Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jump-start for the green car future

In_Gear_514480a.jpg

Is the future of motoring electric? Only if a whole new infrastructure of charging points is put in place. Even state-of-the-art batteries need to be topped up after a hundred or so miles of travel, so unless every journey begins and ends at home, the electric equivalent of a network of filling stations is required. Evoasis, an American company, plans to build exactly that.

Evoasis’s designs feature off-street bays for up to 24 cars to recharge at the same time, with electricity supplied not in the 220-volt form accepted by most current models of electric vehicle, but at up to 440 volts — powerful enough to charge a suitably adapted car in about 20 minutes.

Because of the dangers involved with such high voltages, the recharge would be performed by station staff. Each station would maintain a “tack room” of cables to ensure that every make of electric car could be catered for (to get a glimpse of the potential chaos waiting in the future, just think of the jumble of mobile phone chargers and connectors).

I sense a bit of reason in their technical plan but I'm not sure about financial side of it. Would you rather go to them and buy their expensive electricity or drop by a frend and charge from his home outlet and buy him a beer?

Charging facilities only make sense as a part of bigger economic activity like stores, cinemas etc where the point is to do something else and charging is only a nice addition or added value to the whole service. Here charging would be at same price as home electricity as part of the price would be in the cost of main service. I'm not sure a coffy shop is enough for such main service.

I agree. London may have a large population density, but the centre of a big city is not where I would expect there to be a great demand for this type of station. They are expecting a model where people drive in from surrounding towns and suburbs, do their shopping or whatever and then go to the charging station for the trip back. That has two issues: firstly as you say people can charge at the service they are going to use and secondly people don't tend to drive into central London for this type of service - those that live outside the city will tend to go to an out of town location and those living in the middle will probably have enough range to go there and back and charge at home.

I see more use for this type of station on the motorways/highways when the long-distance EV fleet is large enough, but even then it will have to be offered by or in conjunction with the existing service station operators.

Moderators note: This and following McDonalds posts moved from the Model S Specs thread.

The problem with charging a 70kWh pack at 400V in 45 minutes is that it takes 233Amps! That requires wires (at least two) about half an inch (0.4"; 10mm) thick! And that's from the power company all the way to your home, your garage and into your car. At 90% efficiency you have to "cool away" 10kW for the duration of the charge. I could heat my entire house with that!

In America we run very high voltages to reduce wire size and power losses (100,000's of volts). The 480 volts is from-step down transformers that you probably have seen when you drive on the road where those tall wood poles with round looking cylinders (the transformers) taping in the wires above them. In America the 7,200 volts 3-phase lines coming from the substations that have been step down from 250,000 volts is tapped with 3 transformers that are configured either Wye or Delta configuration 3-phase. Above ground service of 480v 3-phase is available up to 600 amps from the transformers to the building and 480v 3-phase is available up to 3,000 amps below ground service from ground transformers (they are in large green enclosures) to the building. So the claim of 45 minute recharge time seems plausible, the only problem is 3-phase power is very expensive to have ran to a residential area!!!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I walk out to the planes at Burbank airport I check out these chargers next to the building windows. They are for charging the various airport utility vehicles.

CIMG6294.jpg

The cables are thick. Close to two inches. The counterweight swing/arm helps with the weight and the connectors are plugged in by men and women workers on the tarmac.

The label on the back says Posicharge Specializing in fast Rapid charge. They charge as much as 500AMPs

These and AeroEnviroment are the ones to bring up when people are in doubt cry about how "fast charging can't possibly work!"

I've only heard of McD's plans on outfitting this Cary, NC, location. My hopes are low, considering the cost and the number of McD's customers that would actually benefit from this...

Yeah, it's likely wishful thinking that they will roll them out in the near term to most of their locations. I can't imagine there will be enough electric cars for it to be even worthwhile for a few years. It is something that would make them stand out from other fast-food chains and would be more of an advertisement than anything.