Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Safety Risks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a serious accident occurs, are falcon wing doors more or less safe than doors on SUVs or vans? If the battery is damaged and the FWD wasn't working, I was wondering what the quickest way to exit would be. We have 3 kids 8 and under and they won't be able to do the manual option. They would probably need to exit through the front doors or the windows.

If a serious accident occurs, are falcon wing doors more or less safe than doors on SUVs or vans? If the battery is damaged and the FWD wasn't working, I was wondering what the quickest way to exit would be. We have 3 kids 8 and under and they won't be able to do the manual option. They would probably need to exit through the front doors or the windows.

Too many variables. Will the kids have the strength and prescence of mind to open up a van door manually?

What if the doors are crushed in a certain way? What if you were rolled over on the side?

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe VAN/SUV death and serious injuries happen from the initial hit or the incremental damage from rolling over.

Model X is a solid car against those two scenarios.

The best defense is a proactive offense which we expect Tesla to get better at with more development time on their sensor and camera systems.

Instant torque gets you out of dangerous situations as well.

So yeah I’ll take the X over a van or suv if I want the safest for my family.

Good points here. If the original doors are fine and operable but not battery access then the falcon wing doors are extremely hard to open. There are youtube videos of people trying to open them with no power. Grown adult men struggle with it.

Good points here. If the original doors are fine and operable but not battery access then the falcon wing doors are extremely hard to open. There are youtube videos of people trying to open them with no power. Grown adult men struggle with it.

Don’t forget the trunk is huge and opens up tall.

Awareness, quick reaction and steadiness is what I stress in my children. I think that will matter more than relying on planning for scenarios where the features of a car may or may not come into play.

Model X is practically a tank for the initial hit and skateboard design keeps it from rolling over.

Reactions: travis010
OPENING THE DOORS WITH OR WITHOUT POWER -- To open the front doors from inside Model X, pull the handle towards you.

OPENING THE FALCON WING DOORS WITHOUT POWER -- Without 12-volt power, the falcon wing doors can only be opened from the inside of the vehicle. Remove the speaker grill from the door and pull the mechanical release cable down and towards the front seat, as shown below. After the latch has released, manually lift up the doors. Model X falcon wing doors are equipped with high tension springs that assist with normal door opening.

Front trunk Interior Emergency Release -- An interior release button inside the front trunk allows a person locked inside to get out.
This release button is active whenever Model X is stationary. Press the interior release button to open the front trunk, then push up on the hood.
Note: The button glows for several hours after a brief exposure to ambient light.

Opening with No Power -- If Model X has no electrical power, you can open the rear trunk from inside. Use the mechanical release cable located on the underside of the liftgate, next to the interior light.
1. Remove the cover by pulling its lower edge very firmly toward you.
2. Pull the cable to release the latch.
3. Push the liftgate open.

Owners manual and first responder - google search.

If the above does not seem like it would work out then first question how other cars/vans work and/or determine if this is too risky then purchase whatever is best for yourself / family. Flipping the lower center of gravity X or S with the heavy battery is highly unlikely compared to other non-ev vehicles.

• Informative
Thanks for clarifing! So, does it mean that it's not possible to open any door from outside if there is no power?
Not sure on the X on the S the handles are supposed to automatically extend when air-bags go off.

Just like other vehicles you can break the glass and reach through from the outside.

Suggest you go read the first responder guides and owners manual.