Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite and Least Favorite Feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Favorite: FWD solely for being able to take the kids out of the 2nd and 3rd row without hitting their heads on the top of the car. My kids always fall asleep on the drive home from grandma's so it's nice to move them right from the car to their beds.

Least: closing Frunk. I hate having to take all the crap out and setting it in the floor just to use both hands to close.

I fully agree about the closing the frunk with 2 hands thing.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Thanks for the responses. I have to say, it's telling to me that my wife and I are the only ones massively annoyed by the doors. Apparently we're in the minority, and I have to admit that I'm surprised by that. However, it's a pleasant surprise because it means good things for this model continuing to be part of the product stream.

Do you find them at least being useful?

When we go out, especially when picking up our kiddo from daycare, people for some reason love to park right up next to us. The FWDs have performed flawlessly and I've gotten in/out in tight spaces which normally would be a no go with other cars.

Do you find them at least being useful?

When we go out, especially when picking up our kiddo from daycare, people for some reason love to park right up next to us. The FWDs have performed flawlessly and I've gotten in/out in tight spaces which normally would be a no go with other cars.
Ours have hit numerous things - a street sign, shelves in my garage, the overhead garage door on a number of occasions. I've never had any trouble getting out of my Model S, even in tight spots. We're a thin family. Were you unable to get out of your driver's door when these people parked so closely to you? ;)

Maybe my issue is because we have kids, so we use the back doors all the time, and load the car in our garage. This means that we deal with constrained door opening regularly, and I often have to duck under the canopy to go unplug the car and duck back to slide into the driver's seat. Also, our kids are old enough to buckle/unbuckle themselves, so it doesn't help us as far as leaning into the car and headspace. My mom and my father-in-law both have trouble getting into the back seat because there's nothing to hold onto when climbing up. Usually you at least have the roof to grab. In fact, my father-in-law can't make it back there, so he sits in the front passenger seat exclusively. We have a 6-seater and when we load kids into the third row (it's always kids back there), they just duck in and climb through between the middle row seats.

A fellow Model S owner brought up a new complaint to me the other night. He said he finds it "kind of gross" when he sees someone open their X door and you can see the whole person and "all their junk" in plain view. That one cracked me up.

I think I mentioned this before, but the only useful thing I've found so far is that they do a great job of airing the car out when it's hot. Given that I can use the app to cool the car off, this isn't a huge perk for me.

Ours have hit numerous things - a street sign, shelves in my garage, the overhead garage door on a number of occasions. I've never had any trouble getting out of my Model S, even in tight spots. We're a thin family. Were you unable to get out of your driver's door when these people parked so closely to you? ;)

Maybe my issue is because we have kids, so we use the back doors all the time, and load the car in our garage. This means that we deal with constrained door opening regularly, and I often have to duck under the canopy to go unplug the car and duck back to slide into the driver's seat. Also, our kids are old enough to buckle/unbuckle themselves, so it doesn't help us as far as leaning into the car and headspace. My mom and my father-in-law both have trouble getting into the back seat because there's nothing to hold onto when climbing up. Usually you at least have the roof to grab. In fact, my father-in-law can't make it back there, so he sits in the front passenger seat exclusively. We have a 6-seater and when we load kids into the third row (it's always kids back there), they just duck in and climb through between the middle row seats.

A fellow Model S owner brought up a new complaint to me the other night. He said he finds it "kind of gross" when he sees someone open their X door and you can see the whole person and "all their junk" in plain view. That one cracked me up.

I think I mentioned this before, but the only useful thing I've found so far is that they do a great job of airing the car out when it's hot. Given that I can use the app to cool the car off, this isn't a huge perk for me.

Interesting. Usually we come back to the other cars very close, while it's possible for us to squeeze into the car, the FWDs have actually been able to allow us the room to get a carseat in. Even out in a few occasions. This is something I couldn't do in out old Q7 or RRS.

We use the FWD multiple times a day and I'm able to set the open to full option in my garage, after allowing it to open fully at our home it has saved my back a lot from having to duck down. The only issue I have with it and getting people into the back is when there is a car seat, since this pretty much makes the seat moving forward useless. Luckily we thought of this and opted for the six seater. I agree though there should be a handle or something to make it easier.

Usually we come back to the other cars very close, while it's possible for us to squeeze into the car, the FWDs have actually been able to allow us the room to get a carseat in. Even out in a few occasions.
I find that completely reasonable. Taking those <expletive> things in and out of any car is already a big enough pain - having the ability to move them unencumbered is a real benefit, if you do that.

We use the FWD multiple times a day and I'm able to set the open to full option in my garage, after allowing it to open fully at our home it has saved my back a lot from having to duck down. The only issue I have with it and getting people into the back is when there is a car seat, since this pretty much makes the seat moving forward useless.
Interesting comment. On my test drive I found that the seats moving forward and tilting down combined with the headroom of the FWD made ingress/egress from the third row with child seats in the second row pretty easy. Certainly easier than my current 3-row car. It's so hard in my current car that I removed the center console from the second row so that people can reasonably move back there.

Favorite: Auto-present and auto-closing doors. Driving husband's S today and super annoyed that I have to open and close my door. :)

I also really like the well behind the third row. I can fit a bunch of grocery bags down there, put the lid down, and then put another row of bags on top. Feels like I have more space than behind my third row in my Acura MDX, which I did not expect to have.

Least favorite: Falcon wing doors. Mainly I think because my X is new and I am paranoid that they are going to malfunction. Also fear that I am going to crush a kid while closing them. I think that this will change over time.

Reactions: ModelX
I know there is some reg/law preventing this, hopefully that changes soon.
I am not certain but I think the law pertains to the safety catch. ie the hood cannot open inadvertently. So if you closed it beyond the safety catch, and the car latched it the rest of the way (kind of like the doors on the Model X close the last in or so), I would think that would pass.

Opening is a whole other can of worms.

Too many favs too list
1. Comfort of front and second row seats (way better than my S) and smooth ride
2. Space / deep well for storage
3. Towing / hitch mounted accessories
4. Autopilot
5. Windshield
6. Fwd are awesome, updates have made them even better,

Least fav
1. Third row is tight and requires careful adjustment of second row to make it tolerable.
2. Frunk manual close

I am debating trading S for 3. Wife drives x.

I am not certain but I think the law pertains to the safety catch. ie the hood cannot open inadvertently. So if you closed it beyond the safety catch, and the car latched it the rest of the way (kind of like the doors on the Model X close the last in or so), I would think that would pass.

Opening is a whole other can of worms.

Yes that is my impression as well. I'm less concerned with power opening, but latching/sucking down the last bit to close is what I really want. Pushing the frunk closed is always awkward, especially when I have my hands full.

Pro: Never needing to pump gas for a sporty crossover that seats six.
Con: Windshield glair. There must be a better (non-reflective) coating that can be applied to the climate-control speaker-grill that spans the full width of the windshield.
JbnXKAk.jpg

Favorites

1. Windshield
2. Powered doors are amazing - get the whole family in and close all. When we get to our destination touchscreen open passenger + back right falcon wing door.
3. Brake to hold - I reach back to find things or relax my foot at stop lights and not having to put it in park or hold the brake is awesome.
4. No need to turn car on or off
5. Front of the car / headlights at night
6. Instant torque!

Dislikes

1. Touch screen feels slow since modern phones / tablets are several generations ahead
2. Front doors don't open with fob press
3. Manual frunk
4. 8.0 fixed this but used to have to manually unlock the car to remove the charger.
5. It's a little large

So many things I love about this car. I actually had to sit and think hard about things I don't like because nothing just sprung to mind.