TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Feature request for walk away lock - configurable horn tweet

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by MarkBrokeIt, Jun 3, 2018.

1. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

I know that at least the rear lights flash when the car locks (and you can see the mirrors fold). But when walking away from your car, you're not going to notice that (and you probably won't hear the mirror motors).

Instead, I'd like to see them offer an option to add a brief honk/some other very audible noise to indicate the car is locked. In my experience, many cars have this today. Seems like an easy config setting to add to the existing security menu.

• Like x 8
  2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Seems reasonably, although I find I can just glance back after walking 15 feet away or so and see that the mirrors are folded.

• Like x 1
  3. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

Agreed that they should either reduce the range where it locks (and reduce the time it takes to lock) or give some other kind of indication besides visual that the car is locked. I'm always paranoid that someone could open a door before the car locks and unless I look back, I'll never know, so I always end up having to wait for it.

• Like x 3
  4. drawfour

drawfour Member

Probably depends on how the car is parked relative to the way you're walking, and whether or not there is a car or larger vehicle next to yours. Parking spots at work are almost always perpendicular to the way I walk towards the stairs in the parking garage, and so if there is a car immediately beside mine, I will absolutely not be able to see the mirrors fold. If the tail lights blinked, though, I could see. But I'm so used to my MDX that has a high beep (not nearly as loud as a honk), that audible is my preference.

• Like x 1
  5. dswansonsb

dswansonsb Member

Agree.

I'd also like to be able to open the car door, touch the lock icon on the screen (so I'm sure the car is locked) and still be able to use my phone's Bluetooth to unlock the car when I walk back to it. Currently I have to use the card or open the app to unlock the car if I lock it with the screen icon.

6. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

When I first read this title, I was under the impression that you wanted your car to automatically create a Tweet that said "Honk honk".

• Funny x 3
  7. djplong

djplong Member

For people who have smartwatches paired to their phones (I have an Apple Watch and iPhone X), it would be nice to have a companion app on the Watch that would look for the specific combination of losing the Bluetooth connection with the phone WHILE the car was unlocked. (Otherwise, every time you walk away from your phone when you're not in the car, you'd get an annoying notification).

This would help keep people from forgetting their phones in the car and, therefore, leaving it open to theft.

• Like x 1
  8. andremc

andremc Member

Could an IFTTT recipe be created to do this?

• Like x 1
  9. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Funny timing for this thread, I've recently been getting very frustrated because I find that walk-away-locking has become less reliable and I've come back to an unlocked car a bunch of times. I removed the non-card keys and re-paired the phone to see if it helps, we'll see…

10. ncsmith4

ncsmith4 Member

100000% agree with this. If I'm parked in a spot that has two cars to the sides, I don't see the mirrors and the lights flash so quickly that you might miss them while walking the other direction.

I REALLY WANT a beep or some audible confirmation.

• Like x 2
  11. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Should be easy to do on Android with Tasker. iOS? Have no idea.

12. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

This is the one thing that I have not had fail...yet. Everything else electronic in the car has glitched at some point, but when I walk away after having entered the car using the phone key, it has locked every single time to the point where I never worry about it anymore. The car and phone do very well not communicating with each other, which is why the walk-away lock always works when the connection is lost. Will update when it finally does fail, which I'm fully expecting.

• Like x 1
  13. pcpro

pcpro Member

I hate horn honks. People can lock the doors while inside the car. However. A simple beep would work for me. Good idea

• Like x 1
  14. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Folded mirrors are best in my opinion because I don't want to draw attention to my car in any way - simply because I locked it.

If anything....the Toyota audible indication is more than enough. No lights flashing either.

• Like x 2
  15. smak

smak Member

Why not just a push notification to your phone?

They could also do what smart locks do, alert you if your car is unlocked when you're not in bluetooth range.

• Like x 2
  16. RedMS

RedMS Member

This feature would nice for and S as well. I’m also paranoid so lock the car manually with the fob

17. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

No. I don't want to have to look at a device. I want to walk away & know they are locked. If I have to look at my phone, I might as well lock from the phone.

• Like x 2
  18. Gyanofcary

Gyanofcary Member

Double it for me.. :)

19. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

I think an audible notification that the car has locked is a great idea. A short beep like other cars would be perfect. There would need to be the option to disable the sound entirely for those who don't want it.

I definitely wouldn't want the sound to be the horn. A honk, even a brief one, is loud and would get obnoxious, especially if getting home late after the rest of the family is asleep. If they were to do that, there should also be a way to turn it off based on location so it can be disabled at home. For that matter, I wish there was a way to disable walk-away lock completely at home since I don't need to keep it locked while in my garage.

• Like x 2
  20. smak

smak Member

There's quite a bit difference between looking at a phone, and locking your doors via the app.

Or have the phone make a certain sound with the lock notification.

I think that's way better than the horn, unless they can simulate a normal sound instead of the horn.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1