Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/05/2...eaf-battery-pack-including-how-recharging-sp/
...How you recharge the pack will affect its life. Nissan has said it expects to Leaf drivers to have around 70 to 80 percent capacity left in the pack after ten years. What will get drivers to the upper or lower end of that range? The amount of fast charging one does. With regular Level 2 charging, drivers should expect 80 percent live left in the battery. With a lot of Level 3 charging – two or three times a day – the pack will only be at the 70 percent level. Level 3 charging is appealing because it can get the battery from zero to 80 percent full in under 30 minutes, but there is a very clear drawback if it becomes a habit...

DC Fast Charger joins the ECOtality EV charging station fleet, looks like a fuel pump

dc-fast-charger.jpg

ECOality also announced that they were installing the Blink system in some number (I've forgotten the exact number, but it seems like it was 45) of selected BP and ARCO gas stations in their initial areas of Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington and Tennessee. Not sure I like being able to no longer brag about bypassing gas stations.

The home of this device is the shopping mall, grocery store and Starbucks no?
While level 3 might be fine at those places, I would argue those local type destinations should get much cheaper level 2 (80 Amps would be nice!). Level 3 should be at the rest stops off the highway between cities, where often there is a bathroom, coffee shop, and some food options.

I should also think that these stations should allow you to check their status remotely via smart phone or GPS app. Allow you to schedule the approximate time of your stop and add you to a cue if there is one. Should also let you to check the charge status of your car in real time and alert you if there's a problem, when charging is done, or when your place in the cue changes.

I think we're in agreement, and Level 2 at 70-80A is, I think to be expected even though 30A seems to be the norm today - the wiring cost between 30A and 70A is negligible IMO. As with all charging in the wild the ChargePoint like solution of monitoring and alerts is key.

When I spoke to ChargePoint last year they did say that they envisioned a method of pre-booking charge spots with parking in the city and or allowing a queue mechanism but I don't see that in the app yet. I emphasize 'with parking' as that seems a key draw to me; the knowledge that you'll not have to hunt for a spot and be disappointed.

No, my gripe is that these initial spots appear to be regular ordinary filling stations and to that I ask 'what's the point?' and more cynically, extremely cynically, fast forward two years and BP report that EV's are a flop; "We installed 100 high speed charging points that have simply not been used."

I'm not suggesting pre-meditated 'designed to fail' decisions but simply a lack of thought; they're just looking at cheap location choices and not realistic user experiences.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/10/1...ew-blink-dc-fast-charge-station-will-install/

It is outfitted with two CHAdeMO connectors, but you can't actually send power to two cars at once ... the charger is designed to allow drivers to plug in their car and the system will make sure it charges as soon as possible while they're off doing other things.

The charge station also has smart meter capability, smartphone access and a monstrous 42-inch LCD display.
Sounds pretty good. Not sure Ecotality has it as together as Coulomb, but they have the right idea. In this use case there is typically plenty of parking at a rest stop. The issue is making sure you can get your charge to continue your trip and don't get an unforeseen delay because of others trying to do the same thing. You may find it makes more sense to continue to the next rest stop if it's in your range and you can actually get your charge sooner.

Still want it no where near a gas pump. One commenter makes a good point:

It is the ideal place to demonstrate how g'damn long it takes to charge an EV, compared to an ICE. "Who'd ever want one of those?! And after all that, they only go 100 miles! Ha, what a scam!" BP & Arco customers will smugly drive off, happily missing the whole point of EVs while you sit and breathe their fumes (charging your EV). Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
No kidding. Why would I want to wait and around and charge my vehicle around the fumes. To me it makes more sense either at rest stops or even restaurants or fast food places (even Starbucks). Somewhere that I might stop and take a break for a little bit.
Also seems kinda strange for the charger to look exactly like a gas pump. It seems like they are still latched on to the past.
Rob

While I agree that fast charge points and booking systems are great on major highways, I think we would all be better served by deploying ultra low cost, 'dumb', charge points everywhere.

Just imagine a world in which every restaurant, hotel, store, or whatever, had a 32A (UK) or 50A (US) socket that you could just turn up and use.

In the UK the costs of deploying 32A systems are so low that we can afford to give away large numbers of them. I believe that for every 'smart' charge point that's deployed we can deploy at least five 'dumb' charge points. In return we find that the site owners are prepared to supply free electricity because of the extra business, to say nothing of the 'green' kudos they receive.

Lets not forget that sometimes the simplest solution is the best...

Kevin: I'm not sure the numbers would add up; I understand that a Chargepoint device is $1,100 which is admittedly steep for a 30A socket but, it's rugged, GFI equipped and will keep me informed about the state of my car whilst I dine, e.g. someones kicked out the plug and ChargePoint informed if it's damaged. You're saying that a cheap solution would be ~$250 but I suspect that the gps chip and transceiver amount to less than $100, call it $200 at most.

If the choice where between three flashy chargers at a shopping mall versus 50 simple outlets then I'd be onboard as that's the point where you wouldn't anticipate not finding a charge spot or care much if you left your car there after it'd charged up. Less than that and I welcome the extra tech.... today anyway.

I suspect that the number of people charging away from home in 2020 will be close to zero given that I've never needed to charge away from home in my car in the last year just as I no longer have a phone charger at work.

Kevin: I'm not sure the numbers would add up
Our total installed cost is below £500 per site.. that includes the charge point hardware (with 32A and 13A sockets), cabling, site work, and certification. The charge points are fully protected, metered, and certified. I know that most of the commercial installations in the UK are running at ten times that amount.

I suspect that the number of people charging away from home in 2020 will be close to zero given that I've never needed to charge away from home in my car in the last year just as I no longer have a phone charger at work.
I take your point, but almost all of the EV drivers that I know in the UK charge when away from home (including myself). I cannot see the mass market waiting another ten years before they feel comfortable to travel beyond the limited range of the EV.

I also don't see people waiting for hours at a charging station... but I can see them getting a decent top up every time they stop...

Is it just me or are the currently planned DC chargers and EVSE's too short sighted. Most L2 EVSEs being installed are 30A versions even though the J1772 connector allows for up to 70A. 30A is fine for home charging but public chargers should deliver the full 70A. Same for the L3 DC fast chargers. The Blink DC charger is limited to 50kW which will be fine for the Leaf but when future EVs come out (such as the Model S) it will take up to 1.5 hours to charge the 95 kWh pack to 80%. What's worse is it can only charge one car at a time! For example, you pull in to the station with your Leaf at the same time as someone else. The other person plugs in before you and your 30 minute charge turns into a 1 hour wait. Now let's say it's 2013 and the other person is driving a Model S with a 300 mile pack. He starts charging before you so your 30 minute wait becomes a 2 hour wait!!! Yes this is a worse case scenario, but still possible. EV battery pack capacity will only increase in future generations so why introduce chargers that only meet the current first generation requirements.

From what I’ve read, Tesla is promising a 45 minute charge (to 80%) for the 300 mile pack which would require 100 kW. The CHadeMo DC charging standard is limited to 62.5 kW. Will Tesla be proposing their own competing standard?

It seems as if only Tesla is making a serious effort at developing EVs capable of completely replacing the ICE car. Unfortunately they don’t have sufficient clout to steer the industry in the right direction. (70A L2 EVSE, 100 kW DC chargers)