Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False frontal collision warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone experiencing false fronted collision warning ? I have seen the safety score dropping 2% to 97% today after a warning about frontal collision when there was no car ahead nor any visible objects in the path of driving my model Y. The car was in fsd mode too when it happened. Any comments?

This whole safety score (a HUGE loop hole) thing was created to buy Elon more time to deliver usable FSD before he would be forced to refund the money to the customers. I've just gone past my 2-year ownership mark still with no FSD in sight. I've never felt so conned in my life. I said it before and will say it again. It's the worst $10k I spent on anything, ever, by a galaxy! I could've bought a Rolex GMT II 2 years ago and doubled my investment. It's bulllll~~~~~~ sh~~~~~!t. With that said, I still love my Y. LOL! 😁

Reactions: sunfarm and Jayohee
OMG 2%!!!!!! mine drop about 30%! and yes they are false, like someone turning into your lane even though you are judging the distance perfectly. DING

It's my most frustrating thing on the Safety Score.
Yeah, mine dropped 30% as well. I just queued up for FSD a few days ago so it's all still very new. After two days the scare was 98 then yesterday while just driving along following traffic I got a front collision warning. There was nothing in my way and the car in front of me was a good 2 car lengths away (too close for FSD?). Today I look at the score and it's 66. How long will it take to get it back up to 98 or better?

This whole safety score (a HUGE loop hole) thing was created to buy Elon more time to deliver usable FSD before he would be forced to refund the money to the customers. I've just gone past my 2-year ownership mark still with no FSD in sight. I've never felt so conned in my life. I said it before and will say it again. It's the worst $10k I spent on anything, ever, by a galaxy! I could've bought a Rolex GMT II 2 years ago and doubled my investment. It's bulllll~~~~~~ sh~~~~~!t. With that said, I still love my Y. LOL! 😁
I'm new to this so forgive the stupid questions. Do you not have FSD? My MYLR was delivered in December 2021. I just opted into FSD a few days ago after just being to nervous to try it. Initially I had a 98 safety score but after a false front end collision warning it dropped to 66. Does this mean I'll never get to actually use FSD?

And I 100% agree with the thought that this is a scam. A money grab is what I've called it.

I'm new to this so forgive the stupid questions. Do you not have FSD? My MYLR was delivered in December 2021. I just opted into FSD a few days ago after just being to nervous to try it. Initially I had a 98 safety score but after a false front end collision warning it dropped to 66. Does this mean I'll never get to actually use FSD?

And I 100% agree with the thought that this is a scam. A money grab is what I've called it.
I have FSD and have used it on many occasions but it's currently limited in its capabilities. The "full" FSD that we're all anxious to get includes auto steer on all roads. In short, the car "should" drive you from point A to point B on its own once we get the update.

Yep, I get phantom forward collision warnings regularly in my Model Y. Often it happens on curved residential streets when it misinterprets a parked car as being in my lane, although I've also had tree shadows trigger it on completely empty highways. I'm on the FSD Beta waitlist, so I've been trying to keep my Safety Score up. Usually I try to keep Autopilot engaged so it absorbs the warnings without dinging my score; the irony is that Autopilot is much worse than human driving on city streets. A few days ago it drifted my car lightly against a curb at about 15mph, grinding my passenger-side wheel covers into hamburger. So for now I'm just gritting my teeth through the safety-score period, currently at 97, hoping to get FSD Beta in the next few weeks. Once I get it, I will replace the ground-up wheel covers 😅

I don't get too many false frontal collision warnings but I get "lane departure" and "exiting roadway" warnings somewhat frequently. I ALWAYS use my turn signals. It seems to happen most often on surface streets and/or in areas where the road lines are hard to see. I also get them in parking lots. I'd be upset if my insurance premiums were tied to this.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I don't get too many false frontal collision warnings but I get "lane departure" and "exiting roadway" warnings somewhat frequently. I ALWAYS use my turn signals. It seems to happen most often on surface streets and/or in areas where the road lines are hard to see. I also get them in parking lots. I'd be upset if my insurance premiums were tied to this.
I am in the same boat with all these sensitive warnings for lane departure when I am still within my lane. And recently experienced phantom braking on a long drive.

I don't get it. Elon keeps touting how FSD will prevent dozens of accidents per day.

Why deny it to the people that his system believes are most at risk of accidents?! I'd be very vary of Tesla insurance if I were in a state that let them use their peeping data to rate the driver. (or the devices that the other insurers have also been pushing) The road is far too complicated to do simple scoring metrics. (and I want to do WFO accelerations at times).

Another weird one popped up today while driving on a road that curves around in the neighborhood and lane assist along with brake kicked in. Did not have auto-steer. Just imagine having their insurance score ding me for their *sugar* software

This last version is absolutely horrible. I’m getting them constantly and IMO they are completely unwarranted. Curves with parked cars, when doing under 10 miles an hour, slowing for a dip/hump when a car in front is slowing down too. I’m not only going to slow for the obstacle, but the4 damn car in front of me! Logic here is horrible.

FSD beta 10.69.2.3? Scary! Two unexpected phantom breaking with the car in front of a truck with both going at 65miles per hour on a freeway. This car slows down so unexpectedly to 55. Had to step hard on the accelerating pedal. Thank God the car responded both times before a collision

Tesla's frontal collision warning system is insanely oversensitive. I've driven other cars with similar systems and have never ONCE set off an alert, but it happens almost every day I drive the model Y. None of these warnings have ever helped, but they do freak out people in the car with me. Maybe two of the times, I could have hit something if I floored it, which I wasn't doing. All the other times were complete false positives.

It once highlighted a car two cars in front of me because it thought the passenger was opening their door (at least that's what it looked like on the screen), or it sometimes freaks out about a pedestrian on the sidewalk or a bike on an adjacent bike path. It will spazz out about a car going the same direction as me turning left onto a side street and being well out of my way. I have to drive close to a traffic cone or sign because of construction? Frontal collision alert. I'm not sure what my safety score is, but I definitely won't bother with buying the FSD beta. 🤣

I changed the setting to "Late" and that seems to have helped. I've only had one warning since then, and it was legitimate as a car about one second ahead slammed on the brakes while travelling around 50 km/h and I started reacting at about the same time as I got the alert. I had read that the setting gets reset every time, but it seems to have persisted. This makes it more like other cars that don't generally freak out unless there's actual danger, so I'm good with that.

Anyone experiencing false fronted collision warning ? I have seen the safety score dropping 2% to 97% today after a warning about frontal collision when there was no car ahead nor any visible objects in the path of driving my model Y. The car was in fsd mode too when it happened. Any comments?
False collision warnings when there is nothing in its path twice in January! One red steering wheel alarm with instruction to take over because MY computer couldn’t figure something out! This has not happened in 6 months. Until 25.2 update