Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faster Stops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd think vehicle stability control would make that a non-issue. I haven't had mine through a winter yet, but other cars with VSC are totally solid in that kind of situation.

I certainly hope so. The vehicle I had the accident in did have TC and VSC, but it was a "top heavy" SUV. The instant the transmission downshifted, I was sideways. If the VSC was trying to do something, the road must have just been too slippery for any effect. When I hit "dry" pavement sideways at about 50 MPH, I actually tore two tires right off the rims. For some reason, I had the car in RWD mode instead of AWD mode (roads looked dry and I didn't realize there would be black ice). In retrospect, I'm lucky the vehicle didn't roll, and that there was no oncoming traffic because I ended up in the opposite ditch. This experience is was has me a little skittish about the regen feature in winter.

I certainly hope so. The vehicle I had the accident in did have TC and VSC, but it was a "top heavy" SUV.

I'd suggest that a possible problem here is that many of the tires for SUVs are M-S with the emphasis on M. I had a similar scary experience where control just didn't happen. I was only going 5 mph downhill and went through a stop sign because the tires just wouldn't do anything. I got really lucky because I entered the roadway between two cars and didn't hit either one. After more winter-friendly tires were installed I never had a problem.

I certainly hope so. The vehicle I had the accident in did have TC and VSC, but it was a "top heavy" SUV. The instant the transmission downshifted, I was sideways. If the VSC was trying to do something, the road must have just been too slippery for any effect. When I hit "dry" pavement sideways at about 50 MPH, I actually tore two tires right off the rims. For some reason, I had the car in RWD mode instead of AWD mode (roads looked dry and I didn't realize there would be black ice). In retrospect, I'm lucky the vehicle didn't roll, and that there was no oncoming traffic because I ended up in the opposite ditch. This experience is was has me a little skittish about the regen feature in winter.

I think Model X would be perfect in the situation of slippery road. You would have electric AWD (two engines one for the front wheels and ond one for the rear wheels) together with ESC tuned for electric AWD (which in my opinion is different with respect to ESC for electric RWD). Of course winter tires always compulsory for slippery road.

Really? That's good to know. I'm used to seeing a bit of a drop in range/mpg whenever I flip the winter tires on on my other vehicles.
Well, you will get a loss in range because of the cold weather.

Also, I've talked with somebody who drove using performance tires (21") in snow and the main trick was setting the regen to low. The normal regen was too much braking for the summer tires in the winter. I suspect low regen is a good idea in general for the snow.