Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FAKE Miles SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I am a bit concerned this morning after spending the day with the battery charged to daily driving which looks like 90%.

I started the day with 211 miles range but I drove no more than 70 miles total in the city. When I got home I was down to 95 miles of range. WTF????

As I was driving throughout the day, I can see that my miles would decrease much more than the actual miles I was driving. Is this normal????? I just got the car on Friday so I'm still trying to figure things out. Is this like a cell phone which says you have 80 percent but it dies in like 3 hours?

Please help and inform me.

Thanks!

Ok, so I am a bit concerned this morning after spending the day with the battery charged to daily driving which looks like 90%.

I started the day with 211 miles range but I drove no more than 70 miles total in the city. When I got home I was down to 95 miles of range. WTF????

As I was driving throughout the day, I can see that my miles would decrease much more than the actual miles I was driving. Is this normal????? I just got the car on Friday so I'm still trying to figure things out. Is this like a cell phone which says you have 80 percent but it dies in like 3 hours?

Thanks!
Most likely a couple of things. First, city driving uses more energy than steady highway driving, at least that's what I've found in my experience. Secondly, you are a new owner. so you might be enjoying the instant torque and acceleration a little too much. I can't say that weather is a factor for you because you live in Miami, but if it ever does get cold there, expect a hit on your mileage then as well.

Welcome to the Tesla family, and I hope you enjoy your car as much as I do!

You're probably driving aggressively, and using the real brakes a lot rather than regen.

You just need to get used to driving the car...

If I drive my BMW at 250km/h a lot it obviously uses more gas than when driving a neat 130km/h. Same with normal acceleration, or flooring it at every stop light.

Most likely a couple of things. First, city driving uses more energy than steady highway driving, at least that's what I've found in my experience. Secondly, you are a new owner. so you might be enjoying the instant torque and acceleration a little too much. I can't say that weather is a factor for you because you live in Miami, but if it ever does get cold there, expect a hit on your mileage then as well.

Welcome to the Tesla family, and I hope you enjoy your car as much as I do!
True with the torque....LOL but really not that much.

I'm going to drive normal all day today and check. Thanks and very excited about joining the Tesla family!!!!

Things like the HVAC running hard to condition the cabin each time you get in can take a toll.
Think I have heard of tires needing some break-in.
You will get better at using regen as you put miles on.
What is the tire pressure?
The car uses some power while parked, more if sentry mode is on.

Reactions: RedModel3
The car starts using extra energy to heat the battery from about 60F on down, and your HVAC settings may have it using energy to warm the cabin, too.

It doesn’t look like that should be a factor if you’re driving around Miami this week, but it would be if you’re a little further north for some reason.

Thanks!
Check your efficiency card, are you over 300Wh/mile? Yes, then you're either driving more aggressively or faster than what the EPA rating test does, or you're running heat, etc.

Is it like a cellphone? Yes, the cellphone test is like the EPA test, it's some average usage level, which is often less than the users' usage level. If you are gaming, that can use alot of juice, and the battery will conk out after a few. Same with the car, if you use it hard, it will conk out sooner than EPA-rated.

Thanks!

Yes, perfectly normal. Your battery does not store "miles" it stores "energy", and the energy required to move the car and get the rated miles is very specific, and does not take into account anything like heating, faster acceleration, etc etc. you will likely not get anywhere near the rated miles until next march or so.

You will NOT be seeing your rated miles tick off at a one for one increment as you drive. its not going to happen in winter anywhere (even in temperate climates like florida and california, let alone anywhere there is actually "real" winter.

TL ; DR version. Perfectly normal, expected, nothing to see there, during short trips or winter driving you will likely see somewhere between 20-40% less than rated range.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H