Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to gain more confidence using FSD on a 45mph road, one lane in each direction. My question is, do you feel confident that after the car goes forward it will stop? I would apply the brakes or remove my foot from the accelerator before FSD stops the car. It seems nerve wracking. Just looking for opinions, do you rely on FSD in traffic and are you confident the car will stop in time?

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
I don't have FSD but several years with EAP and I often use EAP in stop-and-go traffic, It works very well and really reduces the stress of being stuck. If you don't think it stops early enough, you can increase the following distance using the right-hand scroll wheel.

Adjusting the Following Distance​

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model 3 and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right.

Image showing a zoombox going to the right scroll wheel with arrows going left and right on the scroll wheel.
Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you. Autopilot retains your setting until you change it again.

As you adjust the following distance, the touchscreen displays the current setting.

Screenshot of two cars with a measurement between them and the number 3.

I don't have FSD......
Obviously since this info is incorrect.

With the right buttons you can select Assertive, Average and Chill. You can also select Minimal Lane Changes.

They are also available in the Menu.

IMG_2737.jpeg

Last edited:
I use FSD quite a bit on a two lane roads. It does take some getting used to and sometimes it can feel quite unnerving. However, I've used it for the past few years and I'm completely comfortable with it. My advice is to trust it and avoid the urge to make the car drive like you want it. FSD has it's own "personality" and it doesn't drive the way I do but it does the job quite well. Scary at first but the more you use it, the more trust you'll develop in it.

It can't/doesn't handle every situation but you'll quickly learn what it can and can't do. I know various scenarios and places on my route where I don't like how it handles them. I turn of FSD, drive through those, then turn it back on. You'll learn those yourself the more you use it.

One thing I've learned about using FSDb on small roads - I never, ever, ever, trust it.
I've had too many times where it starts to change lanes while even before the first signal blinks. Sometimes it doesn't even blink, it just gives the FSD warning tone and starts shifting into a different lane - and that's with reduced lane changes.
If you don't watch it like a hawk and be ready to take over immediately you will join the ranks of folks complaining how "FSD" curbed their nice wheels or scared their passengers etc etc.
Sometimes it is sublime, but other times it is less so.
How good you think it is depends on your personal preferences.

Yep, it all depends how one feels about upsetting others on the roads, dawdling at intersections/stop signs, experiencing oh $h!t moments, have tolerant passengers. ... Some FSD owners use it less than expected, only enable when traffic is light, or for open roadways.

I’ve used all the variations of AP since 2016 on all kinds of roads and failing to stop has never been an issue.

No. There is no shortage of youtube videos to the contrary involving fully UI rendered stop signs, school bus stop signs, road closures, wrecklessly pulling into oncoming traffic. Remaining safety issues requires the driver to keep a tight leash on FSD.

I construe the original question in this thread to be regarding the "stop" part of stop-and-go traffic, and specifically as to whether we find current FSDb trustworthy in actually stopping.

My personal experience over 15 months of FSDb on this narrow question is unambiguous. It has always stopped safely before it would reach the vehicle ahead, and though I did not much like the rhythm of it in the 15-month ago software, the choices for acceleration and braking profile and timing have greatly approved. I actually find it not only reliable but pleasant in performing this function in recent versions.

This is a narrow answer to what I believe was the actual question raised, not a comprehensive approval of everything FSDb does.

Trying to gain more confidence using FSD on a 45mph road, one lane in each direction. My question is, do you feel confident that after the car goes forward it will stop? I would apply the brakes or remove my foot from the accelerator before FSD stops the car. It seems nerve wracking. Just looking for opinions, do you rely on FSD in traffic and are you confident the car will stop in time?
I use FSDb every day (both highway and city) and I don't even think about it stopping anymore. In high speed situations, stop and go, you name it. It's never failed me stopping in time for traffic ahead. And 90% of the time it is smooth and comfortable.

The only issue can be when it occasionally stops *too* suddenly (not smoothly) causing a risk for rear ending. But in my experience, this only happens during rapid slowdowns, being cut off by someone, etc. Which is why you still need to be attentive.

I use FSDb every day (both highway and city) and I don't even think about it stopping anymore. In high speed situations, stop and go, you name it. It's never failed me stopping in time for traffic ahead. And 90% of the time it is smooth and comfortable.

The only issue can be when it occasionally stops *too* suddenly (not smoothly) causing a risk for rear ending. But in my experience, this only happens during rapid slowdowns, being cut off by someone, etc. Which is why you still need to be attentive.
Same. Use it on Every trip and stop n go traffic I never have a concern. Observant yes but concern no. In general it keeps pace nicely and regarding the occasional decel to quick I find that using a Reasonable speed setting that decel is much smoother. Meaning, if the speed limit is 35 I avoid maintaining an override of 48 which tends to confuse the velocity. I set it at 35 (or the posted limit) and all is very smooth.

Reactions: hawkin94
I've been using AP/FSDb for 7 years now. Everything from AP1, AP2.5, AP3 and even AP4. With AP1, I wouldn't trust it to stop if I was going over 35MPH and approaching stopped traffic due to its limited range of visibility. AP2.5-4 I've only let it stop when going 45MPH or under when approaching stopped traffic. With FSDb on AP3, I've done 55MPH with it stopping with no issues.

But regardless, with any solution so far from Tesla, normal stop/go traffic has never been a concern. Never once came close to hitting the car in front. In fact, with the non-radar based systems, I frequently find myself pressing the accelerator more to get the car to match the speed of the car in front in a timely manor.

No. There is no shortage of youtube videos to the contrary involving fully UI rendered stop signs, school bus stop signs, road closures, wrecklessly pulling into oncoming traffic. Remaining safety issues requires the driver to keep a tight leash on FSD.
The OP was asking about stopping in stop and go traffic, so I assumed they meant stopping for other cars, and that’s what I was referring to. I agree that FSD Beta doesn’t reliably stop for stop signs etc., but I’ve never worried about hitting another car by failing to stop in time.

Reactions: derotam
The OP was asking about stopping in stop and go traffic, so I assumed they meant stopping for other cars, and that’s what I was referring to. I agree that FSD Beta doesn’t reliably stop for stop signs etc., but I’ve never worried about hitting another car by failing to stop in time.

Just keeping it real here. It WILL eventually fail to stop in time. Challenging scenarios are hard brakes, chain reaction stops, last second cut-ins, FSD initiated lane changes, ... It doesn't matter if it's a freeway or surface streets.

At the 1:30 mark:

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
I don't have FSD but several years with EAP and I often use EAP in stop-and-go traffic, It works very well and really reduces the stress of being stuck. If you don't think it stops early enough, you can increase the following distance using the right-hand scroll wheel.

Adjusting the Following Distance​

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model 3 and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right.

Image showing a zoombox going to the right scroll wheel with arrows going left and right on the scroll wheel.
Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you. Autopilot retains your setting until you change it again.

As you adjust the following distance, the touchscreen displays the current setting.

Screenshot of two cars with a measurement between them and the number 3.
I was delighted to make the same discovery with auto steer yesterday in an hour's worth of 0-5 mile stop and go four lane freeway traffic. It was nearly flawless and better than I would have done, with one exception. When passed by a road splitting motorcyclist on the passenger side, my 2023 LRY stopped.

Just keeping it real here. It WILL eventually fail to stop in time. Challenging scenarios are hard brakes, chain reaction stops, last second cut-ins, FSD initiated lane changes, ... It doesn't matter if it's a freeway or surface streets.

At the 1:30 mark:

100% guaranteed it will eventually fail to stop in time.

There will always be edge cases that FSD Beta cannot predict properly. There are some humans that would end up in a collision in a similar situation. My point is that if we fixate on these cases, and demand that FSD Beta is flawless (0 collisions), we will always be disappointed. The goal is to have less collisions than humans do, and cause less death than humans do. But make no mistake - FSD Beta will cause collisions, and will cause deaths.

Reactions: JB47394
FSD Beta will cause collisions, and will cause deaths.
What's a scenario that you expect FSDb to cause an accident, as opposed to fail to avoid?

That video shows FSDb pulling in tight behind another car. That could have caused an accident. But that's also a dumb thing for the car to do. It's a simple control bug that I hope V12 won't duplicate. So when FSDb has reached its limits with Hardware 3, what sorts of accidents will it cause?