Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request - ❤️ Universal Favorites Bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
Several functions are buried within menus which can be distracting to access while driving.
For example:
I really like using the heated steering wheel function.
I was thinking how great it would be if it was down there with my heated seat button in the climate controls.
Although buttons on the bottom of the screen tend to be less accessible than buttons near the top of the screen in terms of taking my eyes off the road.
So my idea is to have a bar on the top of the screen similar to favorites bars like those you see in web browsers. It could drop down when you press a ❤️ (heart) icon.
Then make it possible for any function to be added to that bar (Including favorite destinations contacts and music selections)
This could be accomplished with a ❤️➕ (heart+) icon next to functions in the interface to allow them to be added to the favorites bar.
Also, allow the favorites bar to be edited in such a way that functions could be resorted/arranged and renamed.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Of course, that assumes icons would be visible at the top of the screen. (Most) icons in the icon bar are normally not visible while driving; you have to press on the map, wait for the bar to appear, and then click on the icon you wanted. Talk about being distracting to access! :eek:

But I do agree with the idea that functions which are used frequently should be easier to access. I often wish there were more than just two user-configurable buttons on the steering wheel...

The 8.0 user interface "improvements" appeared to be focused primarily on improving the appearance of the user interface, and not the usability of the interface. Some operations that were easy to do before 8.0, require more interactions now.

For example, you used to be able to change the media player source from the right steering wheel button. That was removed in 8.0. And, if you don't have the media player displayed all of the time on the console, to change sources requires touching the screen once to bring up the menu bar (since it's now auto-hidden), then select the media player, and then select the source.

And, if you want to switch from any source to USB, you now also have to manually select a song, since the media player no longer resumes from the last song played after changing sources.

There are other areas that the 8.0 "improvements" were less usable - such as the initial removal of the first letter scroll bar (which was quickly restored) and removing the XM radio station slider (which is compounded by the year-old bug that prevents the media player from displaying the XM station list).

So while some of the suggestions could be an improvement - so far, Tesla seems more interested in how the interface looks - than in optimizing it.

Tesla promised to provide more user interface customizations - 8.0 didn't provide that, maybe we'll see some real usability improvements in 9.0...

I like the idea of being able to group most frequently used features in a user menu or screen. Though it’d be even better if there was some ML or AI to pick up on feature use and suggest additions.

No more ‘real’ buttons in the cabin please. Lack of button clutter is one of the features that made the model S yet more appealing than a new MB or Audi.

No more ‘real’ buttons in the cabin please. Lack of button clutter is one of the features that made the model S yet more appealing than a new MB or Audi.

I have to disagree with the "no more real buttons" thought, just my opinion...
I miss my audio volume knob, cranking up the volume with a little wheel is somehow not very satisfying. That's the only button/knob I want. ;)

I have to disagree with the "no more real buttons" thought, just my opinion...
I miss my audio volume knob, cranking up the volume with a little wheel is somehow not very satisfying. That's the only button/knob I want. ;)
I want that knob too, and I want it to have an "Off" position that the car cannot arbitrarily decide to override just because I closed the door and opened it again. Please!

Several functions are buried within menus which can be distracting to access while driving.
For example:
I was thinking how great it would be if it was down there with my heated seat button in the climate controls.
In terms of the heated steering wheel - it should be persistent like the heated drivers seat. I want to turn it on in November and leave it on until April - there should be no need to turn it on every time you drive the car.

For example:
Although buttons on the bottom of the screen tend to be less accessible than buttons near the top of the screen in terms of taking my eyes off the road.
So my idea is to have a bar on the top of the screen similar to favorites bars like those you see in web browsers. It could drop down when you press a ❤️ (heart) icon.
Then make it possible for any function to be added to that bar (Including favorite destinations contacts and music selections)
This could be accomplished with a ❤️➕ (heart+) icon next to functions in the interface to allow them to be added to the favorites bar.
Also, allow the favorites bar to be edited in such a way that functions could be resorted/arranged and renamed.
On the day I started this thread I sent a feature request to Tesla.
Kind of shocked this morning when I got this email from Tesla customer support:

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support with your suggestion about a Universal Favorites Bar on your touchscreen. We appreciate your feedback, and will forward it to our Feature Request team for consideration in future updates. We cannot promise that this feature will be available, but our team reviews every customer request seriously. Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).