Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FAQs regarding reserving Model 3 when it is revealed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think pretty good. Europe has had it's own dedicated signature quota, and the people reserving Model 3's at the event are almost entirely buying North American signatures. But it is possible the European quota would sell out on the first day, so I wouldn't wait too long with ordering.

There's of course also the chance that Tesla increases the number of signatures substantially. We might see them offer 10.000+ signatures, instead of ~1200 NA signatures and ~500 European signatures like they did with the Model X.

Cool, I didn't know this.
But does anyone care to guess what time of the day they might open reservations?
It will probably be a weird time for us in Europe. Since Tesla are based in PST timezone.

Last edited:
For both Model S and Model X there were significant numbers of people who dropped off the Sig list between sign-up and configuration. Even if you end up on the wait list there is a good chance you'll still get a sig if you want one. IIRC if you were on the Sig waitlist they didn't take your money. So if you end up on the waitlist you should also make a general production reservation (and pay for that one). Then if you get a Sig slot you can just pay the difference to move your reservation (at least that was how it worked w/ Model S).

Keep in mind that Sigs are not for everyone. Yes, you get your car first but they have had significant teething issues.

I'm still trying to figure out the advantage of getting a Signature Model 3 other than getting the car a little earlier.
Assuming that the earliest made cars are likely to have the most problems I'd prefer to get an early production order # to get the tax credit and leave the Signatures to others.

I'm still trying to figure out the advantage of getting a Signature Model 3 other than getting the car a little earlier.
Assuming that the earliest made cars are likely to have the most problems I'd prefer to get an early production order # to get the tax credit and leave the Signatures to others.

That... and getting a unique color (if you want it) like sig red.

AND.....

2012-tesla-model-s-signature-gauges.jpg

Attachments

• tesla-powerwall-2015-index-award-winner_designboom_004.jpg
    tesla-powerwall-2015-index-award-winner_designboom_004.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 164
Reservation parties at stores?

I know this would be a little dicey in certain locales because of the States' control on sales, but have they ever done gatherings at stores or service centers (with lobbies) to watch the reveals and take orders?

Model X Sigs had a "sig discount" compared to a productions car of similar options.

I'm surprised that there is so much speculation that there might not be a Signature M3. While I acknowledge it's possible there won't be, seems unlikely to me. Tesla has perfected the model of getting free debt financing from enthusiasts (like us) who are willing to give them deposit money. Tesla was explicit (as they must be) that they used MS and MX deposit money to fund operations (rather than escrow). It's a wonderful model if you can pull it off and they can - why stop now?

I started my relationship with Tesla in June 2015 and since then they have held deposit money (interest free of course) from me every single month! I gave them the deposit on the car itself (June-August) and then Ludy Upgrade (September - now).

They are pros at this and will continue to maximize their free debt financing with the M3 including high ticket sig deposits.

It's a wonderful model if you can pull it off and they can - why stop now?
Question is - does Tesla want to remain "elitist" or do they want to democratize and reach the mass market ?

Musk keeps talking about the need to popularize and get EVs mainstream. If he is serious, he needs to democratize Tesla's ordering process too.

Tesla can have Sig models - but they can't be produced first before the $35k model.

I see two main scenarios. 1) The Model 3 ramp is accompanied by the traditional hiccups, in which case those with signature reservations get to help debug the process. In return, they get a couple of perqs (sig badging, sig red paint option, maybe a small sig discount for a loaded Model 3). Seems like a fair deal for loaning Tesla $20K or so for a couple of years and putting up with some teething pains. 2) Everything goes pretty smoothly, and the production ramp up happens fast. Here, the sigs don't have to do much debugging and they're all cranked out in 2-3 weeks.

In scenario #1, the average consumer is probably less tolerant of the hiccups (I know there will be exceptions, especially on a forum such as this!) and would just as soon avoid them. Maybe there is a 2 month delay until general production starts. In scenario #2, it hardly matters since the delay will be minimal. I'm guessing a lot of the public will want to wait for test drives and a couple magazine reviews anyhow. With some luck, Tesla will be able to crank out enough demo cars quickly.

Either way, this doesn't seem all that "elitist" to me. I don't plan to go for a sig, but I'm happy to see others get the chance. There might be some in the media who try to exploit the "elitist" angle, probably at the behest of the ICE and oil industries, but I think they will be quickly drowned out by positive feedback from actual owners and real journalists. Plus, there's no such thing as bad publicity, or so they say.

ETA: I do think it would be cool if the first cars made were part of a Builders series discounted for Tesla employees, as mentioned before. They would obviously be great at giving feedback on early production issues, and it would be an excellent morale booster. That could either replace or supplement the Sig series.

In scenario #1, the average consumer is probably less tolerant of the hiccups (I know there will be exceptions, especially on a forum such as this!) and would just as soon avoid them.
Just because sigs are expensive, don't make the owners more tolerant or the less expensive base model owners less tolerant. Anyone who rushes to reserve early and buys at first opportunity would be an EV enthusiast and would be reasonably tolerant.

Either way, this doesn't seem all that "elitist" to me. I don't plan to go for a sig, but I'm happy to see others get the chance. There might be some in the media who try to exploit the "elitist" angle, probably at the behest of the ICE and oil industries, but I think they will be quickly drowned out by positive feedback from actual owners and real journalists. Plus, there's no such thing as bad publicity, or so they say.
Perception is everything. "Media" that creates the hype and gives all the free publicity can also pull the rug.

ETA: I do think it would be cool if the first cars made were part of a Builders series discounted for Tesla employees, as mentioned before. They would obviously be great at giving feedback on early production issues, and it would be an excellent morale booster. That could either replace or supplement the Sig series.
Better to call those beta cars and let employees drive them around to get feedback - like all other manufacturers do.

Just because sigs are expensive, don't make the owners more tolerant or the less expensive base model owners less tolerant.

Sure, but that's why I said the average consumer is less tolerant.

Perception is everything. "Media" that creates the hype and gives all the free publicity can also pull the rug.

If the car is as awesome as we all assume/hope, they will have so many orders that this will be irrelevant. Word of mouth from the early owners will get the truth out.

Better to call those beta cars and let employees drive them around to get feedback - like all other manufacturers do.

I don't think Tesla can afford to crank out thousands of beta cars, but it will be hundreds. In any case, there will always be problems in the early production cars, the only question is how many. Clearly there is room for Tesla to improve. Presumably, with the projected volume of the Model 3, they will have more sway with suppliers, and should be able to avoid some of the single source issues like Model X windshield/seats/falcons wing doors.