Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy Flight #2 - Arabsat 6A - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah the Feel The Heat is an awesome experience. But be ready for really long lines getting there from the main KSC complex. They also should give you a bus tour of the area including the runway where the shuttles landed. You get to walk right up onto the runway. Pretty cool.
The last FTH was FH was the first time they did the Atlantis tire stop. Are they doing it again this time?

Agree on the insanely long line!

Reactions: e-FTW
As i said the only disappointing thing - that was a big one for me - was that you literally cannot see the rocket at all from that vantage point when it is sitting on the launch pad. It is completely obscured by the launch pad erector transporter, and the fact that the rocket three boosters are side on means that even after clearing the launch pad, you will only see one booster.

Other locations from the beaches around don't seem to have that problem.

FTH location launch video:

NASA causeway employee viewing area (fantastic location):

Playalinda beach was a great spot last year. The rocket is hidden by smoke on take off but after it clears the pad it’s completely visible. I figure we will probably just go to playalinda for the next few falcon heavy launches. The kids can run around like maniacs on the beach an no one is bothered.

NASA causeway employee viewing area (fantastic location):

Yes, while that does seem like a good vantage point to see the actual rocket, that video was definitely zoomed in several times and that's not the view with the naked eye (or if it was not zoomed in, then that area is surely restricted being so close). And it says "employee viewing area".. so how do mere mortals get access to that area?

Thoughts from a local on traveling to the launch.

I live in Titusville, FL. It is due West of the Kennedy Space Center.

I have only waited in line at a supercharger once. It was after the first Falcon Heavy launch. I waited for the traffic to clear, and drove North to Jacksonville for a meeting. I planned to supercharge, so I hadn't charged. I got to the Orange, FL supercharger, and found every slot full, and 8 people waiting.

Only one of the cars was a model 3. They were rare then. I worry that the situation will be much worse this time, because many more Tesla's are on the road.

I can’t predict how many people will come to this launch. I will say watching the two outside boosters land is really something to see.

We have plenty of level 2 chargers in the area, for any time other that a major launch. It is a zoo here when that happens. Many roads and bridges are closed. People stand on street corners holding up signs. (The end is nigh!) You get the idea.

My suggestions:

1) Charge all the way to full at your last supercharger stop before arriving. I know many people have never charged all the way to full. It’s OK. This is a good time to do it. You want as much charge as possible before getting to the Space Coast area. Use your car to check to see which superchargers have the most open stalls. Orlando is a good bet, since they now have 4 superchargers.

2) We have a number of level 2 chargers. You can find them on the plugshare app. Look for them, but don’t count on them. There aren’t enough for everyone if 1000+ Tesla’s come to the launch. Even if you stay at a hotel with 80 amp chargers, like the Hilton Cocoa Beach, expect a lot of folks to want to share it.

3) If you are staying with friends, go ahead and charge, even if all they have is 15 amp 110 volt. You will get 2 – 6 miles of range per hour, depending on whether you drive a model X, S or 3. For the 3, an overnight charge can add 40 – 60 miles of range. This will not be inconsequential.

4) Plan on where you will watch the launch early if you can. KSC still had tickets, last time I checked. The beach is nice, but all the roads will close very early. The Max Brewer bridge will be a popular place.

5) When you leave, skip the first supercharger on your way out if you can. You know your car will show you how many slots are open at the supercharger.

6) If you do have to wait to charge, relax. Get a bite to eat. Surf the web, just don’t use the cars browser. :) I ended up waiting about an hour. I had sushi at the nearby restaurant.

Gary, great post, thanks. You are smart to plan for crowded Superchargers. When I went to an F9 launch at VAFB almost two years ago, on the way home the Atascadero CA Supercharger had a line of cars waiting to charge that was unprecedented.

I suspect a higher percentage of Tesla owners are SpaceX fans than any other car company owner group!

Reactions: GaryW and e-FTW
Darn, slip: Chris G - NSF on Twitter

BE2A51DD-E42E-43F3-96A2-D4A3FF2C6ED1.jpeg