Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Doors Refuse to Open, et al

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gnuarm

Model X 100 with 72 amp chargers
I've always had trouble with the rear doors opening properly to their full range in an intermittent manner. I mentioned it as an afterthought the first time I had the car in for repair and a service tech diagnosed a faulty sensor on the driver's side. At that time I didn't know I had a problem on the passenger side as well. I was picking up the car and said I would bring the car back at a later date. Well that turned into a few months.

In the meantime the passenger mirror showed a fault by not folding out in freezing weather. The driver side mirror was fine. The second time I called the 800 number and they connected to the car and found the mirror was not able to respond to any commands at all, essentially the car said, "What mirror? There is no mirror."

Months later in warm weather, I took the car in for multiple repairs and the service center said they didn't find any problems with these two things. They did find the report from the 800 call, but there was nothing in the record about the sensor fault in the rear door. So they wouldn't fix anything. I had some dancing around by email with the service manager who claimed the doors were doing what they should do... meaning I couldn't prove the doors malfunctioned. So I started taking pictures and sent them. He described the process the door uses to avoid bumping things. Seems they detect the nearest part of an object and construct a box next to and another above the door. It then will not make any movement outside these boxes. So if you have an obstruction low, near the door (like another car) even if it has plenty of room above the obstruction, the door won't open into that space. Even so, I've had the door malfunction when no obstructions were around.

Regarding the mirror they said the car is not warrantied against "adverse weather". So in other words, don't drive when the temperature is below freezing.

The other day I took some friends to a restaurant and on returning to the house the rear passenger door would not unlatch at all trapping my friend inside. The car said there was an obstruction. It took me a while to figure out what to do. Holding the button from the inside opened the door. That was very embarrassing. I had a friend with a Delorean and we used to tease him about getting stuck inside when his doors wouldn't open. (that is a great looking car even today!)

The next morning I realized that both rear doors would not unlatch and the rear hatch would not open fully. This is in a spot where there are no obstructions whatsoever. An hour later it was all working normally.

Later that day the passenger mirror did not fold out after visiting a restaurant. I never realized how important that mirror is. It's actually not required in many states, but I depend on it. In true intermittent fashion, later it was working.

I'm taking the car in and will see what they do with it. If they give me the stiff arm again, I will be escalating the problem. I am sick an tired of driving a car that is more prone to malfunction and erratic behavior than a politician.

Phantom obstructions were common in the early days. It's unusual to hear about it now. A sensor replacement should fix it, if done correctly. The problem is worse when the door is in direct sunlight. One symptom is that you can see a red line on the console door display when there is no obstruction.

Of course the sensors do open the doors only part way in enclosed spaces. You found the manual way to force the doors open. It works from the console as well, so your passengers don't have to know.