've replaced lots of heat pumps because of the issues in the last little while so they have the process down to a tee. But for older vehicles like mine, there is no acknowledged issue and therefore nothing they can do.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP