Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's a scenario that you expect FSDb to cause an accident, as opposed to fail to avoid?

That video shows FSDb pulling in tight behind another car. That could have caused an accident. But that's also a dumb thing for the car to do. It's a simple control bug that I hope V12 won't duplicate. So when FSDb has reached its limits with Hardware 3, what sorts of accidents will it cause?
The system attempts to predict what other cars will do, and plan accordingly. It sometimes gets that wrong, leading to phantom braking. The flip can occur, where the system doesn't correctly predict another car's intention and makes an incorrect move leading to an interaction. Or a failure of navigation due to an imprecise GPS location causes the car to turn prematurely, hitting a curb. Training will help, but can't completely eliminate failure.

100% guaranteed it will eventually fail to stop in time.

There will always be edge cases that FSD Beta cannot predict properly. There are some humans that would end up in a collision in a similar situation. My point is that if we fixate on these cases, and demand that FSD Beta is flawless (0 collisions), we will always be disappointed. The goal is to have less collisions than humans do, and cause less death than humans do. But make no mistake - FSD Beta will cause collisions, and will cause deaths.
For sure goals are one thing and, in this case, reality another.

I didn't want to sit aside and see this thread go down the path of suggesting there's nothing to worry about with stop/go type driving. For now it's eyes and hands on and be ready for something to hit the proverbial fan.

Reactions: jsmay311
For Stop and Go traffic. Use you right scroll wheel to change the Max speed. Usually, if you see traffic slowed down far ahead. Scroll down your speed so that the car can stop not as sudden and give you a safer feel. This also help prevent the car try to change lane. When the car stopped, also try to scroll down the Max speed so that the acceleration will be more gradual when the traffic start moving. This will tame down the powerfully acceleration of the Tesla in Stop and Go traffic.

For sure goals are one thing and, in this case, reality another.

I didn't want to sit aside and see this thread go down the path of suggesting there's nothing to worry about with stop/go type driving. For now it's eyes and hands on and be ready for something to hit the proverbial fan.
While I agree with your perspective it really doesn’t fit the OP’s inquiry of single lane with FSD. He didn’t inquire about beta, lane changes, or multi lane travel. For stop and go I still find it very confident and within the OP’s parameters. FSDb is a different type of confidence and commitment.

While I agree with your perspective it really doesn’t fit the OP’s inquiry of single lane with FSD. He didn’t inquire about beta, lane changes, or multi lane travel. For stop and go I still find it very confident and within the OP’s parameters. FSDb is a different type of confidence and commitment.

I didn't realize it was that easy. I'm gonna slice and dice the scope until V11.4.7 is a robotaxis service. This should be a Doonesbury cartoon. :)

Yelobird, you are correct, I use a single land many times a day and it's often stop & go. I don't usually use FSD in this situation as I'm nervous about the car stopping in time. But based on your reply and others, I will try not to hit the brake so fast. Thanks.

Reactions: Yelobird