Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will they not fire the 3 boosters at the same time for the test.. much similar to how an actual launch would be?

They will. The individual engines will be fired in a staggered pattern to avoid improper and damaging vibration. From what I've heard the staggering will all happen in a fraction of a second though. The FH static fire will only be a few seconds because the hold downs cannot withstand any more than that.

They will. The individual engines will be fired in a staggered pattern to avoid improper and damaging vibration. From what I've heard the staggering will all happen in a fraction of a second though. The FH static fire will only be a few seconds because the hold downs cannot withstand any more than that.
Starting to wonder if FH will actually make it through the static fire...
Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Grendal
Starting to wonder if FH will actually make it through the static fire...
Fingers crossed!

With computer/ software monitoring, the systems will autoshutdown the moment anything goes out of range. Although, can't stop a turbopump instantly..
They may do multiple partial ignition tests to validate the structural links.

The FH static fire will only be a few seconds because the hold downs cannot withstand any more than that.

Are the hold downs in the exhaust path? I thought the flame trench was the limiting factor (or am I thinking of 40?).

How did they test Space Shuttle engines? I presume they were no static fire testing in the same sense as they do for F9 in a launch pad vertically, but done in a test facility

Most testing was single engine at Stennis Space Center, there was also a 20 second test fire February 20, 1981 before the first launch of Columbia on April 12th.
(regurgitation of Wikipedia)

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
How did they test Space Shuttle engines? I presume they were no static fire testing in the same sense as they do for F9 in a launch pad vertically, but done in a test facility

Space Shuttle engines were fired before the solid side boosters. The Shuttle engines could be shut off if they read an anomaly. Once the side boosters were lit then the rocket had to launch. I believe there was a number of Space Shuttle launches stopped after the Shuttle engines lit but the boosters had not. Yes. There is a list of incidents here:
Space Shuttle main engine - Wikipedia

Most testing was single engine at Stennis Space Center, there was also a 20 second test fire February 20, 1981 before the first launch of Columbia on April 12th.
(regurgitation of Wikipedia)
There was also MPTA-098, basically the aft end of an orbiter with all three SSMEs used for flight certification testing at Stennis. All the flight orbiters had at least one Flight Readiness Firing on the pad prior to their first flight. Here's a YT link to Challenger's FRF, which actually uncovered a serious issue, a buildup of gaseous hydrogen in the orbiter’s aft compartment. They last a little bit longer than F9 static firings.
SRB tests were (and the ones for SLS's SRB's still are) done at ATK in Promontory, Utah.

Last edited:
While we are deviating a bit towards SRBs.. and with the earlier discussion of hold-down clamps... the Shuttle SRB's were bolted to the platform using 3.5" diameter studs and a "frangible nut" that was split in half by detonation of a pyro charge contained within it at launch time.

Should the nut fail to split and release the SRB, the booster generated enough thrust that it simply snapped the 3.5" stud and lifted off anyway!

Reactions: Mike1080i
While we are deviating a bit towards SRBs.. and with the earlier discussion of hold-down clamps... the Shuttle SRB's were bolted to the platform using 3.5" diameter studs and a "frangible nut" that was split in half by detonation of a pyro charge contained within it at launch time.

Should the nut fail to split and release the SRB, the booster generated enough thrust that it simply snapped the 3.5" stud and lifted off anyway!
My last drifting off topic post on this...
That reminds me, in a earlier thread I mentioned a video that had clips like this, but at the time I couldn't find them on YT. I recently found them. At 6:27 in you can see the nuts do their thing to release the SRBs.
To steer back towards the topic, it would great to see shots with this kind of detail from SpaceX.

My last drifting off topic post on this...
That reminds me, in a earlier thread I mentioned a video that had clips like this, but at the time I couldn't find them on YT. I recently found them. At 6:27 in you can see the nuts do their thing to release the SRBs.
To steer back towards the topic, it would great to see shots with this kind of detail from SpaceX.
Wow, that is a fantastic video! Thanks so much.
Oh my God I am the biggest nerd ever!!
So cool to see the slow-mo!!

DRezf3BU8AASJRT.jpg

DRezf3EVAAAqm2s.jpg

DRezf3DUEAAubA3.jpg

Elon Musk on Twitter

Wow! Finally, we get to see just how incredible the FH is going to look.

Interesting that the grid fins on the center core are painted, those are the old style, and I believe the side cores are the new titanium fins.

Yes, the interconnection pieces seem modest in size, especially at the base.

I want to see better photos of the transport vehicles. Are they locked together in some way? And why is one labeled AFT BOOSTER Y and the other AFT BOOSTER?

Wow! Finally, we get to see just how incredible the FH is going to look.

Interesting that the grid fins on the center core are painted, those are the old style, and I believe the side cores are the new titanium fins.

Yes, the interconnection pieces seem modest in size, especially at the base.

I want to see better photos of the transport vehicles. Are they locked together in some way? And why is one labeled AFT BOOSTER Y and the other AFT BOOSTER?
Looks like the right booster label is covered by the tanks.

Reactions: e-FTW