Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request -- USB audio from phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what is in the car for BT however I am confident that a wired USB connection would sound better. The limitations that I hear in the 3's sound are largely compression-related. I don't hear these same things via wired USB or directly from the phone.

I don't know what is in the car for BT however I am confident that a wired USB connection would sound better. The limitations that I hear in the 3's sound are largely compression-related. I don't hear these same things via wired USB or directly from the phone.
Assuming that the car does support Apt/AptX, that would explain why some of us (most likely all Android users with Apt/AptX enabled devices) don't hear any audio problems, while you (with an iPhone, which apparently doesn't support Apt/AptX?) complain about BT's audio quality (as the basic BT stereo audio quality without Apt/AptX is fairly mediocre)

I have always found it odd that you couldn't at least get MPT support for the phone when plugged in, similar to a USB flash drive. More options is always better. Though we know how much room for improvement just basic USB support has currently, so who knows when anything like that or the iPod / iPhone USB support were to get implemented.

Assuming that the car does support Apt/AptX, that would explain why some of us (most likely all Android users with Apt/AptX enabled devices) don't hear any audio problems, while you (with an iPhone, which apparently doesn't support Apt/AptX?) complain about BT's audio quality (as the basic BT stereo audio quality without Apt/AptX is fairly mediocre)

I have always found it odd that you couldn't at least get MPT support for the phone when plugged in, similar to a USB flash drive. More options is always better. Though we know how much room for improvement just basic USB support has currently, so who knows when anything like that or the iPod / iPhone USB support were to get implemented.
That's a good point. I have a Pixel 2 and frequently stream YouTube videos for my kids in the back seat. I've never noticed poor audio quality. But there is still a huge difference between that and playing back my lossless audio files via USB stick.

New here - so hi everbody!
I have a t3p since last Friday and absolutely love it.
BUT one thing which I directly noticed was not being able to play music via usb from my phone. I download music from tidal in high quality and would like to play it on the otherwise brilliant audio system.
Seems really odd that this feature is lacking.

You'll need to put it on a USB key and plug into one of the front ports- plays fine that way, just not from phones.

No, it's not Apple-specific. The difference between audio over BT -- any BT implementation -- and wired USB, is real and not that hard to notice. BT is the limiting factor in the M3 sound system for those of us that stream from our phones over Spotify or another service.

Also, it is not possible to put music -- even locally downloaded music -- from Spotify or Tidal onto a USB key. It has to be streamed from the app, on the phone.

This is still a bog black mark on Tesla IMO. Very basic technology, no Apple tax required. It's baffling they have not offered it yet.

No, it's not Apple-specific. The difference between audio over BT -- any BT implementation -- and wired USB, is real and not that hard to notice. BT is the limiting factor in the M3 sound system for those of us that stream from our phones over Spotify or another service.

Also, it is not possible to put music -- even locally downloaded music -- from Spotify or Tidal onto a USB key. It has to be streamed from the app, on the phone.

This is still a bog black mark on Tesla IMO. Very basic technology, no Apple tax required. It's baffling they have not offered it yet.
I still swear I can't tell a difference in my expensive headphones that do both Bluetooth or audio jack. Using AIAIAI headphones... phone has a usb to headphone adapter on my pixel2xl. maybe if I was dreaming flac I could but not 320kbps mp3s. It's maybe the adapter is the limitation?

I think I can tell a difference sometimes in the Tesla though, because I have the same music on my phone as the mp3 drive. maybe it's just their implemention. Maybelline someone can link me to something better to test with...

I'm not convinced it's a Bluetooth limitation though despite the back and forth, but it could be teslas implementation.

I still swear I can't tell a difference in my expensive headphones that do both Bluetooth or audio jack. Using AIAIAI headphones... phone has a usb to headphone adapter on my pixel2xl. maybe if I was dreaming flac I could but not 320kbps mp3s. It's maybe the adapter is the limitation?

I think I can tell a difference sometimes in the Tesla though, because I have the same music on my phone as the mp3 drive. maybe it's just their implemention. Maybelline someone can link me to something better to test with...

I'm not convinced it's a Bluetooth limitation though despite the back and forth, but it could be teslas implementation.
Mp3s drop all frequencies lower than 30hz and higher than 16khz. This means low bass is gone from the track. The compression also tends to blend other frequencies together creating missing sounds at various parts. It's all supposed to be "imperceptible" of course unless you'd used to listening to high quality audio on a hifi system. Then it's painfully obvious. Ear buds, regardless of quality or price are all incapable of reproducing the entire range of sound so if you can't tell the difference between a flac and 320kbps mp3 with them it's because the ear buds are cutting out frequencies making them effectively equal.

AAC is higher quality than SBC standard.

Why doesn't Tesla's Bluetooth support AptX?

Tesla could also have an aux in jack, then you can choose the DAC of your liking. It will go through the DSP anyway and get digitized again I guess.

Mp3s drop all frequencies lower than 30hz and higher than 16khz.

I don't believe that's a general rule- the cutoffs vary by which encoder is used, and what bitrate is encoded.

see for example:
MP3 frequency comparison

the sample isn't being cut off at 16Khz until the bitrate drops down to 128kbs

That said, you'll certainly notice losing frequency range on either end if you have equipment (and ears) good enough to hear it

Mp3s drop all frequencies lower than 30hz and higher than 16khz. This means low bass is gone from the track. The compression also tends to blend other frequencies together creating missing sounds at various parts. It's all supposed to be "imperceptible" of course unless you'd used to listening to high quality audio on a hifi system. Then it's painfully obvious. Ear buds, regardless of quality or price are all incapable of reproducing the entire range of sound so if you can't tell the difference between a flac and 320kbps mp3 with them it's because the ear buds are cutting out frequencies making them effectively equal.
I wasn't saying mp3s don't compress that's the point in them. I'm saying streaming the same mp3 over Bluetooth vs using usb I can't tell any difference.

Has anyone tried using a Raspberry Pi Zero as a "USB Stick" for the car? There is a way to make a Pi Zero act like a standard USB thumb drive to whatever it's plugged in to. But you could also add some background jobs that would allow it to automatically sync your music and offload your sentry mode videos as soon as you connected to your home wifi. With some clever programming it could even be managed using the web browser in the car. (I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this so there are probably a dozen GITHub projects out there that already do this)

Has anyone tried using a Raspberry Pi Zero as a "USB Stick" for the car? There is a way to make a Pi Zero act like a standard USB thumb drive to whatever it's plugged in to. But you could also add some background jobs that would allow it to automatically sync your music and offload your sentry mode videos as soon as you connected to your home wifi. With some clever programming it could even be managed using the web browser in the car. (I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this so there are probably a dozen GITHub projects out there that already do this)
The issue with pi is that you need to make sure it's not writing when the power shuts off down.

The issue with pi is that you need to make sure it's not writing when the power shuts off down.

I found this project...

marcone/teslausb

It says it can keep the Tesla awake while it's working. (I think it uses the same API key that some of the apps use)

I'm going to try it out when I get my Tesla. The hardware is <$50 and I like to tinker with stuff like this. I'm also a programmer so I might be able to contribute if I find something lacking.

Reactions: LakeWorthB
I rented a panel truck last week with zero comfort features and the crappy stereo included USB audio. There is no excuse for not having this and a workaround is both klugey and insulting to owners.

Re using an "aux in", that is no good as the phone's amp will be used and the phone volume will need to be adjusted each use. Line out via USB is the correct solution.

I'm happy for those of you that can't tell the difference, however the difference is there.

• Helpful
Reactions: DelPhonic1
I rented a panel truck last week with zero comfort features and the crappy stereo included USB audio. There is no excuse for not having this and a workaround is both klugey and insulting to owners.

Re using an "aux in", that is no good as the phone's amp will be used and the phone volume will need to be adjusted each use. Line out via USB is the correct solution.

I'm happy for those of you that can't tell the difference, however the difference is there.

Yes indeed. I was thinking of a bare minimum :)

• Helpful
Reactions: DelPhonic1