Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast EV Lightning Run - Canada's First Coast-To-Coast Nonstop EV Run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

PRESS RELEASE: FAST EV LIGHTNING RUN - Tesla Owners Online

Tesla owners @Trev Page and @Mad Hungarian Ian Pavelko will be starting an EV cannonball run from Tsawwassen BC on February 23rd, aiming to do a road trip across Canada as fast as possible with Ian’s Model 3. They are planning to make it a 3-day goal, which I doubt they will achieve, even in an optimistic tone. I’m wondering why they didn’t think of doing this in the Spring or Summer, lol. Anyway, I wish them the best of luck on their trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, ambitious to say the least. That's close to 6,000 km of driving in 3 days. Even if you never had to stop and charge that would need to be 72 hours of straight driving at an average speed of 83 km/h.

Obviously they would need to stop and charge...assuming a long range model 3 and to optimize charging time they won't want to go much beyond 80% SOC, so let's even just say they go 0-80% on every charge perfectly, and get 80% of rated range, that would give about 320km real distance between charges. So they would need to stop around 18 times to charge.

Let's assume for fun that it was 45 min per stop, and they do all bathroom and eating during that time. That means 13.5 hours spent charging, which leaves 58.5 hours to do the trip. That then means they need to average a speed of 103 km/h for basically 60 hours of driving.

It's not completely impossible, but about as close as you can get. Everything has to go their way and they will definitely need to be speeding a fair bit whenever possible to make up for lost time navigating to superchargers and inevitable traffic jams.

Winter vs Summer range as well
Range isn't really affected if the battery doesn't get cold soaked and since they will be running continuously that won't be a problem. Snow, rain, or headwinds could affect range but they are travelling with prevailing winds so theoretically they will get an advantage from wind.

Also, they are smart so I'm sure they brought jackets and blankets to minimize heater use.

This will be a fun one to watch, Godspeed.

Reactions: akidesir
Let's assume for fun that it was 45 min per stop,.

Most of my stops on 1200 mile days are not more than 30 minutes. Many are 18-25. There are several people on this forum that drive 1000 mile days no problem. I have never had a 45 minute stop when I am trying for distance. Really have to understand the taper of the battery charging, and make sure your car can still accept those high rates of charge in factoring. Does average road tripper have to worry about this? Heck no. Enjoy that lunch if it fits you so. While of course being respectful of charger usage.

Canada. This time of year, and certain provinces will make life a little harder. 3 days is very optimistic in spite of a dual team.

Good luck.

Oh and by the way. Maple Creek SK is down with no ETA per Tesla. Called last night.

Yeah, the FULL Trans Canada. Horseshoe Bay would be more appropriate, at least it is on the TCH.. A lot more difficult due to the lack of SuC in PEI & NFL. Photos of Mile 1 and Mile 0.

I figure they will require at least 4 days just Coast 2 Coast. There may be a lot more trucks running in Northern Ontario due to the blockades, but the Tesla has the ability to pass very rapidly.
Good luck to all involved