Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door sensor reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the CA lemon law site.
Buying and Maintaining a Car

The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) the same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

Our new X (midnight silver, built mid March) had this issue on the driver-side falcon wing door. We stopped by the Sunnyvale SC on a sunny day to show them the issue. They got us in for service the next week and replaced the sensor. I'm not sure if they did more but they definitely replaced the sensor as they left the old one in the car. AFAICT this fixed the issue as we haven't seen it again for the last couple weeks with that door. So there's hope at least.

The latest update from SC is that they replaced the sensors (again). Told me they are 99% sure the fault is gone but they are waiting for more sun to come out as it's been cloudy. Called me yesterday that they finally saw what I saw under sitting under the sun (uh yea.. that's what I have been saying).

So their current solution is to add a foam (?) around as it's obviously a heat issue and that they have already replaced the sensors 3 times (what? Isn't that what I've been telling you? Sun? heat? Replacing sensors doesn't help but you still do it every time?). It's cloudy again today so I doubt they can confirm whether their solution works.

The latest update from SC is that they replaced the sensors (again). Told me they are 99% sure the fault is gone but they are waiting for more sun to come out as it's been cloudy. Called me yesterday that they finally saw what I saw under sitting under the sun (uh yea.. that's what I have been saying).

So their current solution is to add a foam (?) around as it's obviously a heat issue and that they have already replaced the sensors 3 times (what? Isn't that what I've been telling you? Sun? heat? Replacing sensors doesn't help but you still do it every time?). It's cloudy again today so I doubt they can confirm whether their solution works.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the foam solution will work. What's your plan if they can't fix it? We have that dilemma right now.

My inventory MX90D was built in 3/16. I've intermittent issues with FWD phantom objects in hot conditions on and off. I also noticed it got much worse after 8.1 update. SC extensively tested and replaced sensor in the right door only. They tested the other door and told me the sensor was fine. It was so weird because I actually brought a video showing abnormal behavior of both doors. When I questioned them I was told issue may not be in the sensor, but several other things. I was also told to submit a "bug report" if this happens again with my left FWD. So far, all is well though.

If they can't fix it I'll ask for a replacement vehicle. If only us Midnight silvers have issue then I'm getting a white.

LOLZ. Good luck with that. At best, you will have to go through lemon law process. If you are successful, they will deduct $$$ for miles already driven and you will have to order new vehicle (no free supercharging, ventilated seats, pay all price increases, etc.).

My SC is still waiting for a firmware update. They said Tesla has fixed the temperature problem (no details), but still has sensor problems unrelated to temperature. The SC says sensor replacements haven't helped. Not a big deal for me until family visits at the end of this month. That'll be fun, and slow.

Well, add me to the list - a white X in sunny FL. I also noticed that my passenger FWD fails to open detecting obstacles and passenger door auto-present does not work. The car has been at the SC for 4 days now - they've replaced the censors but then the issue resurfaced - sounds like sun/heat problem.

I picked up the car today. The SC tech told me how they seem to have fixed it - by adding foam tape around creating a barrier as it's definitely temperature/heat related (not really sure the exact detail). Today, the car was left in the sun all morning and the fault seems to be gone as far as they know.

Finger crossed. I'd rather it's fixed than going through lemon law.

Update: the sensors faulted again today. It's been sitting under a hot sun for few hours without issue. However once I arrived at another place, the door opened fine the first time but not the subsequent times. The door is hot to touch.

Update: the sensors faulted again today. It's been sitting under a hot sun for few hours without issue. However once I arrived at another place, the door opened fine the first time but not the subsequent times. The door is hot to touch.

Are you taking it back again? We had 3 sensor replacement already and it's still not working right. Really not sure what to do next. Deal with it or pull the lemon law trigger.

I have to. I want them to fix it but apparently they just don't a solution for it. It seems like not everyone has this issue so I wonder why. The tech couldn't explain why my other door doesn't have issue either.

I have to. I want them to fix it but apparently they just don't a solution for it. It seems like not everyone has this issue so I wonder why. The tech couldn't explain why my other door doesn't have issue either.

I've seen a post on Tesla forum in which the solution was to replace the entire door skin - numerous sensor replacement did nothing, only the entire door skin replacement solved the issue. It was alleged that there was epoxy between the sensor and the door preventing any replaced sensors to work properly.

Last edited:
Thanks I will bring it up next time. I am in SoCal not Seattle so the car will see plenty of sunlight throughout the rest of the year. I can't live with this annoyance (and potential safety issue) as it also affects my driver door.

So if anyone who has had their sensors replaced they'd have an issue like this? I know my sensors were replaced on my delivery day for that FWD.