TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Feature request for walk away lock - configurable horn tweet

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by MarkBrokeIt, Jun 3, 2018.

1. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I just want the ability to have the car automatically lock itself everywhere except when I'm home.

• Like x 1
  2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Me too. Maybe when they finally enable wifi they can tie it to that. When the car connects to your home wifi you have the option of keeping it unlocked. (needs to be optional for folks who park outside, obviously)

3. dswansonsb

dswansonsb Member

For homelink users it should be easy to use the operating of the garage door along with GPS to know you are home in your garage.

4. Thierry

Thierry Member

Good idea for me.
    But not for my wife who locks his car when it is in the garage of the house :)

5. daniel

daniel Active Member

This thread raises an issue I've complained about before: When I park at the grocery store and walk away, the car does not lock while I am in view of it due to the other cars in the lot. One of these days someone's going to get their car stolen by someone who jumps inside before the owner has been gone long enough for it to lock. (I don't know if the car can be driven when the phone is not in it, but your belongings could be stolen.)

That's another advantage of a fob: You get a lock button. With the phone app you have to pull out the phone, unlock the phone, launch the app, find the lock button and press it. With the Prius you just press the button on the door handle (or you can press the button on the fob.)

This whole locking and unlocking thing was obviously not well though out by Tesla in their rush to create a "futuristic" car.

Suggestion: Does the car sense when you touch the handle? If so, they could have it lock when you quickly tap twice on the handle.

6. HopeToGolf

HopeToGolf Member

Different strokes for different folks...I’m only about two weeks in but so far I like the phone as a key. As long as Tesla can ensure it is reliable, for my use case it works very well. I like getting out of the car, walking away and having it lock. A key fob would work fine but I like the phone key.

7. sperkin

sperkin Member

I also wish there is a beep when it locks. Every morning I look back at my car when going to work. My co-work thinks I have separation anxiety. One even told me to take a picture of it so I can look at my car at my desk.

• Funny x 3
  8. smak

smak Member

Has anybody's car ever not locked when walking away?

Mine never has.

9. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

This is the one phone key-related thing that it does every time. When that Bluetooth LE connection drops an it doesn't sense anyone in the drivers seat, walk-away lock has worked every single time. Not once have I come back to an unlocked car after entering with the phone key.

• Like x 1
  10. OnceAScottie

OnceAScottie Member

I would rather have a lock notification on my phone (only on the phone that was used as phone key, not on all linked phones with the app). The horn would be too loud at the house and I don't like to draw attention in a parking lot with a honk.

11. goldengate

goldengate Member

I love the phone as key, and it works flawlessly... but I would like a "chirp" (NOT a honk, very un-Tesla) when it locks as I'm walking away. Yesterday I had to walk back and forth trying to get it to realize I was leaving so it would auto-lock, then finally opened the app and locked it from there. A chirp would be great.

• Like x 2
  12. jjtsl

jjtsl Member

Agree - a chirp or a beep would work well. Not everyone's phones have worked flawlessly with my M3, especially my wife's android phone so it'll be useful to have an audible confirmation that it is locked.

13. towndrunk

towndrunk Member

I wish I had a dollar for every time some idiot honked his horn while locking his doors after I was in bed (10 pm). My take is it's a stupid habit (pushing the fob button twice) and that only an idiot wouldn't know his door has locked. Just my two cents.

That said, if a beep (like a honk that's milliseconds in length) can make you happy without the sound traveling for miles, go for it.

• Like x 1
  14. MWex

MWex Member

I called and made a feature request for this back in March. I asked that this be configurable (enable/disable). A couple of notes here. If your phone fails to work when you walk up, and, you have to use the key card, your car will not lock when you walk away. Driving to work you may not remember you needed your key card. For those suggesting a notification on your phone, if you park underground where there is no cell service, the car cannot communicate to Tesla and thus the app, so this will not work.

I hope they add this feature!

15. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

It must be an outdated thing now, but when I grew up, some of the phones we used had the ability to produce sounds, and even pick up sound from the environment around them!

16. daniel

daniel Active Member

When I grew up, telephones were black, had dials, and were connected to the wall, and thence to Ma Bell (the phone company) with a black cord.

17. Ethos

Ethos Member

Audible walk away lock confirmation is my number one feature request!!

• Like x 1
  18. smak

smak Member

I think there's quite a few notifications they could add, as long as you can toggle them off.

19. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

When you say they don't work flawlessly, does that include locking as well as unlocking? Locking is a passive operation, the phone doesn't tell the car to lock, the car locks when it can't sense the phone. I would imagine that a faulty phone might cause the car to lock even when you are nearby, but I don't see how the car can ever fail to lock when you walk away.

20. daniel

daniel Active Member

It happened to me one time when the passenger door was not closed all the way. Before I realized the problem I tried to lock it with the key card, and the headlights blinked. But had I just walked away I'd never have known. Maybe the lights would have blinked after I'd walked away.